Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn to the left, the turning radius is tight, it's nice but when I turn to the right, the turning radius is horrible. Is it supposed to be like that or is there some sort of adjustment? or is something wrong?

I checked my power steering fluid, it's fine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It might be the bolts that adjust out to hit the spindle knuckle. They are there to limit how far the wheels turn. Most likely to save joints from binding at extreme angles? or tire rub. One of my 89's do that too. Its not been an issue but do notice the difference. On my other one I have the adjustments are all the way in and it turns much sharper. Im sure it loads the axles hard when turned to lock in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ALso if you or the person who had the truck before you replaced the steering gearbox and didnt center/line up ther splines correctly. that would cause to you to turn farther one way than the other.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Rich -- where are those bolts and where is the spindle nuckle?

@ Key -- I guess I can ask the previous owner that too but I don't think he did, it certainly doesn't look replaced lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a '91 and it seems to do that too. At first I thought it was an illusion from sitting on the left side. (I would ride around the outside of the radius when turning right, and on the inside of the radius when turning left.)

I also found the bolt on the right side steering knuckle was longer.

Now that I've got bigger wheels and tires they rub on the springs with the helm hard-over. The bolts don't matter anymore.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It has to be like that. When turning right your left tire will hit the pitman arm if you go too far. All 4x4s will be like that.

A lot of people lift them and go crossover for that very reason.

You can adjust the screws on your knuckle if you want, but you can only go so far before you hit your pitman arm/draglink connection.

Chris

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I think I'll probably adjust mine a bit because I checked today, the tire isn't even close to the pitman arm or the drag link when I got the wheel cranked all the way. Not being able to turn well to the right is a pretty big pain in the butt when you're driving in the city all the time, especially parking in parking lots.

·
Banned
400 Posts
It Ain't the Pitman

The pitman is keyed at 90deg increments, so it's either correct, or 90/180/270 degrees off. You'd know it for sure if that was the case cause you can't put it togther wrong with stock parts and still be able to drive it at all. It should turn the same distance both ways. Does it have an aftermarket steering stabilizer that is hitting the diff cover or something like that?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Here are the pic of the bump stops. They are on the front of the axle. Sorry for the delay....

One of my 89's turns super sharp both ways. It actually will allow the inner and outer axle yokes to touch if hard over. Just remember the more the wheels turn the easyier the axles will break under load.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha yeah get a pressure washer under there and clean that thing!

Seriously though, thanks for posting the pics. Now I know where the bolt is to adjust, I appreciate it a ton!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The pitman is keyed at 90deg increments, so it's either correct, or 90/180/270 degrees off. You'd know it for sure if that was the case cause you can't put it togther wrong with stock parts and still be able to drive it at all. It should turn the same distance both ways. Does it have an aftermarket steering stabilizer that is hitting the diff cover or something like that?
I guess I should have stated in my original post that I have 35x12.50 MT's. I can't even remember how close it came to the pitman arm with stock tires on it.

At full lock right (passenger) the pitman arm is the limiting factor. At full lock left (driver) the leaf springs are the limiting factor.

With 35's anyway...

Chris

·
Banned
400 Posts
... I have 35x12.50 MT's.
Yeah, I think those would definitely be a limiting factor in your case. :thud:

My BFG AT's are about 33" IIRC, and the stop limiters appear to be in nearly the same position as the ones pictured above. They come within around 2" of either the pitman or the springs (depending on which side you're seeing) at full lock, and move feely all the way from stop-to-stop. I think I am going to need some wheel spacers to go any bigger and keep the same turning radius.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I went to adjust those steering bolts and this is what I found

Turning the truck all the way to the right (I had my dad hold the sterring wheel cranked as far as it would go for both pics), the bolt on the driver side doesn't stop the steering like it should (this is with factory adjustments I think, I haven't touched anything yet). Something else is stopping the steering, I assume it's something with the pump? or something because nothing else is visibly stopping things on either side of the truck.

Driver side steering bolt:

Pass. side where things are as they should:

I don't know something has to be not right here... here's the pic of the pump. Things look normal to me but I don't know what's normal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Holy rust batman! Where do you live?

Chris

·
Banned
400 Posts
Well, considering the one not touching appears to be about a half inch further in than the other one, I wouldn't worry about it. Adjust it out until they are both the same and they will both hit the stops.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, considering the one not touching appears to be about a half inch further in than the other one, I wouldn't worry about it. Adjust it out until they are both the same and they will both hit the stops.
well I suppose it is nothing to worry about but the one that is not touching has extremely poor turning radius to that side, so much so that it makes regular driving cumbersome in the city and especially in parking lots. That's why I want to get it figured out.

I live in Thunder Bay, the land of salted roads in the winter... if you think that's rusted I should post a pic of the old cab I just swapped off my truck because it was so rusted... you'd laugh your face off.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I live in Thunder Bay, the land of salted roads in the winter...
Boats are designed and maintained to survive in harsh salt environments. Everything gets painted. If you were to clean and paint the undercarriage, that truck would live as long as you.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You could paint the damm thing every year and still would rust. Salt migrates everywhere as a mist driving down the road. You can't get it all out. Up here in Maine trucks as new as 2003's are rusting brake lines already. It goes in every nook and cranny.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts