Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, i turned my pump up a little, just enough to be safe i think since i dont have any guages. my only thing is my trubo takes a while to spool up, and when im accelerating or at WOT under load (like WOT at 35mph in fith gear) i get a fair amount of smoke. canny suggestions? all i have done is adjust the smoke screw a little, turned the cone to the deepest part, and turned in the full power screw maybe 1/2 turn. i think. my idle is still a little high... not sure if tht will effect my turbo spool up time.

or do i just need to get a 16 or 14 cm turbo?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Get guages, I am not touching my plate or pump till my gauges get here. All you need is a Boost and EGt. get a 0-60psi boost gauge.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
gauges are cheaper than pistons. Besides they are fun to watch.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,578 Posts
You don't say if your truck is IC'd or not. If someone has turned the pump like your sig shows you have no idea where your at on EGT's. A high idle is an indication of pump being turned up. If your a nonIC'd truck they run hotter stock than a IC'd truck does.

Turn the pump back down and get gages.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i readjusted the pump myself. im getting guages soon. believe me. as soon as i sell my stack im getting a pyro, then im getting a boost guage right after. i DO have an IC. does smoke mean heat? ill back the pump back down tomorrow. at least the one fancy fuel screw. im not messing with that cone again, not until i buy a deny t puller pin if i can ever track him down.. also, my smoke screw (or the screw under the brass cap)... the locknut is stripped. any suggestion?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just picked up a tach, pyro, boost guage and pod from Summit Racing. I will install soon and get baseline numbers before I touch any adjustments.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Could you really be in danger with the fuel screw turned in to the lock collar on an IC'd truck? My non-I/C could only get over 1250 with the screw in to the lock collar going up a big hill...

·
June ROTM Winner
377 Posts
Could you really be in danger with the fuel screw turned in to the lock collar on an IC'd truck? My non-I/C could only get over 1250 with the screw in to the lock collar going up a big hill...

YES every truck reacts differant..

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,578 Posts
Every truck is different.

My truck with stock injectors empty I could hit 1050 with stock pump settings on flat ground.

How much fuel screw would have been needed to make liquid pistons???

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keep in mind i have a HUGE, short, exhaust and a BHAF. that should be helping me some. i am going to back everything back accept the cone today.

anny suggestions on the stripped smoke screw lock nut?

·
June ROTM Winner
377 Posts
Look up Seattle injection on google call them they should have lots of them fuel pins and nuts. Real nice people to deal with..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not to beat a drunk horse too much, but at least get a pyro before anything else. You should be O.K. with the smaller i.c. injectors, but why take the chance? It's a small price to pay for peace of mind, and should be the first "mod" on any diesel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah. im ordering two guages this weekend, and getting a little tach at advanced or something. im also going to go to lowes and look for a new nut if i cant get ahold of one through seattle injection, or somewhere else.

where should i order my guage from? looking not to spend a ton of money. fuel is WAY expensive as it is. haha.

·
First Generation Moderator
2,170 Posts
The smoke screw is just a screw. With a lock nut. Go to the hardware store. If you like, I will pull one from my collection as I don't have everything memorized, and tell you the size/thread pitch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts