Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

turbos shot need BOV

1653 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  49inchbogger
hey guys my turbos are toast from all the turbo bark i need to put a blow off valve on my truck dont really want to drop $600 on the one from bd i'd to do a custom
setup any help or ideas would be great
thanks in advance
kurtis
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Some-Sho Some-Go
1,650 Posts
Diesel don't generally have blow off valves, we use wastegates...a blow off valve works off the throttle blade to close the intake tract which we don't have.

· Vendor
13,011 Posts
you need a bigger than stock turbo for your mods, you should be at size 5 or 6 with your mods

Max HP = Efficient Max HP at the wheels... (I don't want anyone saying I made 450HP on my stock charger because its not good for your turbo or your truck and failure is just around the corner.)
1. hy35 Max HP 280-300
2. hx35 Max HP 300-320
3. hx35/40 Max HP 320-350
4. SuperB 57mm / s300/ HX40 Max HP 400-425
5. 62mm s300 Max HP 450-500
6. 64mm s300 Max HP 500-550

you can do more, but once you get to this level you should not starve your engine for air... look into a turbo upgrade that matches the power you want to produce.

· Registered
77 Posts
his sig says he has bd tow twins and 155hp injectors. those turbos can't handle those injectors? What would be wrong with a blowoff valve? If your turbo is barking when you let off and you don't have egt issues at WFO. A bov would let the boost pressure out so the turbo doesn't bark, And to help keep everything spinning the right way one could plumb the bov back into the intake pre turbo, help spoolin between shifts as well I would imagine.

· Vendor
13,011 Posts
didn't see the twins sorry.

commas help

· Registered
77 Posts
Ya, I read it a few times to make sure I didn't miss anything, His sig and your first post had me a little confused at first. By the way you should be able to find a bunch of BOVs on ebay.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys i i have found many bov's on ebay even some kits for turbo diesels but i really dont know what size blow off valve i need to control my turbo bark help please
thanks again
kurtis

· Registered
434 Posts
here is something cool that i have been looking into... It doesnt say that it for diesel applications, but since i first read about it in one of the diesel performance magazines i would imagine that it will work. But it is new product so i cant find much info on it.

Has anyone else heard of, or seen one of these? and will they work on large turbos making 50+ psi?

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/duo35_gunmetal

· Registered
918 Posts
I'm curious how old your turbos are. I know of a few problems with the longevity of BD units and was hoping this isn't the case here. You need a diesel specific BOV because with no throttle blades and no vacuum it has no way of knowing when you are off the throttle. That's why the diesel BOVs are so spendy, because they require an electrical signal from the APPS to know when to dump manifold pressure. I believe the BD one has a seperate controller so you can fine tune it to your driving style. You could avoid all this by not treating the throttle like an on/off switch! And as a former owner of a six speed truck, I know this is not very easy to do!

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think it was on here that i was reading that someone said to just run a linne from the exhaust before the turbo to the bov and when i let off the throttle and drive pressure dropped then the bov would open has anyone tried this method
thanks
kurtis

· Registered
584 Posts
the heat from your exhaust will tear that BOV up pretty quickly if you do that. Most BOV are driven by vacuum.

· Registered
613 Posts
I thought bd towing twins were also designed to eliminate barking. Ie through r&d they found a good match and eliminated most barking.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if im not mistaken i read that if i coiled up a good length of copper tube from the drive pressure side that would help with the heat issue
thanks for all the info guys

· Registered
77 Posts
I think the coopper tube would help for sure. what if you used an external waste gate like a 38mm. That should work just fine and be able to take the heat as well

· Vendor
13,011 Posts
I sell a copper tubing kit for drive pressure, or you can make one. Either way its cheap.

· Vendor
13,011 Posts
never tried it. I think it would be better to just get a BOV

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would think that the waste gate would act more like a pop off valve then a blow off valve and open when you hit a predetermind amount of boost were as the blow off valve would be used for when you let off the accelerator quickly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.