Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Turbo

1780 25
I Am Running A Stock Turbo With 100 Horse Injectors And Edge Comp And Some Other Stuff I Pull A Camper Or Livestock Trailer Every Once In A While But Want A Good All Around Turbo Someone Have Any Advice What About A Hybrid Would That Be Ok Thanks
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
I've been watching the thread about retrofitting the he351 from the the 3rd gens to our trucks. I think if my turbo ever dies that's the direction I'll probably head.

· Registered
125 Posts
I would go with a HX-40 or even head up to a 62/65/12

· Registered
918 Posts
I'm running a HTT 62/65/13ss and DDP 110s and have been VERY happy with it's towing and street manners. It pulls really hard and is fun to play around with the Comp box turned up, but can be driven normally with little to no smoke and very manageable EGTs when you need to tow or just daily drive it. Couldn't ask for a better setup for what I do with the truck.

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
if i were you id go for something like a II Phat Shaft 62/71/14. they are real nice turbos for towing
isnt the phat shaft a 62/65 ??

I dont think you need a 71mm turbine for 100hp injectors. Id say a s300g 57/65/14 or a 62/65/13 or 14.

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
its a 62/71/14. my buddy has one in his dually that he tows with regulary with 100hp injectors and he loves it
From there website The Original PhatShaft turbochargers

The original PhatShaft is the perfect replacement turbo for towing. The PhatShaft can be purchased with a 12 or 14 turbine housing matched with a 65mm turbine. We suggest a 12 cm turbine housing if the truck is a 12 Valve and has moderate fueling upgrades such as 300hp injectors and a camplate. If the truck has heavier fueling upgrades such as aggressive fueling electronics, 370hp injectors, aggressive camplate and/or governor springs then you will be better suited with 14cm housing. The benefit of the 14cm exhaust housing is lower Exhaust Gas Temperatures but it will be slower to spool in daily driving situations. The original PhatShaft is available in 3 different compressor sizes, 62mm, 64mm, and 66mm. All three compressors have extended tip technology. The wategate is set at 40psi to prevent head gasket failure on the PhatShaft 62 and 45psi on the PhatShaft 64 and 66. All PhatShaft turbochargers are equipped with dual grooved bearings and an adjustable boost elbow. The original PhatShaft compliments moderate fueling upgrades and can support 300 - 550hp.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how does the hybrid turbo work

· Registered
1,368 Posts
how does the hybrid turbo work
are you talking about the hx35/40 hybrid? i have heard good and bad about it. some people like them and others have broken the shaft whithin one month of puting them on. for the cost, they are too high imo you could spend the same ammount or less and get a better turbo that wont be as likely to break. same with the hx40's i have heard they are real easy to break shafts. just back out to quickly and cause it to surge and snap.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
the 35/40 will break a shaft about as fast as a hx35 will break a shaft...how many broken 35's you seen?? it uses the 35 shaft and machines slightly to fit a 40's wheel on it. long as your machinist isnt an idiot and cuts into the shaft too deep, it should be fine.

the hybrid swaps the hx35 compressor housing and wheel off, for an hx40 compressor housing and wheel (NOT THE SHAFT!!!) to you swap a 56 wheel for a 60 wheel. basically building a 60/60/12. i run mine hard every day and no probs...hell turbolvr is running 3 of them in compound triplets!!! :shock: hes using 58 wheels though.

BTW: hybrids can easily be upgraded to compound twins using the stock/ht3b kit. it will all bolt up exactly the same only you will have even more flow available...

· Registered
1,368 Posts
the 35/40 will break a shaft about as fast as a hx35 will break a shaft...how many broken 35's you seen?? it uses the 35 shaft and machines slightly to fit a 40's wheel on it. long as your machinist isnt an idiot and cuts into the shaft too deep, it should be fine.

the hybrid swaps the hx35 compressor housing and wheel off, for an hx40 compressor housing and wheel (NOT THE SHAFT!!!) to you swap a 56 wheel for a 60 wheel. basically building a 60/60/12. i run mine hard every day and no probs...hell turbolvr is running 3 of them in compound triplets!!! :shock: hes using 58 wheels though.

BTW: hybrids can easily be upgraded to compound twins using the stock/ht3b kit. it will all bolt up exactly the same only you will have even more flow available...
ok tell me this. what size is the stock hx35 compressor?56mm. and what happens when you go from a 56 to a 60? the load goes up exponentially. so ya i have only heard of one hx35 breaking a shaft but i have heard of a heck of a lot more 35/40's breaking shafts. i read just the other night i gie broke one within a month of buying it and puting it on...explain that one to me. i dont know what he did or what caused it to break but i know they are more fragile that the 35 because there is more load on a shaft with 60mm compressor than there ever would have been with a 56mm.

and ask turbolovr how much more stress there is on the shaft when you put a bigger compressor wheel on it. i have heard of people puting titanium shafts in and not breaking them mabe he is runing those. and is he runing 3 hx35/40's? i think you need two smaller and one biger just like twins...but i dont know much about tripples.

· Registered
7,762 Posts
I barked my hybrid all the time, having to shift with a clutch pedal, when I was running it and it didn't break. I think the extra weight on the turbine wheel end of an HX40/65mm turbine wheel must have had something to do with those shafts breaking.
Does the boost pressure reverse the compressor wheel in a bark situation?

· Registered
9,857 Posts
ok tell me this. what size is the stock hx35 compressor?56mm. and what happens when you go from a 56 to a 60? the load goes up exponentially. so ya i have only heard of one hx35 breaking a shaft but i have heard of a heck of a lot more 35/40's breaking shafts. i read just the other night i gie broke one within a month of buying it and puting it on...explain that one to me. i dont know what he did or what caused it to break but i know they are more fragile that the 35 because there is more load on a shaft with 60mm compressor than there ever would have been with a 56mm.

and ask turbolovr how much more stress there is on the shaft when you put a bigger compressor wheel on it. i have heard of people puting titanium shafts in and not breaking them mabe he is runing those. and is he runing 3 hx35/40's? i think you need two smaller and one biger just like twins...but i dont know much about tripples.
negative. for compound twins you want 1 small and 1 that is twice its size. 2:1 ratio is the ideal compound twin ratio. so mathematically 3 identical turbo's having 2 on top both feeding off fresh air and both reducing into one on the bottom to re-compress the air to even higher pressures is a perfect 2:1 ratio. and yes, hes running 3 hybrids, says spool up is like stock, and he hits high boost pretty fast and holds those boost levels letting off better than twins do. said his next project was either gonna be triple 62's or triple he351's

· Registered
1,368 Posts
negative. for compound twins you want 1 small and 1 that is twice its size. 2:1 ratio is the ideal compound twin ratio. so mathematically 3 identical turbo's having 2 on top both feeding off fresh air and both reducing into one on the bottom to re-compress the air to even higher pressures is a perfect 2:1 ratio. and yes, hes running 3 hybrids, says spool up is like stock, and he hits high boost pretty fast and holds those boost levels letting off better than twins do. said his next project was either gonna be triple 62's or triple he351's
ya i know a good ammount about twins. i want to build a he351 or just my stocker for now above an ht3b and later s475. but i guess i just never put the connection together that twins had a 2:1 ratio and it makes sense that tripples would have the same.

i dont want to argue with you i have just heard of the 35/40 being more fragile. but i have heard of somebody runing a TI shaft in an hx40 and not breaking it so i wonder if there is one made for the 35...just a though. it might cost too much to change idk.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
I'd do stock over ht3b or stock over s475. cheaper in the long run and that stock charger is very flexible...you can change turbine housings for more fuel to reach higher boost levels, can change the turbine wheel to several diff wheels, and can change compressor side to make a hybrid pretty easy too. a lot of kits available to mod the hx35.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I'd do stock over ht3b or stock over s475. cheaper in the long run and that stock charger is very flexible...you can change turbine housings for more fuel to reach higher boost levels, can change the turbine wheel to several diff wheels, and can change compressor side to make a hybrid pretty easy too. a lot of kits available to mod the hx35.
ya thats what i was thinking for now because im cheap at the moment. and i called banks about their exhaust housing and they want 600$+ for it! :shock: i was like forget that. ya the hx is tough i know people that have run the h3ll out of them with no problems and i have heard the hx35 over 3b is good for about 600 and spools like stock but where the 35 runs out the 3b keeps pulling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.