Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have an idea on a turbo upgrade on my truck right now i have the stock turbo thats on a 98 12v motor. done the air filter and 4" exh, just looking for more fuel milage and pulling power and better around town and high way driving but i have to say love the turbo wine to lol was think something like the holeset x40 and what would be a good programmer or chip 4 my truck

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought that 12v didn't have chips to program?

And would a turbo upgrade pay for its self in fuel savings?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see new to this and i see theres alot or programers out there for the 98.5 but i thought there was chips or programes that would help mine out to not sure though

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cant program 12vers gotta get dirty. The HX40 is kinda laggy with no mods. Especially if you have an auto.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you start adding power you are gonna need tranny work. The stockers poop out pretty quick when you start getting some snort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
just had the tranny gone trough its ready for more plower, new bilet conveter, better valve body, more lock up persure

·
Registered
502 Posts
modded cummins destroys trannies. even on a brand new tranny that is stock. i would keep the power down unless you ready to drop another $1500+ on a torque converter and valve body.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you feel gutsy do the free stuff first. Adjust the wastegate and get a boost fitting. Cut the fuel plate and mess with the starwheel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You have gauges, right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no gauges yet thats the next thing what about adjusting wastegate and get a boost fitting

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can adjust the wastegate some to up the pressure needed to open it but the elbow is a cheap and easy way to increase boost. The bad thing is you will also increase EGTs.

Get gauges FIRST.

Start with pyro, 60 psi boost and trans temp. Later if you feel the need you might want a fuel pressure gauge, second boost gauge (for twins) drive pressure gauge, intake air temp gauge, intercooler inlet temp gauge, intercooler outlet temp gauge, rear diff temp gauge etc. Most of these are only used for tuning but its your truck, do as you wish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know i want to install first the pyro, 60 psi boost and trans temp for sure and like you say go from there i have also hear about putting a fuel plate in it to

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok let me start out if you had just bought a 5.9 12v ram 3500 you had the tranny concerns taken , done the air, exh. upgrades only 50,000 on the truck next is to put in gauges to make sure everything is in check WHATS NEXT you want to keep your { mpg } and want more power and if even better mpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts