Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install a turbo timer on there truck? I have done a search and only found guys with chips having turbo timers, I don't have a chip and don't plan on one. So what timer should I get and how should it install? I would love to get the edge CTS monitor but buy the time I get it and the turbo timer adapter I will be into it for over $600.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
If you really want to save money don't bother with it at all. New oils make turbo timers a thing of the past. Back in the day there was a sign on the sun visor with instructions to let the engine run for 15 minutes before shutting down. Nobody wants you to do this anymore, if it was an issue dodge would have said something. The only time you need to worry about it is when you are really on it, then just give it 30 seconds and shut her down.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you just want to get a chip for the turbo timer then it isn't worth it. If you run your truck hard just let it sit for a minute or so. Just be smart and don't shut the truck off immediately after running hard and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
the problem is the impellers continue to spin much longer after you shut it down and of course they are spinning with no fuel pressure to lubricate them. If I come off the highway I let mine idle for a minute , thats what my timer is set to, and then it shuts down. Runnin twins and dont want to do anything to shorten there life, too much money invested. I also run synthetic 0 w 40 which is much better at holding together at high temps than dino oil. I have the edge juice attitude and no adapter needed. Just hook it up and go.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
the problem is the impellers continue to spin much longer after you shut it down and of course they are spinning with no fuel pressure to lubricate them. If I come off the highway I let mine idle for a minute , thats what my timer is set to, and then it shuts down. Runnin twins and dont want to do anything to shorten there life, too much money invested. I also run synthetic 0 w 40 which is much better at holding together at high temps than dino oil. I have the edge juice attitude and no adapter needed. Just hook it up and go.
The impellers have nothing to do and are no where close to any fuel. They also don't spin much longer after shut down. Maybe for 30 seconds, and that has no effect on the life of the turbo.

The entire reason for a turbo timer is so engine oil didn't sit inside a hot turbo and gunk up the turbo with burnt oil. Oil now can withstand much higher temps than oils of the past. As long as you don't run very hard and shut down right away you are fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The impellers have nothing to do and are no where close to any fuel. They also don't spin much longer after shut down. Maybe for 30 seconds, and that has no effect on the life of the turbo.

The entire reason for a turbo timer is so engine oil didn't sit inside a hot turbo and gunk up the turbo with burnt oil. Oil now can withstand much higher temps than oils of the past. As long as you don't run very hard and shut down right away you are fine.
i agree with this guy ^, but i still always let my truck run for atleas 15-30 secs before i shut her down,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Synthetic oil is dino oil with polymers added along with alot of other additives.
Like the others said oil today is much better, you wont see any new cimmins with a warning on the visor.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I realize that in a lot of instances just shutting it off would be just fine. I only let mine run on the minute cool down if I came off a highway and pulled in to stop somewhere. This dissipates the heat from egts and allows the turbines to come to a complete stop before starving them of oil. May be overkill to you guys but I would rather error on side of caution with a very expensive set of twins. Also synthetics generally outperform dino oil in any tests I have seen. Again maybe overkill IDK but I prefer peace of mind with some very expensive parts. IMO

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The turbine doesnt stop moving until the engine is shut down. It is spinning at all times the engine is running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts