Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I finally have the money for a new turbo and I have spent countless hours seaching the forum, but I am still not sure which one to buy.....there are so many options that I just get confused when I start looking........I have a smarty tnt, built trans, afe stage 2, fass 150, banks intercooler, 5inch exhaust, and gauges, and I plan on getting studs and more fueling upgrades later......looking at a silver 62 but I think it will be too big for what I have now, but not later? Help

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I saw this one in the May 08 issue of Diesel Power: Garrett TR30R from Honeywell Turbo Technologies. It's made of titanium and costs between $4K-$6K. Just throwing that out there for you. :thumbsup

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6k for a turbo is way too much i was thinking 2k or so

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so what is the difference between the silver 62 and the sps62 besides the wheels?

·
Registered
344 Posts
ok, so what is the difference between the silver 62 and the sps62 besides the wheels?
The silver 62 flows a little more air...not by much but it does.....plus the wastegate flows more, so its harder too drive through the wastegate. Then the biggest plus is the lower drive pressures because of the larger turbine and better wastgate.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just put an HTT 62/71/13ss on and i love it. i can honestly say that it spools nearly as fast as a stocker to 10lbs, and once it hits that point it rips to 45lbs in a heartbeat.:peelout

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The silver 62 flows a little more air...not by much but it does.....plus the wastegate flows more, so its harder too drive through the wastegate. Then the biggest plus is the lower drive pressures because of the larger turbine and better wastgate.
does the silver 62 have more lag than the sps62? i just need a good turbo that is not too big for what I have right now but can support the mods I will have in the future.....120-180hp sticks and a pump that can feed them

·
2,246 Posts
120-180hp sticks might get a little hot even with the silver 62 unless you really push that turbo later on. What kind of power are you looking for in the long run?

·
Registered
344 Posts
it does have more lag....but just a split second.....but if you are gonna be running injectors any bigger than 90hp, then you may want to consider a 64

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im looking for a good streetable truck during the week then a 12second sleeper on the weekends, but I don't want to buy 2 turbos.....this is getting really hard! I might just buy the silver 64 and use it as a paper weight until I get enough cash for sticks:$:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im also looking into turbos. I was told to check out the High Tech turbos.instead of buying one for the truck now and later wanting a bigger turbo and paying allot more money, for like $250 you can send it back and upgrade the turbo. i was also looking into the silver 64 also. havent decided yet. good luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so if I get a 62 then later i can upgrade to a 64? That is what Im looking for not buying a whole new turbo.

·
2,246 Posts
You can upgrade it later to a 64 or even a 66. My suggestion would either be a silver 62 from II, they will also upgrade their turbos or the HTT62/71/13ss. I have the 64/71/13ss and I feel that it is very streetable even with stock injectors.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have a SPS62 and I love it now!!! It was very laggy when I first got it, but now after approx. 500miles it has loosened up significantly and spools almost as quick as stock. You can see my mods in my sig, and with this new turbo and running the TNT from SMARTY I think I can get into low 13's and with some squeeze get 12's...where with the stocker on WILD 4.11 I was at [email protected] you can upgrade the SPS to a 66 when you need to....JMHO!!!

Temps with SMARTY WILD 4.11 and TNT both on lvl #9 temps stay in check at 1350*:thumbsup

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
which one do you think would be the better buy the sps or the silver? if I wanted to upgrade later to bigger injectors

1 - 20 of 26 Posts