Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any last min tips tricks on a turbo swap?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Remove the turbo and manifold in one piece, If you try to separate the turbo off of the manifold first you will loose your religion by the end of it.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
LOL! Ain't that the truth. My wife is pretty religious and last time I tried pulling just the turbo off I had to go inside and tell her to not come outside under any circumstances!!!!!

·
05 CUMMINS
1,618 Posts
What both of these guys said.
I have done it both ways, a lot easier with manifold.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys i got it on i only took the turbo off one bolt was a B but i got it. Now im only seeing 24-25 psi with wastgate clamped shut( maybe not tight enough) and my egts seem to climb faster that what i remember before. Possible boost leak??Running 70-75 im seeing close to 800* with the 341 i was at 700* and make 34 psi @ WOT. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Ok guys i got it on i only took the turbo off one bolt was a B but i got it. Now im only seeing 24-25 psi with wastgate clamped shut( maybe not tight enough) and my egts seem to climb faster that what i remember before. Possible boost leak??Running 70-75 im seeing close to 800* with the 341 i was at 700* and make 34 psi @ WOT. What do yall think?
Check your IC pipes and make sure the clamps are tight. Your cruising temps witth a 351 should be almost identical to the 341

Sounds like your wastegate clamp isn't tight enough. Has to be air tight. Can I send you a picture message of what I did for my wastegate line on your phone?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please do......

·
Registered
212 Posts
i wanna see and know the results i want to do this swap

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey mike i didnt mess with anything else yet, im goin to here in a little bit, still making 28-29PSI whats the best way to look for boost leaks? soapy water??

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I've heard some guys use flour on here, just put it around the joints but Im not sure how that would go. If all your IC pipes are snug then you should be good. I'm willing to bet its that solenoid

I may be going to Houston some time this week I may have to swing by and check it out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey mike i tried the trick you showed me hit 42 psi thanks again man

·
Registered
81 Posts
what trick...im having same issues...

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Here's my fix:

2 bolts that fit tight along with 2 clamps.

esiegel: What year is your truck? I wouldn't do this mod on anything after an early 04

·
Registered
212 Posts
ohh i see how its diff i think so the elect peice can be replaced with the boost elbow? if one has one correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts