Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a few weeks ago - turbo was not kicking in when it was supposed to under acceleration. I had no turbo, then eventually it would all of a sudden kick in.

I then had the opposite problem - too much turbo. Pressure would shoot up to 45 and stay there, even in neutral. RPM's were up slightly, and whole truck would shake. After shutting truck off, turbo pressure and exhaust gauges would not drop to 0 for at least 30 seconds. After a short rest, truck would start up fine with no problems.

Brought to garage and found out hose from Banks actuator had split. After new hose I thought problem was fixed until couple days later, turbo shoots back to 45. Had to wait till exhaust temp was at 380, then turbo released pressure to drive. Once idle temp got to over 410, turbo locked back to 45. Was able to drive to garage in this condition, stopping every few miles once turbo locked, waiting 5-10 minutes to cool, etc.

Garage took turbo off. Waste gate didn't seem like it was sticking. Replaced Banks actuator. Two days later (today), turbo shoots up and locks at 45 again - this time in stop & go traffic with my truck camper on. Did it twice in the traffic, then no issues rest of day.

This is a random problem with the turbo - hard to repeat (except for the time before actuator replacement). Sometimes it works perfectly. Going back to garage tomorrow. Any suggestions?????

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
It really sounds like a waste gate is not releasing the pressure and is set to high. Make sure there is no restriction in the hose that was replaced. Take it off and look in nozzle on both ends, try to see if a magnet will pull anything out of the nozzles and then run a stiff wire down in to them and make sure they are not blocked

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CTDFan5.9 - but there is no blockage in the hose. Any other ideas or suggestions?? This is a very random problem - most of time truck runs fine, then it just gets an attitude and locks the turbo at 45psi. Garage is having hard time figuring out what is wrong as they are not able to repeat the situation there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts