Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Non IC 90. How much shaft play is acceptable? I have some end play, I also have some lateral play.

What options are out there? Rebuild? Refurbished? Not looking to hotrod...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Non IC 90. How much shaft play is acceptable? I have some end play, I also have some lateral play.

What options are out there? Rebuild? Refurbished? Not looking to hotrod...

A tiny bit of in and out is ok and even factory that seem like they have a ton of up and down play but as long as the wheel isn’t touching the housing it is good to go, these are super simple turbos to rebuild.... find a genuine holeset rebuild kit and really good snap ring pliers then use a YouTube video as instructions. Pretty simple!!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quick search for a rebuild kit came up with a roto master from diesel performance products. Or should I go to Cummins and get their kit, assuming they have one?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Side to side play should be near-zero. End play is ok for a small amount. Remember, oil pressure will take up some of the slack.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Mine is pretty loose...probably 1/8" end to end, and at least that laterally. It surprised me how much play it had...the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks I had were almost no lateral and a minor amount end to end.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I bought a kit on Amazon that had some upgraded part in it about a year ago, I could link you to it if your interested.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
It was my first time rebuilding one and it was like anything else just remember how it came apart. It was about 1.5 years ago and still going strong.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was my first time rebuilding one and it was like anything else just remember how it came apart. It was about 1.5 years ago and still going strong.
I ordered that kit tonight, will install it this weekend since I have the intake off and will have the exhaust loosened up.

Will let you know the results...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, looked the turbo over a little closer, looks like it has been touching the housing...just barely, enough to see it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you mark the compressor wheel and shaft for balance?

Mine has a 6-point nut, which I understand means it is balanced after the fact as an assembly and that the individual components aren't balanced.

Did you use anything for a guide to the teardown and assembly?

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Did you mark the compressor wheel and shaft for balance?
To my knowledge all holeset turbos are individual balanced so clicking of the wheels doesn’t matter. That being said when I rebuilt my turbo I marked it and put everything back in the same location just to be sure.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, went and got the thread locker for this project...plan to pull it tonight and see what trouble I get into.

I did find another reference, from a diesel performance place, to the early Holsets that have a six-point nut being balanced as an assembly and not component balanced. I'm lucky that way, mine is a six-point nut...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All the instructions I've seen show blue thread lock on the aluminum parts and body and red on the main shaft nut?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Instructions are lacking...link to utube video doesn't work...

Otherwise it looks like a decent kit...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it's off...it has been leaking oil into the intake, that likely explains some things. Pictures to come later...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts