Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be doing a live web stream today 2/12/16 at 2:00 PM mountain standard time. We will have it set up where you can ask questions if you want via chat. If you cannot watch it live it will be uploaded to our youtube channel, and also on the video tab in our entertainment section. This is the first episode of a whole series that we will be doing. We are going to do the math to size turbos appropriately to the given goals. Then we are going to dyno a bunch of different turbos to see how they perform. For today we are just going to spend about 20 minutes on the math. Tune in live here.

Live - Power Driven Diesel

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trying to remove this reply from the AFC Live thread. I didn't realize you have a Turbo School thread so figured I continue the conversation here.

Okay, I've watched all three turbo schools a few times each and have my head wrapped around it all.
After you complete the basics of turbo school, are you planning on touching on compound turbo school? I know the calculations would be much more complicated since your dealing with two different turbos, but I feel compounds are becoming much more common these days especially for street trucks.

Also, will you be speaking about fueling in coorliation with turbos?

BTW...... THANK YOU for taking the time to go through all this. I've always shied away From digging deep into turbos and stuck with modifying other things, or just using a tried and true turbo that's been tested because I knew there was a whole mess of calculations involved in picking turbos. Your full explanations opens a whole new world to me, as I'm sure it does others as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Also,
When I started crunching numbers for my setup, I used the 4.0 pressure ratio in my calculations.
Turns out the BorgWarner 362SXE puts me at 72% in that map, which isn't too bad, but I'd like to get more into the 75-78% range.

I started looking at other maps and noticed that a lot of turbo manufacturer maps don't go up to 4.0.

Can you explain the advantage/disadvantage of going higher or ,owner on the pressure ratio range?
For example, what are the effects of dropping to a 2.0 range?
Is there a reccomended pressure ratio range to be in?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also,
When I started crunching numbers for my setup, I used the 4.0 pressure ratio in my calculations.
Turns out the BorgWarner 362SXE puts me at 72% in that map, which isn't too bad, but I'd like to get more into the 75-78% range.

I started looking at other maps and noticed that a lot of turbo manufacturer maps don't go up to 4.0.

Can you explain the advantage/disadvantage of going higher or ,owner on the pressure ratio range?
For example, what are the effects of dropping to a 2.0 range?
Is there a reccomended pressure ratio range to be in?
dropping to a 2.0 PR will mean less boost and less power. There is not really a recommended PR, just depends on your application and what you want to do. Also I like to be at the far right of the map for max power, if you are in the middle of the map at max power then you will have a very laggy turbo under normal driving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts