Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a Htt ProStreet 66/71/16SS stainless turbo and am wondering if the 16 cm2 housing is appropriate or should I use a 14 cm2 housing....

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am buying a Htt ProStreet 66/71/16SS stainless turbo and am wondering if the 16 cm2 housing is appropriate or should I use a 14 cm2 housing....

I ran that exact same turbo 66/71/16 cm for over a year

neither .......Go with the 64/65/13 ss :thumbsup for your mods and application you will be much happier guy !!
the 13 ss will out flow the 14 cm cast housing & spool way quicker then the 16cm ss

64/65/13ss better for everyday driving & much quicker spool :peelout

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got the 62/65/13 ss and it spooled to slow for towing and my egt's were up about 200 degrees with light loads. I ended up putting on a 12 cast which helped, but one of the guys at II told me the problem wasn't my housing it was the exhaust wheel. 3rd gens should be running a 71 and not the 65 that HTT set me up with according to him. He said the 65 works good on the older motors, but the 3rd gens have plenty of pressure to spin the 71 and it is a better match. Just some more opinions to help make your choice harder.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
with your mods youll hate life w/ that turbo at the most you need is a HTT 62/71/13ss

·
Registered
829 Posts
Don't buy the II 65 3rd gen story

I have had 4 different turbos on my truck & for a single turbo application if you need more power then a 64 compressor can provide and quicker spool then a 65 wheel then you need twins speaking from first hand experience and $$ spent

BTW his mods will be plenty to push a single 66/71/16cm the TNT-r or 4.2 4.3 4.4 beta is plenty of programming ! the 66/71/16cm is just going to be doggy setup unless you like to boost launch at 15-20lbs minimum from a stop the 66/71/13 ss would be better but IMO still too big for a single on the street

the 64/65/13ss will give you about the best of all worlds in a single turbo on the street

with the 64/65/13ss if drive-pressure - spooling egts- or power is an issue YOU NEED TWINS

I don't like a hot egt , doggy - low end , slow spooling , big turbo on the street ( really not fun to drive at all ) now a big single on a drag truck or a dyno queen truck that is a very different story !

·
2,247 Posts
I agree with desertchecker, the 66 will be very laggy for the street. The 65 wheel will spool faster, but if your putting more fuel through it, drive pressures may be high as well as egts. I have the 64/71/13ss and love it. With a set of 90hp injectors it would be faster spool than stock. Egts with some added pressure now will not go over 1230. It also tow's extremely well. What are your power goals and what do you do with the truck? That will help with the choice you want to make.....

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Don't buy the II 65 3rd gen story

I have had 4 different turbos on my truck & for a single turbo application if you need more power then a 64 compressor can provide and quicker spool then a 65 wheel then you need twins speaking from first hand experience and $$ spent

BTW his mods will be plenty to push a single 66/71/16cm the TNT-r or 4.2 4.3 4.4 beta is plenty of programming ! the 66/71/16cm is just going to be doggy setup unless you like to boost launch at 15-20lbs minimum from a stop the 66/71/13 ss would be better but IMO still too big for a single on the street

the 64/65/13ss will give you about the best of all worlds in a single turbo on the street

with the 64/65/13ss if drive-pressure - spooling egts- or power is an issue YOU NEED TWINS

I don't like a hot egt , doggy - low end , slow spooling , big turbo on the street ( really not fun to drive at all ) now a big single on a drag truck or a dyno queen truck that is a very different story !
I like what Desert has to say... :thumbsup

You gotta do some soul searching. If your priority is streetability, you gotta humble yourself a bit. But if you wanna run #9 and get off the porch your looking in the right direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts