Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some reading on turbo barking. and come to the conclusion that i'm having this problem. and i was woundering how an after maket turbo can pevent this. and what the differance is between the brands I'm not looking to make big hp. so i want a drop in replacment. and was looking at the bd super b.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody???

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just put on Super B Special. I love it. Boost comes up quickly with no real lag compared to stock.

With the SMARTY on level 9, it tags 50 lbs after lock up.

No barking as this turbo is just under the size where this is a problem. Compressor is a 63 and turbine is a 65. This unit is a new size from Borg-Warner with a smaller turbine for quicker spool.

·
Registered
521 Posts
confused

I just put on Super B Special. I love it. Boost comes up quickly with no real lag compared to stock.

With the SMARTY on level 9, it tags 50 lbs after lock up.

No barking as this turbo is just under the size where this is a problem. Compressor is a 63 and turbine is a 65. This unit is a new size from Borg-Warner with a smaller turbine for quicker spool.
sorry, new to all this, I have heard a stock turbo bark if you let off the go peddle to quick with built up boost, so what I am wondering from what your saying the BD super B is smaller than a regular stock 3rd gen turbo?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i'm a little confused as well. and what is the diffrence with the BD super b and the super b special.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The special is the bigger of the two.

Barking is usually with the 64 and 66 compressors. If you stay smaller, i.e. 62-63 barking should be a rare thing.

I am no expert, but this is what I have learned from reading these forums and talking to diesel tech in town.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
i got stock turbo n it'll surge. all of em surge if you let off too hard at the right spot. it's generally at lower rpm on trucks runnin programmers and/or injectors. it's normal but not good and the way to avoid it is let off throttle slower to give that boost some time to go where it wants to go. if you got some money in your pocket you can also get a blow off valve which is specifically designed to eliminate turbo surge.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Most aftermarket turbos will NOT bark.

dustin, look into a "62 series" turbo. It's recommended for stock to barely modded trucks. It will have less lag then the stocker, as well. If you've got the $$, go for the Industrial Injection Silver 62.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Aftermarket turbos WILL bark in the right setting. Put a tight T/C with any turbo and you can bark it. A BOV is your best bet to keep it from happening but your lookin at some coin to get it. Most guys will tell you not to worry about when you bark a good aftermarket turbo. Just try to ease out of the throttle when running at WOT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts