Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I need a little help. Getting ready to ditch the VGT, not to sure if Im going with the second or third gen swap but regardless it will be a 64 compressor because it is a dd and a tow vehicle and Im running on stock fuel. My question is do I need a waste gate on either of the turbos, basically what is the Max pressure a S364 and a S464 can produce.

·
Registered
117 Posts
3brorce I've heard rumors that the stock egr system acts as as wastegate, and thats the reason you see so many modified trucks having head-gasket issues. What is your opinion on this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The drive pressure is the reason the exhaust brake works. It looks to me like if that was the problem you'd see more stock trucks blowing head-gaskets, but it seems to me that shortly after deleting the factory (b.s. band-aid excuse for emittions controls) thats when the problems start to appear. You've no doubt sold thousands of tuners to people. Have you had any customers complain with these issues?

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
Once you get rid of the factory vgt there is less of a risk for blowing a head gasket. Most issues come when people romp on the truck before it is fully up to operating temp. You see a fair amount of 6.7 owners that blow headgaskets and the factory vgt. I think the best thing you could do for a 6.7 is to get rid of it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
which turbo do you recommend as a replacement? What about the exhaust brake for those of us that use our trucks primarily for towing?

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
S464 like the OP is looking into. I would just lose the EB. Plenty tow just fine without it or add a inline brake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does an inline exhaust brake increase drive pressure? It's my understanding that the drive pressure is what is holding back the engine thus slowing you down using the factory setup.

·
Registered
735 Posts
In my opinion a 64 is to small for any 6.7 application

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
Why when a 464 is capable of 700hp and the truck is primarily a tow truck. Yeah if its a play truck that tows 6-8k on occasion then yeah a 464 may be too small and a 467 would be better suited. But if tow truck that tows heavy everyday and is a work truck, 464 is perfect.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm my opinion the 466 or 467 would be a better charger, for a stock truck yea a 464 is enough but to me it doesn't leave much room to grow. I'd say 700hp from a 464 would be toasty

·
Registered
735 Posts
How is 700 not much room to grow? We were making north of 700 with 464, 150s and dual pumps on old shop truck setup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
What are egts on it? He wants a tow rig.. there is now way I would want to add nozzles then try to tow on a higher tune with a 464. Things would get warm quick

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
What are egts on it? He wants a tow rig.. there is now way I would want to add nozzles then try to tow on a higher tune with a 464. Things would get warm quick
It was a drag truck. Who watches egts at the track lol. Exactly a tow rig. 464 with 100s would tow great. Dint even need to add nozzles to a dedicated tow rig either as a 6.7 is easily capable of 600 with stock nozzles and if rail holds but who wants to push things to the edge towing.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
How is 700 not much room to grow? We were making north of 700 with 464, 150s and dual pumps on old shop truck setup.

What would your same shop truck do with a 467 instead of the 464, but with the same fuelling as mentioned. Next year Ime looking at dual pumps and some 150s, and your EFI tunes. Just trying to get a guesstimate on hp and tq.

Sorry for the slight derale......

·
Registered
73 Posts
My truck is a daily driver. Most of my towing is 4-6k but I do tow 15k+ sometimes. I was looking at 50-75hp injectors and possibly a cp3 upgrade like the arson 3(if needed). Would I need to upgrade my turbo for a set up like this and what would be the best turbo to upgrade to? I am not looking for massive amounts of power, but I do want enough to play around with if I want to and still keep good fuel economy.
Right now is all I have is h&s MM w/ OD tune, all deletes, and afe intake

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
What would your same shop truck do with a 467 instead of the 464, but with the same fuelling as mentioned. Next year Ime looking at dual pumps and some 150s, and your EFI tunes. Just trying to get a guesstimate on hp and tq.

Sorry for the slight derale......

467 is capable of 800+ no doubt about it.

My truck is a daily driver. Most of my towing is 4-6k but I do tow 15k+ sometimes. I was looking at 50-75hp injectors and possibly a cp3 upgrade like the arson 3(if needed). Would I need to upgrade my turbo for a set up like this and what would be the best turbo to upgrade to? I am not looking for massive amounts of power, but I do want enough to play around with if I want to and still keep good fuel economy.
Right now is all I have is h&s MM w/ OD tune, all deletes, and afe intake

You dont need fuel, you need air. 6.7s are capable of 600hp on stock fuel. I would suggest what the OP is looking into in terms of a 464-467 range of charger.

·
Registered
890 Posts
3brorce is dead on. These trucks have a pretty good fuel system and after the basic bolt ons a turbo upgrade will really change the way the truck drives. Fuel doesn't do you any good if you don't have enough air there to support it and we all know how restrictive the 351 becomes after about 32 pounds in stock trim.

Reactions: 3brorce
1 - 20 of 22 Posts