Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

Loaded up the trailer after leaving the truck idle for 4 days and took off easy. Got to the interstate gave it about 1/2 throttle and POP POP POP sort of sounded like an intercooler boot blowing off, but at maybe 25% of the sound volume that a boot makes. Every time I added throttle it continued to do it. I was 600 miles from home and was a bit queasy but I got PO'ed and I just hammered it to 90+ MPH and then let it settle back to 75 MPH. Never did it again, anyone know what it was???

The whole trip out and back I seem to have seen high EGT's too. Trailer was 7000 LBS and running 72-75 MPH across the mountians in Asheville NC. These mountains are steep and long but really not a big deal and I was seeing (on the Attitude) 1450-1550 when under load. Been getting a wirring/hiss noise the last 1000 miles too from the passenger floor/dash area. Sort of sounds like a turbo on a 7.3 Powerstroke when it goes in a compressor stall.

Tell me what you think I have going on. It's got less than 40K on it so far! Want to do the DDP nozzles and a XZT or Smarty but need to know it's OK before I do any of that and kill the warranty

Mark @ DPPI

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe the VGT was seizing up/sticking open a bit, which would cause a low boost condition, which would cause EGT's to skyrocket. Hammering it may have broke it free. I ran into this with my 6.0 PowerJoke and traded it in before I had to pull the turbo to diagnose. It would stick at about 7psi, EGT's would sky rocket, and power would drop. Get out of the throttle completely and it would go back to normal until the next hill...

Sound about right?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe the VGT was seizing up/sticking open a bit, which would cause a low boost condition, which would cause EGT's to skyrocket. Hammering it may have broke it free. I ran into this with my 6.0 PowerJoke and traded it in before I had to pull the turbo to diagnose. It would stick at about 7psi, EGT's would sky rocket, and power would drop. Get out of the throttle completely and it would go back to normal until the next hill...

Sound about right?
:ditto: Might be time to look at some deletes, at least the egr to help get the excess soot going out the tailpipe where it's supposed to go..Sounds like exactly what mine was doing just before I got the P2262 code, I pulled the egr off changed oil and ran a tank with a good strong shot of cleaner(can't remember if it was howes or standyne) and the problem seemed to go away along with the 2262 code...you'll gag when you see how much soot is being pumped back into the engine if you decide to delete the egr.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I'm having. When mine does it, I think it's going into regen.
I noticed that the fuel mileage drops some and the engine temp goes up. It only last for a few minutes or miles. Also, it only happens when pulling my trailer.
My problem started about 5k miles after the dealer did the turbo mod. (drilled the clean out hole), IDK if that has anything to do with it, but that's when it started. I wonder if has to do with the flash too.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
When my truck did something like that we thought that it was missing and not turbo related. The two times it happened the weather here was extremely cold and we think that the fuel was gelling and starving the engine's injectors of fuel.

The truck idled for about an hour in -25 celcius weather while we switched trailers and loaded our sleds. We took off and about 5 minutes later hit the highway where the truck started to misfire. It did it off and on for the next 20 minutes till I pulled into a Dodge dealership. Then it stopped doing it so I could not show the mechanic. I was on my last tank of summer fuel that cold day so we added some fuel conditioner anyway and the problem did not come back.

Your problem could have been gummed up injectors from your extended idle time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine does something similar. Mostly when I assume it's in regen (I don't run gauges and am stock minus the S&B). I noticed after I unplugged the EGR last time with my AX flash it went away, but since the dealership updated me to BA and cleaned/replaced my EGR assembly it's back. I've been running with the EGR hooked up and I think it's gotta be soot related.

Feels/sounds like the wastegate is opening with the turbo under boost. I'll get a "pop" and the truck will stop pulling, buck, and then the turbo whine comes back and it's pulling again like nothing happened. Truck jerks and bucks when it happens because when the wastegate (or whatever it is) opens the power drops almost completely out for a split second, then comes back after the "pop". Tach doesn't do anything - just the turbo. Funny thing is it started happening on I-70 with a decent amount of weight in the bed and a 7K lb trailer on the back. I wasn't killing the engine, but I certainly wasn't babying the truck.

My wife is on me to sell this thing, but I'm looking at some EGR block offs so I don't soot up my new EGR if I ever want to reinstall. I've been really trying to hold off on modding/deletes/etc because this sucker has plenty of power in stock form and my dealership likes to wave the red "void" flag at every opportuniny. I'll be in for some fights, but at least the truck should run better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts