Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a mod for my truck, but waffling between which one. Either a turbo (with high-flow manifold) or a cam, but I can't afford both right now.

My goals are to keep my EGTs in check while towing (I semi-regularly tow about 11-12k). I drive about 25k miles a year, so I want good driveability and I don't want to HURT my mileage. Mileage gains would be appreciated, but not required.

I know that both a cam and a turbo can help with EGTs. I have heard that a cam will help with mileage. I have no idea what effect a turbo would have, if any.

My driving style is pretty mellow. It's been described as grandpa-like. I'm easy on the throttle (except for the rare inspiration) and coast to a stop. I'm already juiced up with a Smarty, so I don't really need any more power. It's sufficient when I need it.

The turbo I am considering is a 62/65/12 s300 with a high-flow stainless manifold. Or a Colt Cam.

Both mods cost about $2500.

I want this engine to last as long as possible...already have 240k on it and it runs great so far. Ideally, I would do both mods, but can only do one.

Help me out guys. :confused013:

·
Registered
310 Posts
i would say turbo as im sure thats what most will tell you. the turbo will just bolt right up and u wont have to tear into the engine. it will lower egts which would help with mileage since cooler air means better mpg's. a cam seems more for moderate to highly modified trucks as a spool aid and help with egts

Reactions: burlyman

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Doing the turbo would help out a lot with egts, especially because youre probably running pretty hot on sw8 with a stock turbo. I would say if you are looking for pure driveability, do the turbo, a lift pump and maybe 90hp sticks and driving would be pretty smooth with the right tune. Whether or not you get a new turbo I would suggest doing the lift pump to save the life of your cp3 running the smarty on sw8 also. I really couldn't say much about the cam, but from what i've seen on here, only guys with high hp have them. If you're just looking for engine longevity, fuel mileage, and you're happy with your hp, then I wouldn't even bother to do a turbo or a cam. If I were you, I'd get a lift pump, run the smarty on level 5 or 7 with a little extra timing and call it good.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm guessing my 5" exhaust helps the EGTs, as I rarely push past 1100, sometimes 1200. I do drive to accommodate the engine, though. If a steep hill at 70mph is too much while pulling, I back it down to 55 or 60.

Great idea on the lift pump. It's been on the back of my mind for a while. I didn't know it would help the life of the CP3. I thought it was to just keep good fuel pressure when running a programmer. Air Dog is what I was thinking, unless someone has another idea.

Having the stock turbo die one me one of these days is a concern, too. I have no idea what the longevity of a stocker might be. I'm sure there was some abuse to it before I bought the truck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
that stock turbo is pretty old not sure of the average life on one though. proble bout time to replace it anyway. if your not wanting huge power get the turbo, some 50 horse injectors would help with mpg's as long as extra power. also i love my airdog and very nice setup:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,621 Posts
I think a cam sounds fun. Get one that spools nice and early with your stock turbo. I know looking at dyno graphs of the Hamilton 188/220, it spools so early that it's nearly unbelievable. Sometimes just the right harmonics in an engine is a perfect winner. I think that cam has it. But for towing maybe their smaller 181/210. I'd call them and ask. I think it'd be great to have super early spooling for towing purposes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a cam sounds fun. Get one that spools nice and early with your stock turbo. I know looking at dyno graphs of the Hamilton 188/220, it spools so early that it's nearly unbelievable. Sometimes just the right harmonics in an engine is a perfect winner. I think that cam has it. But for towing maybe their smaller 181/210. I'd call them and ask. I think it'd be great to have super early spooling for towing purposes.
The fast spool and having the low end grunt of a cam was part of my initial reasoning, coupled with the talk of a couple MPGs of improvement. The guys at my Cummins performance shop would be happy to put one in for me, but said the problem was that I was still bottlenecking air at the small 9cm stock turbo vs. a 12cm and so EGTs would improve by maybe 150 degrees. 150 degrees would be great, I would think.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,621 Posts
Well, keep one thing in mind: guys on here are ALWAYS yapping about EGTs, but you rarely hear anybody having problems from their EGT. IMHO, guys can get in a mindset of fixing something that isn't broken in the first place when it comes to EGT.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ever consider methanol injection. cheaper than a turbo & easier to install than cam. will give added HP due to additional fuel added & greatly reduce EGT's. Running 50/50 blend is usually prefered. Blue -25 windshield washer fluid is fairly cheap & supposed to be safe. I looked into Snow Performance. I havn't installed since my EGT's rarely exceed 1250F pulling my 12K# 5th wheel. Was concerned about EGT's after installing 90hp injectors with stock turbo. No problems, just back off when EGT's start to climb. Just another option to consider.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good input. And yes, I do back off the acceleration when it starts getting hot. Overall, just looking to make my engine have an easier job doing it's job, which should translate into lower temps, better mileage and longer life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.