Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the site. 2013-2500-6.7L....Question for you gentlemen. Shop says actuator is bad and I'll need a new turbo. From my own research I feel I only need an actuator. Builds plenty of boost just no engine brake and a check engine light is on. $3,865 for a reman from the shop I took it to and I've found them cheaper on line. Whats your thoughts on this please?? Replace turbo or fix actuator?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Did you ask them why on a complete turbo rather than just an actuator? If they pulled the actuator and found the vains sticking they are probably correct. If they just say the actuator tested bad then they don't want to mess with just doing an actuator and would rather throw a complete turbo at it. (That's all dealers do.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ipennock..Never thought about that. I'll ask tomorrow when I pick it up at the shop. Can't you rebuild the vains or nozzle portion of the turbo? Ive seen a couple of videos about it being done. Or is it even worth it? I'm new to the 6.7L scene, I inherited my dad's 97 3500 with the 5.9 12v 6yrs ago...they're so simple..lol

·
Joe @ DDP Motorsports
1,486 Posts
Hello, new to the site. 2013-2500-6.7L....Question for you gentlemen. Shop says actuator is bad and I'll need a new turbo. From my own research I feel I only need an actuator. Builds plenty of boost just no engine brake and a check engine light is on. $3,865 for a reman from the shop I took it to and I've found them cheaper on line. Whats your thoughts on this please?? Replace turbo or fix actuator?
We have several actuator and turbo options, feel free to PM or email me.
Look at the City Diesel actuator if you need just a new actuator. @cumminsdieselfreak
Thank you my friend!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a brand new stock turbo on eBay for $2450 about 6 months ago and just put that on. No core needed. Keep an eye out for one.

Was $2350 plus tax.

Rectangle Packaging and labeling Font Carton Box

·
Registered
266 Posts
Probably just the actuator but what codes did the truck have? I have U010C & P226C. Unfortunately I dont have the time to diagnose the problem and the City Diesel actuator states it more than likely won't fix the P226C code so I just ordered a Fleece Cheetah from DDP(thanks cumminsdieselfreak) last night and it will be here Thursday! Now off to find some tutorials, how to and some write ups to get this thing installed!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
AFAIK, the ONLY way to judge the turbo is to remove the actuator and move the arm to see if the vanes move smoothly. If they do, it's sure worth trying an actuator. My 12 gave me P2262, plus some other funky electrical codes, but the P2262 was the biggie... mechanical problems. I put on an IH SXE and I tore the vgt apart a few months later. The ring that the vanes mount to had a groove worn in it from the soot scraper rings and that was the tight spot. It would be nice if there was a better aftermarket part for that. I would also hesitate to buy a rebuilt vgt unless that issue was fully addressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ask them why on a complete turbo rather than just an actuator? If they pulled the actuator and found the vains sticking they are probably correct. If they just say the actuator tested bad then they don't want to mess with just doing an actuator and would rather throw a complete turbo at it. (That's all dealers do.)
Shop said, actuator was bad and when asked if he removed it stated no but my computer said the Baines where bad. SMH... I will remove it and see if the vains are stuck or not. Thanks
Asked the shop and he said no on removing the actuator, "my computer can activate it and the vains are stuck." I'll remove it my self and check it out. Thanks bud for the info on asking.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If the acutator is the issue you want the City Diesel acuator but Genos garage shows it back ordered.

Reactions: Frankie89!

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
Get the City Diesel Actuator, i know DDP tries to stock them, @cumminsdieselfreak do you have any in stock or whats the lead time?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
Shop said, actuator was bad and when asked if he removed it stated no but my computer said the Baines where bad. SMH... I will remove it and see if the vains are stuck or not. Thanks

Asked the shop and he said no on removing the actuator, "my computer can activate it and the vains are stuck." I'll remove it my self and check it out. Thanks bud for the info on asking.
If the vanes are stuck you are looking at a turbo, not just the actuator. You'll be able to tell real quick once you have the actuator off. The city diesel replacement will keep the vanes cleaner because it actuates them more often, it also won't require a scan tool to calibrate it, as it does that automatically, so if you can remove your old actuator, you can install the city diesel unit without going to a shop

·
Joe @ DDP Motorsports
1,486 Posts
Get the City Diesel Actuator, i know DDP tries to stock them, @cumminsdieselfreak do you have any in stock or whats the lead time?
We're currently at 3-4 weeks on the City Diesel. For anyone waiting for these not to be on backorder, they've been on backorder for almost 1.5 years... City has kept shipments steady so just bite the bullet and wait if it's not an emergency. We also have a select number of units for people in a bind and need rush service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey man give Circuit Board Medics a shot. I recently used them to replace my actuator they ship fast and are efficient and priced competitively. I put in there reman 300e and used the calibrator tool they supply sent my core back. Been working flawlessly for i over 3 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey man give Circuit Board Medics a shot. I recently used them to replace my actuator they ship fast and are efficient and priced competitively. I put in there reman 300e and used the calibrator tool they supply sent my core back. Been working flawlessly for i over 3 months.
Ive seen their adds. I'll give it a look and see buddy. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts