Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hearing a squil noise coming from my turbo I believe. you can hear it better at low speeds or idle. When I popped the hood and tapped on the turbo the noise would come and go with the taps. It also comes and goes a little when you hit a bump. But it does not ever go away just stops for a second. Does it sound like its my turbo is there a way to rebuild it or something I can do to it and what damage do you think it is causeing. Also I only have 110000miles on the truck

· Registered
31 Posts
They can be rebuilt, but if too many parts are worn...especially the fins on the wheels then you are just better off to buy a new one in my opinion. Or you could find a good used one here in the classifieds section of the forum.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
replace with a S300 or somethin similar.. most the time when a turbo goes it scrapes up the fins and the housing. sooner would be better than later. if it starts leaking oil on the turbine side your truck will smoke like crazy and leak oil out of the exhaust. if it starts leaking on the compressor side, it will cause a run-away diesel situation that will rev your motor to the sky till it blows unless you can rip the intake off fast enough and slap a rubber mat over the turbo to starve it of air...

· Premium Member
323 Posts
Check to see if there is front to back play on the shaft. It's normal to have some side-to-side (not a lot) but it should not move in and out at all.

if it starts leaking oil on the turbine side your truck will smoke like crazy and leak oil out of the exhaust. if it starts leaking on the compressor side, it will cause a run-away diesel situation that will rev your motor to the sky till it blows.
Is any oil normal on the compressor side? Mine has a good amount of oil, like a rag comes up black if you sweep the whole circle, but it's not thick.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
as in wet oil?? or is it just dirt + air filter oil from that k&n?

· Registered
231 Posts
You dont want 'liquid' oil... that is bad... dirt sucks too, but wont kill it right away. Like offthewall said check for shaft play. And you can rebiuld, but not worth it. Just upgrade, and use it as a core.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.