Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1791 Conservative
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

I contemplated posting this question, but figured why not :stirpot:. I put more miles and hours on my truck this weekend. Drove from VA to NJ to MI then back to VA. Yup, I got caught in the snow on I-80 both ways. Even have about 200 more miles in 4WD thanks IN and MI not plowing on the weekend :confused013:. I was happy to pull 15.441 MPG in about 1,500 miles and added 44 engine hours (slept in the truck Saturday night).

Okay, now on to the post question. Most of you know I ordered this truck and what I have done to it. My hearing is not so good any more, but when I am away from the wife for 24 hours my selective hearing relaxes a bit :hehe:.

I run (for now) the box H&S tunes since I deleted at 10,000 miles. I have never really heard my turbo. And I accepted it, though of course I would rather hear it. My winter front was on for this trip, as it has been many times since I have owned it. But on this trip to MI, I actually heard my turbo. It was when I was in 6th gear, using the skinny pedal, in 2WD. I was cruising at about 60 MPH. If I gave it some throttle, sound went away until I leveled out. I spent a lot of time in 5th in both 2WD and 4WD and tried to replicate it because I was kinda excited and was not able to. Only in 6th at around 60. Even on the hills on I-68 which had me going slow due to sketchy road conditions (black ice) I could not do it. Engine brake off or on, no difference :confused013:.

Why is that the magic spot to hear it? Does it have something to do with ECU programming or something? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is the baffle still in the air intake?

sent from a van down by the river

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can hear mine, but it's nothing like any of us would like. My assumption is my hearing is a bit better than yours in the youth that I still have. It's a very slight whistle. I have heard some ford turbos spool up in a parking lot that make me smile. I would like a glorious sounding turbo. I will get one.

·
1791 Conservative
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea....I know :(. My 08 F350 was stock yet I could hear those turbos.

Just trying to figure out why under the specified conditions I could hear the turbo...first time in 42,000 miles!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did not know of the baffle, where?

·
Registered
109 Posts
any chance the vanes in your vgt are stickin?

·
1791 Conservative
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not taken it apart to look, but the truck has good power and no symptoms of any issue. The E-brake works well in the cold and when driving.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The turbo is pretty quiet on these trucks for some reason but i can hear mine.

After a few mods my 2007 LBZ and 2008 LMM Duramax trucks turbo screamed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
your VGT could be stuck in a certan spot. im hard on mine so I don't worry about build up. also since I put the S&B cold air intake on its made it a lot more loud.

·
Registered
373 Posts
carolinadave the baffle is in the tube between turbo and intake box. It's a plastic thing wrapped in foam. I don't believe it made a noise difference, but pulled mine out anyway. The engineering behind it suggests it creates a specific air turbulence to make the turbo work properly? Many folks believe it will eventually fall apart and suck foam into your turbo.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I noticed a little more whine out of the turbo without the baffle. Not like a big turbo but it was noticeable to even the ole lady.

sent from a van down by the river

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took the silencing ring off of the compressor side of my turbo long ago. It sounds awesome. Make sure you have the proper tools,time and patience before attempting it.

Reactions: Irish Carbomb

·
1791 Conservative
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys. I am not making a complaint nor asking for a way to make it louder. I am asking why, ONLY under said conditions, I can hear it. Why is it so much louder at that point than any other time driving?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mudman1, as a retired truck driver I was used to the shrill whistle of a turbo. These VGT turbo's just don't have that sound. It is more of a low moan, more like a vacuum cleaner.
I never heard my turbo at all till I deleted. I hear it all the time now..it is just a different sound than what I was accustomed to for turbo sounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts