Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this site. I am currently in the process of replacing my original vp44 and lift pump. While I have the fuel system completely open I ordered a set of 80hp injectors. I have a 01 HO with edge ez, 5" ehxhaust, aem intake. What turbo should i be looking at? I plan to eventually add a smarty to the mix. Was thinking sps62, super b, auorora 2000, or some hybrid, this is a daily driver that tows sometimes. what do you all think?

Thanks
Scott

·
Vendor
8,579 Posts
80HP and EZ is still okay with a stock turbo, you may need a new clutch soon though. a bigger one would be better, but your stock is fine. A smarty is going to do much of what the EZ does with timing, but it will fuel harder down low. the Adrenaline or juice is a good upgrade from the EZ

PM me if you have any questions. I have tried a lot of stuff

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already upgraded the clutch last summer, Valair OFE clutch (still chatters a tiny bit) forgot what the ratings were. I wanna say like 450hp and 800-900lb ft. I would like to say I'd like to save my money and stick with the stocker truth is I kinda got bit by the diesel performance bug again and my buddy just put a programmer on his 2006 powerstroke. Kinda want to out do him with six cylinders. Nice trucks though. Thanks for the replies.
Scott

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I agree, I've hit the gears in that thing like an old super stocker but I quite doing that because I dont want to have to replace the synchros or pay someone to do it. I imagine that would get a little pricey. He had actually just dropped me off home and we got into a stop light altercation with 2 honda s2000's tonight. They took off in front of us and we passed between the middle of them in about third gear. The old ford runs pretty good!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with Diesel Dummy go with sps62 and maybe a better module like the Edje Juice w-Attitude or the Adrenaline. I would at least stud it if you plan on bombing it much more. I just lost my head gasket and the most boost I ever saw was 38# but the drive pressure frome the stock turbo is what I believe killed it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I run the stock turbo to its max, its possibly worse than running a higher flowing turbo with more boost? I'm fairly new to this so bear with me. You mentioned "drive pressure" what is this?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
if you'r replacing the vp don't do it with an ho vp. get the so vp instead it flows more fuel.
yes if you overspeed the stock turbo it will eventually cause a failure. an aftermarket turbo will flow more air at less boost and yield better gains.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you'r replacing the vp don't do it with an ho vp. get the so vp instead it flows more fuel.
yes if you overspeed the stock turbo it will eventually cause a failure. an aftermarket turbo will flow more air at less boost and yield better gains.

DAMN!!! I already put the new one on saturday. I had asked someone about that and they kind of beat around the bush with the answer. Oh well, thanks for the input on the turbo. so if I go aftermarket and keep it no more than 40psi I shouldnt have to worry about headstuds or gaskets. I dont drive it very hard for very long. Especially at $4.70 soon to be $5.00/gal.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
right: you keep it around 40 psi you should be ok. make sure you use shop air with a regulator to check your wastegate operation and adjust accordingly. most of the aftermarket turbos these days allow plenty of flow through the wastegate to keep pressures under control. and if you blow the gasket it's pretty easy to replace and your head could probably use a little freshening up too. new valves, guides, and marine gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts