Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me start by saying I am new today and need some help. I am looking to fix a truck I picked up this past weekend. Hope I haven't got something that I will regret.I have picked up two in the last 3 months. My 16 year old had to have the first one, so now I got one.

'95 2500 4x4 automatic reg.cab long bed 149K miles (his)

'99 3500 4x4 automatic ext.cab dually 94K miles (mine)

I have never owned or been around a diesel. Though I did ask around for a while and the majority said Cummins.
I need to replace the turbo on my '99 and need some advise on what direction to go. I had thought about picking up a used one and trying that. Still a possibility. My buddies say not to fool with used.

Now as for my question or problem.

*Can some tell me if the turbo in the '95 is the same? (I had thought of switching them and getting something new for the '95.)

*What would be a good turbo to replace my stock '99 with?

*What is the verdict on the HX40 on Ebay for $300 new? Sounds like a low price.

*Do you have to change other things to make it work?

Any info or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
a 95 turbo will bolt up, if you plan to run the wastegate you will have to get manifold pressure from somewhere, you could reuse your old compressor housing, swap it to the 95 turbo since the 95 wastegate actuator bolts on the exhaust housing.

i wouldnt recommend the ebay turbo- in that world you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
A super 40 would be a nice turbo to run if your not really looking to do alot of upgrades. Give you a little extra hp.

·
Hemi
12,651 Posts
The 40 would do no better on a completely stock truck than a stock replacement (hx35)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stock

Probably will do a few other changes to help with performance. Nothing crazy.

Like to stay in $2k range, suggestions?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts