Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Turbo mods

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Montser633 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been doing a bunch of reading and cant nail down an answer and not fully understand about the mwe groove. By modify the groove it effects how much air to the outer part of the compressor? Also it will make the charger have a wiser range? Can anyone clear up my miss understanding and the pros and cons and other modifications that can be done thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
X2 subscribed. I wanna know

On Cummins forum instead of working or doing homework.

#4 ·
The mwe hurts the peak, it allows a small amount pressurized air to escape from under the comp blades, on much larger units with a 3.0 or so comp housing it helps, actually allowing the huge vacuum from the massive exducers to provide the inducer with an extra air inlet source at higher shaft speeds. In which way would you modify the passages?

#6 ·
I want to know if it would help and with 67 by modify what I got? How bad would it kill on top? The mwe groove allows more air to get to the compressor? Is this the same mods done to race covers?

#7 ·
Sorry, this mod your talking about...HOW would tou modify it, deepen the groove towards the wheel, or pull metal away towards the top of the housing inlet? I would never modify this groove, if you want quicker spoiling, go with a smaller housing, etc... There is no real benefit from modifying this area unless ypu want your 67mm to act like a 62mm in almost every way.

#8 ·
My parents have a machine shop so I want to know pros and cons haven't made mind up if I'm Gonna modify it or not just looking for knowledge mostly

#10 ·
You modify it by opening up the grove towards the inlet this will slow it to draw more air from the outer area. It will help with spool up and draw more air all together. A friend with a pulling truck had an s480 2.8 charger that wouldn't hold 25psi down the track. After modifying the housing it will now run 65 plus.

Reactions: Montser633
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.