Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
id search it online. i just read a little about it on wikipedia and it more or less is what i thought. However i don't think they described it that well. I would simply say its the time that it takes to spool up the turbo. from a stop the turbo is going to build boost with rpm but once u let off the juice its going to drop back down. The lag is the time it takes to build boost again. I can tell u this much, you feel it you just don't know what it is. depending on how fast your moving effects it quite a bite but more importantly i guess how fast the motor is spinning and the strains on it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Turbo lag sucks. Your turbos is what creates the power in the motor. Turbos push the air in and the more air you can get in the better. The more air you can get in, the more fuel you can feed it and more fuel to combust means more power you can get. Too much fuel results in excess black smoke which is wasted fuel. My truck has twins and I generally run 65 psi of boost when giving it hell. When I first put the hammer down I get a big cloud of smoke and as my turbos build pressure, the smoke cleans itself up a little. Unfortunately I can't afford the twin cp3's right now or I would feed it some more fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Come By The House And I Will Let You Take My 07 Ferd 6.o For A Spin,,,then You Will Know What It Is

·
Registered
204 Posts
Turbo lag is when you step on the gas,and you accelerate a little bit, then you turbo takes a while to light, then you really take off. The time it takes before you turbo kicks in is your lag.

·
Registered
110 Posts
in order for the turbo to start spinning you need exhaust gasses, basically u need more exhaust gasses to spin the turbo faster to a certain extent.

learn how turbos work then you mite understand a bit more.

in simple terms the when you mash down on the throttle it takes a second or two for the turbo to spool up completely, because your gettin more exhaust gasses, thus pushing more air in the intake... hope this helps if any...

·
Registered
113 Posts
the best way to get rid of lag is a compound set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts