Cummins Diesel Forum banner

turbo issues

753 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  99cummins310 
#1 ·
My friend has a 99 2500 5 speed 2wd extended cab longbed and called the other day saying that in 5th gear he was running 2200 rpms at 65 mph when normally he would be at 75. He said his truck was louder than usual and he couldnt hear his turbo like he normally could and didnt seem to have as much power.

He said he could down shift and then it would spool but cruising it wouldnt spool like normal.

I told him to check shaft play and look for leaks in the boots.

Any other ideas why this would be going on?

#2 ·
If it is running a different RPM at a given speed than normal then the clutch is slipping.

You cannot have a different Speed at the same RPM in the same gear without something slipping. Just not possible.

either your friend has his facts mixed up or his clutch is toast.

#3 ·
Another one of those impossible issues. I guess the speedo changes it's accuracy. Or the clutch is slipping. Take your pick. Take it to a diesel shop for better analysis...

#4 ·
I may have misunderstood him on the speed part. But what about the lack of boost and stuff? He doesn't have any gauges yet and the clutch was just replaced. Its bone stock so no power adders, not to say he didn't still roast a clutch but he didn't mention anything of that nature.

I told him maybe the wastegate was sticking open? I'm no expert so if I sound like a complete idiot cut me some slack.

What are the symptoms of a turbo going out?

#5 ·
Without gauges and actual information as to what is happening there is no way we can really offer any legitimate advice.

you can easily check the turbo for play by pulling the intake boot off and checking for play, in and out, and up and down.

Make sure the blades spin freely.

Beyond that do the basic's
1. Scan for codes
2. Check for boost leaks
3. Check fuel pressure

#6 ·
If it turns out the clutch is in fact slipping, that could also account for the lower boost. With a slipping clutch you can't load the engine as much, so you won't see as much boost.

#7 ·
hard to tell without gauges what psi your normally running at but if the clutch is slipping that would mean theres not the normal load on the motor to build that boost that he is used too.... you should be able to tell pretty easy if the power isn't getting put to the rear tires like he is used too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.