Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 95 12v cummins with 171000 miles. i bought it with 165000 so i have only had it for a few months. i pulled out of my friends house today and when i gave is some fuel the turbo sounded like a fire truck siren. i think maybe a bearing went out or something but i have no idea....if anyone knows what might be wrong let me know.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
yea its definately going out give it a little more time and it will sound you dont know how to use a clutch i left my silencer ring in my new one and it has lasted longer but it is definately going out

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Pull off the air intake elbow and look into the turbo inlet. Is there a lot of oil? Can you wiggle the shaft enough to touch the sides of the housing? Is there marks where the impeller has already rubbed on the housing?
Yes to any of these means you need turbo work.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Pull the intake off the charger, see if you have excessive end play or side to side movement on the compressor wheel. If you do it's most likely a bearing and you better get plan A and B figured out before your stuck.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
yea forgot to tell ya taht

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull off the air intake elbow and look into the turbo inlet. Is there a lot of oil? Can you wiggle the shaft enough to touch the sides of the housing? Is there marks where the impeller has already rubbed on the housing?
Yes to any of these means you need turbo work.
ha ha! u just took the words out of my mouth! i have found all those things. how much trouble am i in $$ wise?

·
Registered
941 Posts
not bad if you look for a used stocker

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does anyone make a rebuild kit or should i just buy a whole new turbo?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Depends if its chewed up the wheels and housings. If not its a pretty cheap repair, if it did your better off looking for a used stocker or a perfect time to go aftermarket!

Im sure ive seen kits on ebay...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i started pulling it all apart tonight and sure its all chewed up. what kind of turbo should i go with now?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you got any fuel mods done ?
not that i know of i want to do the fuel plate in the near future. im just scared to do the mods because its a auto tranny and i dont know how much it can handle.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i found a stocker off a 1999 cummins would that work????

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
i found a stocker off a 1999 cummins would that work????
I believe it is the same, but you might need your elbow off the back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
its like a sign, your upgrade path will start with the turbo. haha Naw if your tranny can't handle it i understand, those things are not cheep to build

1 - 18 of 18 Posts