Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have had the turbo replaced.

What was the old part # for the turbo?

What is the new part # for the turbo?

What is the TSB's for replacing the turbos?

I need these questions answered, because I dont want the dealership to just desoot the turbo. I need to proof of a change in the turbo to get the turbo changed out due to the P2262 Code.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup

·
Registered
461 Posts
Make a scratch on the turbo and make sure it isn't on the new one.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone with info?:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheres all the people at that have said they have had their turbos replaced?:thud:

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I guess they must have forgot about it, I wish i had info for you but i havent had any turbo issues.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess they must have forgot about it, I wish i had info for you but i havent had any turbo issues.
Thanks,

I am going to do the egr and exhaust deletes as soon as I get this turbo issue out of way.:thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had mine replaced twice. just make sure they replace the entire turbo assembly and not just the one part of the assembly the code tells it is broke. it WILL NOT work right if they don't. you will proberly have problems with your exhaust brake if they don't. i've had just about every issue you could have with the 6.7 and had them in about a three month period. i fixed all my issues in one day with mine when i went to my local chevy dealer and dumped that peice of crap and bought a duramax. best move i ever made. no more cel's, no more pre-mature change oil lights, no more turbo's, no more enep service people, no more arrogant owners, no more bad milage, i could go on for ever. absolutly no issues. life is good again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My turbo is scheduled to be replaced Friday, so maybe I'll have some info this weekend. I've written down all the numbers off the Holset HE351Ve that's on there now, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
that code is low boost pressure mechanical....that issue was solved with the new software update....they have to torch a heat shield out....I don't think it is your turbo...I wouldn't let them replace it...have you seen or had any performance issues because of it? I had that code 9 times...never replaced the turbo...once the g30 and module were done I have never seen it again

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My turbo is scheduled to be replaced Friday, so maybe I'll have some info this weekend. I've written down all the numbers off the Holset HE351Ve that's on there now, so we'll see.
Thanks, BillG :thumbsup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, I'd hoped to be replying with some information, but I don't have the truck back. Kept it all day, but still isn't done. Said the turbo didn't look bad, and the soot wasn't as bad as expected, but still hadn't opened up the EGR for cleaning yet.

Asked if they were replacing the entire turbo assembly, or just part, and was told 'the hole thing'. (one of the other posts here had a horror story about that).

Also asked if it was a remanufactured turbo since Dodge must have a lot of them (LOL), and told no - only new factory parts go back on the trucks. Old ones are sent to the lab.

Also asked if they drill a hole in the housing for cleaning (another scary post here), and was told emphatically NO WAY!

Maybe Monday I'll have my truck and some info.

Guess I'll be depressed all weekend!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that code is low boost pressure mechanical....that issue was solved with the new software update....they have to torch a heat shield out....I don't think it is your turbo...I wouldn't let them replace it...have you seen or had any performance issues because of it? I had that code 9 times...never replaced the turbo...once the g30 and module were done I have never seen it again
The e brake started cutting out at 1600 rpm that last a few hundred miles then
with it on nothing and now stumbles and does not sound like it building boost also does not exellerate like it should and before this all started I had AX flash done for P2000. But since the dealership I was going to did not put any stickers on the truck, who really knows.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'd hoped to be replying with some information, but I don't have the truck back. Kept it all day, but still isn't done. Said the turbo didn't look bad, and the soot wasn't as bad as expected, but still hadn't opened up the EGR for cleaning yet.

Asked if they were replacing the entire turbo assembly, or just part, and was told 'the hole thing'. (one of the other posts here had a horror story about that).

Also asked if it was a remanufactured turbo since Dodge must have a lot of them (LOL), and told no - only new factory parts go back on the trucks. Old ones are sent to the lab.

Also asked if they drill a hole in the housing for cleaning (another scary post here), and was told emphatically NO WAY!

Mine is do to go to a differant dealership Monday.

Also the mechanic there did mention the drilling for desooting.

Howerever if there is not a TSB they will not do it, I will not let them.

Also the factory manual states that if you can not move the side in either direction, Replace turbo. Also if they see damage after opening the turbo access panel it says to replace turbo.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

BillG, are they changing your coolant out for free or are they putting the old back in after they change the turbo. because in the manual it says to drain cooling system, remove right side engine mount and remove fan so the engine will tilt to get the turbo out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BillG, are they changing your coolant out for free or are they putting the old back in after they change the turbo. because in the manual it says to drain cooling system, remove right side engine mount and remove fan so the engine will tilt to get the turbo out.
Good question - they didn't mention that. I guess I'll see what they charge me for when I pick it up tomorrow. Be nice to have my ride back!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got it back today - they definitely replaced the turbo and the EGR valve (new, clean, & clean gaskets). According to the paperwork, they replaced the turbo, egr valve, air filter, & mass airflow sensor, and performed rapid response 08-024 (whatever that is), TSB 18-013-08, and regenerate catalyst (although they didn't really do that). They flashed it, put the sticker on the visor, and gave me a 1/4" diesel supplement to the owners manual and a diesel owner's DVD & audio CD.

I don't think they did the manual desoot because of the mileage & tank levels before & after. Also the filter load (per Insight) was 3.1 when I took it in, and it was 3.3 when I got it back! That's fine, though. I'd rather be the one putting the 50 miles on it.

Driving home, it seems sluggish. The exhaust brake works fine, but it's noticeably quieter. Definitely a difference in EGR functionality with the new flash. Before, the EGR was wide open almost all the time except when I really got on the accelerator. Even light acceleration would keep it open. Now, any acceleration drops to 8-15% EGR. Looks like the new software is trying to reduce EGR - that should help.

I've attached before & after pics of the turbo label. Sure had to crop and shrink to be allowed to upload!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did they tell you if the new turbo is different in any way compared to the original? Sounds like they did a good job in the sense of also replacing the EGR. Do you think the old EGR was broken and consequently led to the turbo soot problems?

I was at the dealer for 3.5 hours today while they worked on my 2262 code. No new turbo - they must have done the mobile desoot because I saw the tech come back after driving it on the road. They also replaced some kind of connector. I'm pretty sure what they did today didn't really make a difference and I'll be back again pretty soon with the same code. Actually I don't mind postponing the inevitable (turbo replacement) if there's any chance a revised turbo is coming any time soon.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it back today - they definitely replaced the turbo and the EGR valve (new, clean, & clean gaskets). According to the paperwork, they replaced the turbo, egr valve, air filter, & mass airflow sensor, and performed rapid response 08-024 (whatever that is), TSB 18-013-08, and regenerate catalyst (although they didn't really do that). They flashed it, put the sticker on the visor, and gave me a 1/4" diesel supplement to the owners manual and a diesel owner's DVD & audio CD.

I don't think they did the manual desoot because of the mileage & tank levels before & after. Also the filter load (per Insight) was 3.1 when I took it in, and it was 3.3 when I got it back! That's fine, though. I'd rather be the one putting the 50 miles on it.

Driving home, it seems sluggish. The exhaust brake works fine, but it's noticeably quieter. Definitely a difference in EGR functionality with the new flash. Before, the EGR was wide open almost all the time except when I really got on the accelerator. Even light acceleration would keep it open. Now, any acceleration drops to 8-15% EGR. Looks like the new software is trying to reduce EGR - that should help.

I've attached before & after pics of the turbo label. Sure had to crop and shrink to be allowed to upload!
That good BillG. They do have differant part numbers.

Also took mine in today.

While driving to dealership, Check engine light went out and started running like a scalled dog!

The tech drove with me with the starscan hooked up and nothing but a stored code.:thud:

Unbelevable.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I have finally got my EGR deleted and without the fuel knock and I have had the DPF off for quite some time now, must say its a lot better all the way around now. The engine oil stays so much cleaner with the EGR deleted... It took me about 1000 miles to get the motors cumbustion chambers all cleaned up good after the delete of the EGR and that was running some diesel fuel system cleaner by CRC.

Motor started to sound more and more different after about 500 miles. I did a quick oil change also to help clean the crankcase up quicker too. I plan to change the oil again about wed or thurs. to get rid of the last of the crud in the crankcase, I will have about 2000 miles on this oil change; figure by then though to have the crankcase and everything pretty much cleaned up by then and the oil should be more like every other diesel I have had over the years:)

I just wished I could have got the DPF and the EGR deleted and to heck with the warranty the first week I bought this truck...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts