Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what turbo will match my engine the best. I plan on using my truck for towing, playing, daily driver. I am looking to get in the 450-550 hp range and I dont have the $$ to drop in a twin setup. I know a hx35 is out of the question so would an HX50 be too big and slow to spool. What about a variable turbo off a newer cummins can they be setup on a 12v?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Drunk, how much boost did you run to make 535? I'm running a bastardized setup, meaning it's a 64/65/13 htb2 that I had HTT put their 13 cm stainless exhaust housing on. I saw 50 psi on the gauge yesterday, but I don't really know how much power to expect I'm making. I know all combos are different, but unless you've got a bunch of porting done, your boost figure should give me an idea of roughly what mine is capable of once I get the timing back where it needs to be.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Drunk, how much boost did you run to make 535? I'm running a bastardized setup, meaning it's a 64/65/13 htb2 that I had HTT put their 13 cm stainless exhaust housing on. I saw 50 psi on the gauge yesterday, but I don't really know how much power to expect I'm making. I know all combos are different, but unless you've got a bunch of porting done, your boost figure should give me an idea of roughly what mine is capable of once I get the timing back where it needs to be.
why is that a bastardized set up? HTT sells them that way

I had that same turbo and sent it to ED to have the turbine swapped for a 68. The 65 just didnt have the top end flow that I wanted, but it was a quick spooling turbo and worked well for towing. HTT usually sets there wastegate at 45 so yours may not be working properly. Unless you spiked to 50 and then dropped down to 45....or unless you changed their setting. Also the amount of boost your making really doesnt mean anything. You could make 60 psi with an hx35 and you wont make as much power as a 66/74/14 will at 40psi because its about the volume of air. Also I am sure he was running a wastegated turbo as well.

to the original poster, I think the hot ticket right now for towing and a daily drive would be to get the race cover 62/68. From all I have read and tried to decipher, the race cover 62 flows more than a standard 62 and just under a 64 and the 68 turbine has been decribed to spool like a 65 but flow like a 71 so in reading all that stuff, you should be able to spool like a 62/65 but flow and make power close to a 64/71. I like the stainless 13 exhaust housing but they are a little pricey.

The turbo is all about compromise... you could put a huge turbo on there and have it lag like a pig, but pull like mad on top...on the other side if you go to small, it spools super fast, but doesn't control your egt's and makes no power

62/68/13 with a race cover should be the best of both worlds for around 500 hp. I belive there is a 63/68 also which should net you the same results. I would call Chris at ED and talk to him. He will be able to get you exactly what you want for your mods. The turbo I recommend isnt going to be cheap, but it should be awesome. This is one area where you can't go cheap

all of this is just a shot in the dark really though since I have no clue whats in your truck :confused013:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I had that same turbo and sent it to ED to have the turbine swapped for a 68. The 65 just didnt have the top end flow that I wanted, but it was a quick spooling turbo and worked well for towing. HTT usually sets there wastegate at 45 so yours may not be working properly. Unless you spiked to 50 and then dropped down to 45....or unless you changed their setting. Also the amount of boost your making really doesnt mean anything. You could make 60 psi with an hx35 and you wont make as much power as a 66/74/14 will at 40psi because its about the volume of air. Also I am sure he was running a wastegated turbo as well.

to the original poster, I think the hot ticket right now for towing and a daily drive would be to get the race cover 62/68. From all I have read and tried to decipher, the race cover 62 flows more than a standard 62 and just under a 64 and the 68 turbine has been decribed to spool like a 65 but flow like a 71 so in reading all that stuff, you should be able to spool like a 62/65 but flow and make power close to a 64/71. I like the stainless 13 exhaust housing but they are a little pricey.

The turbo is all about compromise... you could put a huge turbo on there and have it lag like a pig, but pull like mad on top...on the other side if you go to small, it spools super fast, but doesn't control your egt's and makes no power

62/68/13 with a race cover should be the best of both worlds for around 500 hp. I belive there is a 63/68 also which should net you the same results. I would call Chris at ED and talk to him. He will be able to get you exactly what you want for your mods. The turbo I recommend isnt going to be cheap, but it should be awesome. This is one area where you can't go cheap

all of this is just a shot in the dark really though since I have no clue whats in your truck :confused013:
Ya that makes sense there are a lot of different options out there. What is ED??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since it's along the lines of the turbos being discussed , does anyone know anything about the Borg Warner turbo jkidd is selling it's a 63/68/14 said to be good to 550hp, here's the link
Borg Warner 63/68/14 turbo

Sounds like a nice all around unit, I don't know anything about it though.

·
Registered
721 Posts

:agree2:. I would ask Craig (Algea Eater) about his turbo. He runs a 62/68/.85AR with race cover (If memeber serves me) from Chris at ED (Engineerd Diesel). Im pretty sure he loves it:thumbsup:.

Some great turbo companies to keep in mind:

Forced Inductions

ENGINEERED DIESEL - ENGINEERED SOLUTIONS FOR ALL DIESEL MOTORSPORTS

Bullseye Power Turbos

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The reason I called my turbo bastardized is because I don't think HTT sells the htb2 with my configuration. At least, they didn't when I bought mine. At the time, the choices were 62, 64, or 66 mm compressor and 12 or 14 cm exhaust housing. I chose 64/14 when I bought it. Later on I wanted quicker spoolup, and the cartridge was showing signs of wear. I sent it back to them and had them rebuild the cartridge and swap exhaust housings to their newer 13 cm stainless housing. This resulted in a turbo that they don't (or at least didn't) sell as a standard, off-the-shelf item.

The reason I asked about his boost level is that his combo seems pretty similar to mine. While it's true that boost levels alone don't guarantee any specific power output, if two people have similar combos it stands to reason that their power levels might be in the same ballpark at the same boost. That's also the reason I mentioned whether or not he had head porting-porting is one thing that could increase the volumetric efficiency of our engines rather dramatically, which would have invalidated the comparison between his combo and mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Do you think this Turbo would spool quick enough for a truck with a ZF 5sp? What turbo would work best for a DD/Tow with a Std. Trans.?

·
Registered
463 Posts
64/65 shouldn't exist IMO
I dont know it I would go that far. Its not the greatest "hotrod" turbo out there, but it works pretty darn good for towing.

Do you think this Turbo would spool quick enough for a truck with a ZF 5sp? What turbo would work best for a DD/Tow with a Std. Trans.?
Which turbo?
I dont know what you have done to your truck either :confused013:
I think a 62/68 would be pretty nice even for a mildly fueled 5 speed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts