Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disconnecting my turbo from the exhaust manifold so I can drill and tap the manifold for an egt sensor. I have read where others have used grease, magnets or done it while the truck is running but I do not want to worry about sending shavings through the turbo and disconnecting it really dosen't appear to be that difficult. My question is - When removing the hardware (nuts and bolts), do they need to be replaced when resecuring the turbo to the manifold or can the hardware be reused

Thank you in advance,
Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just did this like a month ago. I used grease and a magnet. Started with smaller drill bits and worked my way up.

I removed the air box, fender liner and the passenger tire just to give me more room as I have 37s. This gave me plenty of room....

Everything works as planned/expected....first time I ever drilled and tapped anything.

The pic is the view/room I had when drilling.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I never reuse exhaust hardware, that's what I get paid to do for a living.

·
On call 24/7
12,491 Posts
Do it while the truck is running and the shavings will blow back out at you. I’m very particular about my trucks and have done many this way with zero problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've reused it in a pinch and been just fine, but I do always try to replace it when available. Seeing as though you are planing to do this I would replace it. I do have to agree with the others though, the other ways are plenty safe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help and advice. My plan is to order the hardware tonight.

Thanks again,
Tom

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I will take the opposing view. I have tapped three manifolds. Each time i took a different way of tapping and i always have shavings that would have gone through the turbo if i had left it on. I have tapped using heavy grease, a magnet, slow drill speeds stepping up bit size each time. I have used magnetized bits even. I put gorilla tape and close off outlet of the manifold. Each time there is dozens of shavings on the tape. All it takes is one shaving going through the turbo at the wrong time and there could be a problem. The only method i have not tried is the while running method.
Whatever you decide be careful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take the opposing view. I have tapped three manifolds. Each time i took a different way of tapping and i always have shavings that would have gone through the turbo if i had left it on. I have tapped using heavy grease, a magnet, slow drill speeds stepping up bit size each time. I have used magnetized bits even. I put gorilla tape and close off outlet of the manifold. Each time there is dozens of shavings on the tape. All it takes is one shaving going through the turbo at the wrong time and there could be a problem. The only method i have not tried is the while running method.
Whatever you decide be careful.
I absolutely agree with your comments. Though others have expressed great results with different methods, I am never that fortunate. I am however, certainly glad that it has worked out well for them.
In my experience, if Murphys Law is going to rear its ugly head, drilling my manifold will be when it happens. With my luck, I would snap a drill bit or tap and it would lodge itself between the VGT and turbo housing and strip the actuator gear.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I absolutely agree with your comments. Though others have expressed great results with different methods, I am never that fortunate. I am however, certainly glad that it has worked out well for them.
In my experience, if Murphys Law is going to rear its ugly head, drilling my manifold will be when it happens. With my luck, I would snap a drill bit or tap and it would lodge itself between the VGT and turbo housing and strip the actuator gear.

My dad could do the hole with an axe and it would work for him. For me everything goes wrong no matter how careful.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've reused the hardware many times, rebuilding engines and replacing turbos, and never a problem. Craig

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes get new hardware! Gaskets etc.

Wait till you take your manifold off and can’t get it back on because it shrank.

So not listening to these guys to do a 30 min free job will now be an all day $1000 job.

And a few tiny shavings would not do anything to that turbo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the job went well. I took my time, soaked all hardware with PB Blaster the night before and everything came loose without any problem.
Saturday morning I dropped the turbo enough to get a new gasket in place. Which btw was a pita; Having to remove the motor mount and oil drain tube just isn't fun no matter how you look at it.
I did however, use the grease method on the drill bits and tap and also my shopVac to collect and vacuum any shavings as they were being created by the drill bits or tap. To my surprise, I did not have any shavings or metal bits enter the manifold during the drilling process or when it was being tapped. If I ever have to do it again, I will drill the manifold with the turbo bolted in place.

Thanks for all the help and advice,
Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts