Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Ram 3500 HO longhorn mega cab purchased in January that has a whopping 1500 miles on it had the turbo crap out pulling out of the Lowe’s parking lot. Nothing like standing on it and making no boost. And I was led to believe the fuel pump would go first. I’m so happy I got rid of my 2011 Laramie mega for it. Anyone else have a turbo go on them?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Did you get any error codes? My 2014, 3500, with 110,000 miles started losing boost. I probably could have just replaced the actuator, but replaced the turbo/actuator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get any error codes? My 2014, 3500, with 110,000 miles started losing boost. I probably could have just replaced the actuator, but replaced the turbo/actuator.
I didn’t see any codes. It just starting whining like hell and had no power. Hit the assist button and had FCA come pick it up. Just annoyed with this ‘high end’ truck. Some rattles, Asian chirps when hitting 4th gear and now this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn’t see any codes. It just starting whining like hell and had no power. Hit the assist button and had FCA come pick it up. Just annoyed with this ‘high end’ truck. Some rattles, Asian chirps when hitting 4th gear and now this.
Photo by Frederick Flintstone on May 02, 2020. Image may contain: sky, car, outdoor and nature

Best in class!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The tow and work will be under warranty. It’s just frustrating and hope the dealer it went to has a good diesel mechanic and they don’t mess up anything else on the truck.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Good luck!

You’re not the only one who has had issues with these trucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It sucks we are having problems with these new trucks for the price we pay. My 2011 2500 was so reliable and never cared what I asked it to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far the truck is at $11k for a new turbo and FCA won’t approve it until they make you jump through a hundred hoops. My concern is did it damage the CAC, coolant parts, oil and get into the motor, and the DPF? Don’t know yet if there are more problems.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
So far the truck is at $11k for a new turbo and FCA won’t approve it until they make you jump through a hundred hoops. My concern is did it damage the CAC, coolant parts, oil and get into the motor, and the DPF? Don’t know yet if there are more problems.
That's a crock of crap they're feeding you. Even at the dealers overly inflated charges, it doesn't cost $11k dollars to buy a turbo and pay a tech. Not even close.the dealers normal inflated costs would be about half that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree it is ridiculously high. I would’ve expected 4-5 tops for a new turbo and install. The service advisor had nothing more to offer me today other than that price and it’s the turbo. I expect more info tomorrow. If that is the correct repair cost than the new turbos are very expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must have to be a card carrying member to add a signature. The parts dept states the new turbo with actuator is $9500 which is insane. Gotta pay to play at 1000 lb/ft. My prop was contacting the housing on the exhaust side and will get a new turbo and potentially new CAC, and DPF. The boost tubes and boots all get replaced with new fluids. Going to complain to FCA for more warranty as my faith in this rig has diminished. I loved my 2011 Cummins and this one I will have to learn to love like a red headed stepchild. I hope nobody else has this happen to their new truck.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Must have to be a card carrying member to add a signature. The parts dept states the new turbo with actuator is $9500 which is insane. Gotta pay to play at 1000 lb/ft. My prop was contacting the housing on the exhaust side and will get a new turbo and potentially new CAC, and DPF. The boost tubes and boots all get replaced with new fluids. Going to complain to FCA for more warranty as my faith in this rig has diminished. I loved my 2011 Cummins and this one I will have to learn to love like a red headed stepchild. I hope nobody else has this happen to their new truck.
They’re just telling you the list price of the turbo. Anybody can buy it for 3-4K cheaper. Kind of like when we all brag about how much off of MSRP we got our trucks, but when there’s an issue with it, it’s “this shouldn’t be happening on a $100,000 truck”.

·
Registered
800 Posts
So basically when these things are out warranty and actuator failures begin to occur, we will see 2nd gen swaps out the wazoo...

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Don't get too frustrated Nwe5thgen. This is typical dealer bullchit, if you haven't experienced it before. I don't have alot of dealer experience, like some who buy new vehicles all the time, as typically only my company trucks are new and warranty, most personal vehicles are used/no warranty. But 90% of the time, it's some uninformed story you get, a quote about how godawful expensive it is (like maybe with that story, some folks just open their wallet? Otherwise idgaf if they claim it costs them $1,000,000 to repair it, not my problem), a failed repair or 2 and if you're lucky, they leave something loose or missing so you get to come back and visit them soon!

Do have new(er) Charger, still under warranty. Had a radiator leak at low miles. Dealer was nice enough, loaner car, etc, but the wife still got the "It's costing us $x,xxx to replace the radiator, blah blah blah", maybe it's an extended warranty sales pitch, idk. And they left the lower radiator hose half off, didn't tighten up the intake hose clamp and left it about 3 qts low on coolant. My 14 year old does better than that! (Not really, but he's 14 and ins't running a service department! LOL)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts