Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble finding what part i need,
trying to put a T on my oil feed line at the oil filter cannister and wire up a electric oil pressure gauge so i can monitor what pressure im getting at the turbo.
Turbo keeps leaking on the compressor side, i want a hard wired set up at the turbo to monitor it. to atleast mark one more thing off the list
so basically what is the tread size for the oil feed line and the female side on the filter cannister

due to this>
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/891434-turbo-leaking-oil-compressor-side.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone know thread sizes?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that really doesnt have what im looking for , i ordered a T with 3 1/8 npt ports on it so i need a adapter to go from the oil feed line to 1/8 npt , and an adapter to from 1/8npt to the female hole on the filter canister. would the 1/8npt restric flow to much should i step it up a few sizes?

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Guess I misunderstood what you were looking for. There is a member on the board who is an Amsoil representative who knows all about their bypass systems. including the the oil sending unit. I looked in my install info for my bypass kit and couldn't find thread sizes of the adapters.

PM Duluth Diesel. I'll bet he will know.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There is an 1/8" pipe port on the filter base you can check pressure there. There shouldn't be a pressure difference between there and the turbo since the oil feed line for the turbo comes straight off the filter base. The only time your going to see a pressure differnce is if you have a restriction in that oil line. Dont worry about flow through an 1/8" pipe since your measuring pressure. Only time you need to worry is if you are going through an orifice with flow.

·
Registered
589 Posts
7/16 x 20 I believe

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so if i use my sender on top of the filter cannister i will get an accurate reading of what the turbo is getting ? i am already using 1 of the two ports for oil temp

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and what would yall reccomend a mechanical or electrical gauge, to be honest i really dont like the idea of running an oil line into the cab but the price is a selling point .

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Some companies use a different fluid to transfer into the cab. Basically they have a box that you hook your oil line to and then another fluid that is safe is used to tell the gauge in the cab. To answer the question about the port on the filter head yes it will be the same unless there is an issue with the line to the turbo but I doubt that could happen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which company would that be? all the sites ive looked at dont show any other parts coming with the mechanical gauges , im trying to stick with an autometer gauge

·
Registered
394 Posts
Couple of thoughts....
First. Several shops that build twins or have 2nd gen swaps will have adapters. Stock is 12mm-1.25 o-ringed fitting where it connects to the oil filter hsg.
Couple if questions.... 1) Are you still using the stock oil supply line or custom? You CAN flood a turbo. Too large of fittings and hoses flow more oil than the bearings can pass. This can overpressure the seals and blow them out. Most turbos require 1/8" orifice. Check the installation instructions. They should state what size of orifice needs to be used. The stock fittings are orificed by the internal passage size.
2) Are you 100% sure the oil drain line is open? Can cause flooding if it's restricted.

Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts