Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 3500 HO Cummins, 99685 miles

Started the truck last Friday, check engine light appears. Idling a bit different. Pulling a 40' flatbed with appropriate 10K lb load that needed to be delivered. Drove about 250 miles, a bit slow off the line but plenty of power, average mpg fuel economy. I get the load delivered, located the nearest Ram service center (Twin Falls Idaho 09 July Friday] . Service writer pulls codes, Turbo, no communication with Nox sensor. Informs me he can't get me in until Wednesday (14 July).
Took the truck in this morning, after about 30 minute diagnosis, returns to tell me the Turbo is "bad", needs to be replaced, 4 to 8 week due to backorder.
I have less than 350 miles until I cross the 100K mile warranty threshold. Was told to call Ram customer support, asked if I could drive truck back to my home (750 miles away,, Arizona). Waiting on the decision / approval.

How often are these Turbo's failing? Is the Turbo actually bad ? What further damage could I possibly do by continuing to drive it ? Am I best off to just park, wait here 750 miles away from home for 4 to 8 weeks while they source a new turbo ?

Any & all suggestions and feedback appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks like you make a living with the truck? If so, I’d have a hard time waiting 4-8 weeks for a new turbo.
Obviously you can wait on the dealer and / or Ram to handle things with the truck. I would at a minimum, try to call another close by dealer and see if they provide a more satisfactory solution? If that fails, perhaps call an independent diesel shop in the area? Yes it will suck paying out of pocket, but maybe they know the true fix instead of just replacing parts (I.E, maybe it’s just the actuator, or some other component of the turbo assembly causing problems). Maybe they have a “take off” turbo on the shelf from another customers truck who did some upgrades?

Just throwing out some other options for ya.

Also, on my ‘10, I drove around for 2+ years with various intermittent turbo codes, and actually had the exhaust brake get stuck closed on me multiple times, but I was always able to turn the truck off and restart then go months with no issues. Not saying your issue and mine were the same, just sharing my experience. If it were me and I were you, and the trucks performance was not diminished, I’d maybe wait a day or two to hear from Ram and then keep on truckin! Just my $0.02

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you make a living with the truck? If so, I’d have a hard time waiting 4-8 weeks for a new turbo.
Obviously you can wait on the dealer and / or Ram to handle things with the truck. I would at a minimum, try to call another close by dealer and see if they provide a more satisfactory solution? If that fails, perhaps call an independent diesel shop in the area? Yes it will suck paying out of pocket, but maybe they know the true fix instead of just replacing parts (I.E, maybe it’s just the actuator, or some other component of the turbo assembly causing problems). Maybe they have a “take off” turbo on the shelf from another customers truck who did some upgrades?

Just throwing out some other options for ya.

Also, on my ‘10, I drove around for 2+ years with various intermittent turbo codes, and actually had the exhaust brake get stuck closed on me multiple times, but I was always able to turn the truck off and restart then go months with no issues. Not saying your issue and mine were the same, just sharing my experience. If it were me and I were you, and the trucks performance was not diminished, I’d maybe wait a day or two to hear from Ram and then keep on truckin! Just my $0.02
Thanks for the feedback. Correct, the truck is my income and I'm hemeraging $$$ everyday the wheels aren't turning. Hoping to hear back from Ram customer service (oxymoron) today and they allow me to drive home (800 miles) and go past the magical 100K mileage. I guess I'm grateful this happened while still under warranty. Just went through head gasket & EGR Cooler 2 weeks ago. My 1st mechanical issues with this truck, now 2 in a row. Hoping this is the end of failures.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recently had to deal with Dodge on our Durango. 600 miles out of warranty and the water pump started leaking. It took a week of back and forth, but they did end up replacing it for a $100 deductible. I would think if it's been documented that there's an issue while under warranty that there would be some leniency on going over the miles while waiting for a fix. I would get it in writing though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 2015 2500 actuator went at 103,000. It ran normal, just threw codes daily. It was just the actuator, not the turbo/vanes.
I could have went with the self programing but just went non vgt.
Its not hard to pull the actuator, off and check if the vanes move free, and if so, just go $1,000 self calibrating actuator.
Best of luck, hope it starts to work out a little better for ya.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Man, you had to have the headgaskets replaced already also? Wonder if they didn’t plug something in all the way? Or if somehow the two issues are connected.

·
Registered
I know nothing.🙄
1,639 Posts
Man, you had to have the headgaskets replaced already also? Wonder if they didn’t plug something in all the way? Or if somehow the two issues are connected.
Maybe turbo killed head gasket🤔

Or maybe the green filters killed both turbo and head gasket🤔🤔

·
White Lightning
13,598 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Correct, the truck is my income and I'm hemeraging $$$ everyday the wheels aren't turning. Hoping to hear back from Ram customer service (oxymoron) today and they allow me to drive home (800 miles) and go past the magical 100K mileage. I guess I'm grateful this happened while still under warranty. Just went through head gasket & EGR Cooler 2 weeks ago. My 1st mechanical issues with this truck, now 2 in a row. Hoping this is the end of failures.
Your work order that was originated on the date and documented mileage should be all you need to justify warranty replacement after the odometer exceeds the 100,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would maybe call and see if another dealer nearby has one that isn't accounted for in the inventory..sometimes dealers have a part that they didn't end up installing or not inventoried.

Worth a shot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of tge feedback and suggestions.
UPDATE: I spoke with an Account Manager from Ram customer service yesterday several times. The second to the last phone call she informed me that they would allow an extension to the warranty mileage limitations to travel home (800 miles) but I'd be responsible for any further damages or towing costs if I did break down. She also stated that she strongly suggested that I don't risk the trip as things could potentially get much worse (I'm not convinced that I'd do any further damages).
She then called back about 15 minutes later to inform me that the part (Turbo) had "been released from the warehouse and would either ship or be delivered within 1 to 3 days". She is supposed to call me again this morning to confirm and to clarify.

Much better news than 4 to 8 weeks. That said, I'll believe it when I see it. Bottom line is I've been stranded in Twin Falls Idaho for a week now, cheapest hotel rate I've sourced is costing me over $100 a day.

I'm still very curious how many others have suffered Turbo failure at or around 100K miles ? And / or had Head gasket, EGR cooler, Turbo gasket & coolant reservoir fail & needed to be replaced at just under 100K miles ???

I can't help but "assume" the first 2 Ram service centers I trusted might if screwed me. Here's long story short:

5 weeks ago, low coolant light appears, I add 1/3rd gallon of coolant, 50 mikes later, light appears again, takes almost 1/2 gallon coolant (no visible sign of leakage). I find a truck stop that ironically had a Ram Dealership next door on a Sunday afternoon, spend tge night, at Ram service center at 7am Monday. 1 hour later I am informed I need a Turbo gasket, 2 days to arrive. $850.
I pickup my truck Wednesday noon, make it 50 miles down the road, Low Coolant light appears again. Add coolant (this time obvious coolant leaking, impossible to tell from exactly where), find another Stealership (oops, Dealership). They add die to the coolant, tell me to put 50+ miles on the truck and return in the morning.
Next morning I'm told they "found a hairline crack on the coolant reservoir, overnighted the reservoir and installed tge next day ($700).
50 miles later, Low Coolant light appears again, no sign of leakage. Takes maybe 1/4 gallon of coolant. Take it to Dealership #3. Diagnosis head gasket, EGR Cooler, ect. Told 3 to 4 week backorder. After 2 days of phone calls, finally got the parts within 2 weeks ($1500+ hotel costs).
Now here I am, 1300 miles later, check engine light, turbo.
Told you it was a long story. Never experienced anything like this in 60 years. Reaching out to forum members for suggestions & feedback. This is my 1st Ram truck (been a lifelong GMC / Chevy guy. I'd buy the truck that paired the Cummins engine with the Allison transmission all day long. And I'd delete that Cummins immediately.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Never experienced anything like this in 60 years. Reaching out to forum members for suggestions & feedback. This is my 1st Ram truck (been a lifelong GMC / Chevy guy. I'd buy the truck that paired the Cummins engine with the Allison transmission all day long. And I'd delete that Cummins immediately.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your feedback.

Agree. My dad owned GM trucks, Uncles owned Chevy trucks, and my Godfather owned Fords. No one in the family has every owned a dodge/ram. Now that I've owned a Ram, never again. If the problems I've had could have been fixed the first time, or the 2nd time, or the 3rd time, I wouldn't be complaining. But, the manufacture and every dealer experience has sucked big time. So, never again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree. My dad owned GM trucks, Uncles owned Chevy trucks, and my Godfather owned Fords. No one in the family has every owned a dodge/ram. Now that I've owned a Ram, never again. If the problems I've had could have been fixed the first time, or the 2nd time, or the 3rd time, I wouldn't be complaining. But, the manufacture and every dealer experience has sucked big time. So, never again.
Unfortunately I have to agree. Ram service is an Oxymoron. I understand the Covid BS had disturbed all resources across the board, but 4 to 8 weeks to source parts ??? Unless I spend 1/2 a day on the phone with "corporate", then told 1 - 3 days. I've never had service - warranty issues with GMC / Chevy like I've constantly experienced with Ram.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The turbo faurw happens, is it a hughe problem...no.

Its certainly a pain when it happens to you and frustrating In a situation like yours.

One thing about the Coolant leakage with no visible leaks can he the sign of a bad EGR cooler....any white smoke from the exhaust?

·
Registered
I know nothing.🙄
1,639 Posts
Chrysler's Service? What service?

Reactions: AZSteele and Zinga

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel your pain and am sorry to hear you and others have such bad experiences with service. Here in Los Angeles, I have been lucky I guess and always got decent service with these diesels. Maybe you need to avoid small town dealers and head for the bigger ones that have decent diesel techs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe you need to avoid small town dealers and head for the bigger ones that have decent diesel techs.
LOL. I've been saying for months that a truck is more than a hunk of metal with a Diesel engine bolted to it.
The engine has been the only thing that works.

The first dealer that was unable to fix the radio problem after owning the truck for 3 months was Walnut Creek Fiat Qui-Qui. 3 dealer visits - 6 days. They couldn't fix it because they manufacture couldn't fix it.
The first dealer that was unable to perform an emissions recall was Elk Grove Fiat Qui-Qui. It's a large dealer. Unable to perform an emission recall. Odd. It's where I bought it. But I should have read the reviews of how bad their service was.
Larry Miller Fiat Qui-Qui in Ogden took 3 appointments over 6 months to perform the safety step recall. On the 3rd visit, they finally re-flashed the computer, which fixed the transmissions problems that I had been having for 9 months. They also replaced the radio that the first dealer couldn't fix. But, the radio still crashes - just not as much.
The front end clunk (the one with the TSB)? Nope. Wouldn't fix it.
The AC problem (the one with the TSB)? Nope. Wouldn't fix it.

But, on the 1st and 2nd visit, they found parking for the truck in their lot, even though I had made appointments both times, two weeks in advance, with all the issues listed and documented. Yet, all they could do was park the truck and not touch it. What good is an appointment when all they do is nothing?
FCA had to call them and force them to order the parts. After they got the parts (available within 4 days), FCA followed up with me and asked this question: "Has the dealer called you to schedule an appointment?" Hmmm. No.

But, I did learn this: Larry Miller Fiat Qui-Qui in Ogden is really high on the problem-dealership scale as far as FCA is concerned.

And, that was 3 of 5 dealers I've been to. The only dealer that had brains was a small Ford dealer in Rio Vista, who also did factory service on Rams.

4 out of 5 in two states over an 18 month period sucked.

And now I know why so many long time dodge owners complain about the dealerships.

Finally, this week, Ford has the pricing out on the 2022 SD. I'm debating between a F350 SRW or DRW, with the 7.3 and trading in the Fiat Qui-Qui. I'd rather have a truck that works than a functioning cummins bolted to a piece of crap, with a useless factory warranty.

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,729 Posts
When the Ferd starts doing the same stuff, you get treated the same and start using those new sneakers that come with every new Ferd purchased, I don’t want to hear ya complain.

1626470918087.jpeg

·
Registered
412 Posts
When the Ferd starts doing the same stuff, you get treated the same and start using those new sneakers that come with every new Ferd purchased, I don’t want to hear ya complain.

View attachment 931028 View attachment 931028
LOL. I'm not brain washed and don't need to be de-programmed like the typical dodge owner.

The Fords and Lincolns we've owned haven't had issues. Neither have the GMs, nor the Jaguars, etc. Furthermore, the dealers have never been stumped. Every problem has always been repaired, and we've never had any major issues.

The 3500 Fiat Qui-Qui? Piece of crap. The only thing that works reliably is the engine and the CP4.

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,729 Posts
I was just having some fun at your expense. Glad ya got a sense of humor. Hope all goes well for ya.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was just having some fun at your expense. Glad ya got a sense of humor. Hope all goes well for ya.
I got the joke and I thought the pictures were funny.
Big picture? It's not a big deal. I really wanted this to be the last truck I purchased, or for at least 8-10 years before I got another. It tows great. But the problems aren't worth dealing with it. And because of that, my wife also hates it. She loves driving my F350. So, I'll get another but with a bigger gas engine. Many people have wanted to buy the F350, and the majority are close friends. But my wife likes driving it as a 2nd car when needed. With the market as it is, I can sell the 3500, finally order the 2022 and wait, and not worry.
Hopefully by the time the new truck arrives, Bye-don will be gone also.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts