Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Helping my brother out with a problem he is having with his 05 Ram 2500. When he bought the truck he purchased an extended warranty from "National Warranty".

About a week ago the truck started to act funny and we figured it was the tranny was on its way out. We took it into a knowledgeable and well known diesel shop in our area. They looked over the truck and found that the turbo was seized. National sent out a inspector to look at the turbo and he stated that over time the main nut had back its self off, fell off, and then just let the impeller dance around destroying the turbo. Therefore because the part isn't a lubricated part it isn't covered under the warranty.

My question is, isn't the bearings on the turbos always seizing and then result in a sudden stop in the shaft, making the nut come loose and letting the cold side impeller bounce around until complete failure?

Please let me know what you guys think about this, and if there is any dodge TSBs or literature that explains this happening.

Thank you for you're time...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Am I reading this wrong??? Are they saying the turbo is not a lubricated part or are they trying to say the turbo is made up of non lubricated parts and lubricated parts. What does the warranty say it covers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is where the claim stands. The truck is sitting at the shop with the turbo still sitting in the truck. The inspector came out and looked at the turbo and said that the turbo destroyed itself because the nut came loose which cause the shaft to have play there for seizing the turbo.

I called the manger at National Warranty and gave him the bearing scenario and he said that you would hear a bearing failing over time and they just don't seize.

I have now told the shop to take the turbo off and get them to open the turbo up and check the bearing. If they find new info towards the claim, National will send out another inspector to take a look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ex; they're saying that the part of the turbo that failed is not lubricated therefore it voids the claim.

My angle is that a lubricated part(the bearing) failed, which then in turn made another part fail(cold side nut), which then let the turbo destroy itself. Does this scenario make sense or do you think I'm just wasting my time?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Im glad i told them no..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ex; they're saying that the part of the turbo that failed is not lubricated therefore it voids the claim.

My angle is that a lubricated part(the bearing) failed, which then in turn made another part fail(cold side nut), which then let the turbo destroy itself. Does this scenario make sense or do you think I'm just wasting my time?
Makes sense what you're saying, I guess you'll find out when they dismantle the turbo. I'd look into it further with what exactly is covered by the warranty. I know I'm repeating myself, but it sounds like they're working some wording on a loop hole.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats pretty much what they're doing. They say on the paperwork that they cover turbos. I contacted Cummins and they say the turbo as a whole is considered a lubricated part and he has never heard of a nut just loosening over time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does it have to be submersed in oil to be covered under :confused013:

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
sounds like they are trying to duck out on the repair

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
I would get a statement from both Cummins and Holset regarding the turbo being a UNIT and a LUBRICATED part. Then, you have ammo for an attorney. Nuts in turbos don't come loose over time, at the rate a turbo spins IF a nut came loose it would be history in seconds. I bet both Cummins and Holset would verify that too.

I turned them down too, good thing, their rep would be giving me his jive talk and I would be dialing up my attorney before he finished his speel.

CD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Someone may want to chime in on what direction the turbo spins and (Most likely opposite direction) what direction the threads on the nut turns. No one would ever design a turbo that reaches massive rpms to back spin a nut. I once had a service writer at dodge tell me my mickey thompson tire were "out of round"........ I called my tire guy on speaker phone right in front of him and explained the situation to him. Silence, then laughter, followed by "is he a F#%*@^G Idiot!!!!!!". I agree with CD get some paperwork backing up your claims. All else fails most lawyers write very good letters for $100.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Wow this why I don't like aftermarket warranties.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My question if the nut came off then where it went? Into the engine? what else could be damaged? A steel nut is not something thats going to crush easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should have a failure anyalsis done by a shop that specializes in turbocharger sales and service.Holset turbo's are a very hearty unit,they don't give alot of trouble.I think GCL has a shop in Calgary,in Edmonton for sure.They are very reputable and experienced.Generally a compressor wheel nut dosen't back off.It is usually caused by a sudden stop of the turbine shaft(like100,000 to zero rpm).The bearings are most definately engine oil lubricated.Make sure to take lots of pictures if someone tears it down to do a failure anyalsis. Hope this helps Jim . Oops for some reason I thought you lived in Calgary,Ab.I guess find someone local to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You should have a failure anyalsis done by a shop that specializes in turbocharger sales and service.Holset turbo's are a very hearty unit,they don't give alot of trouble.I think GCL has a shop in Calgary,in Edmonton for sure.They are very reputable and experienced.Generally a compressor wheel nut dosen't back off.It is usually caused by a sudden stop of the turbine shaft(like100,000 to zero rpm).The bearings are most definately engine oil lubricated.Make sure to take lots of pictures if someone tears it down to do a failure anyalsis. Hope this helps Jim . Oops for some reason I thought you lived in Calgary,Ab.I guess find someone local to you.
The diesel shop took the turbo off and sent it to a turbo shop and is waiting for an anyalsis. I agree 100% with you Jim about the sudden stop in the shaft and cause a problem with the nut. Guess we'll see where we stand after we get the report back.

Everyone I talk to states that the "turbo" is a lubricated part in a whole. Also, there is no way those nuts just back themselves off over time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Heres a little update on the story. The well known shop called me today stating that pretty much their turbo shop couldnt find out what made the turbo fail. So I pretty much gave up and went into the shop to pick up the truck. When I started talking to the service guy he says that it was pretty much the bearing that failed. WTF! So I canceled the tow truck. I get to see the bearing and there is a big chunk missing from it. Got him to get back on the phone with the warranty company and they're sending out another inspector to look at it tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts