Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to time and budget reason I'm going to have to put my compounds on hold for awhile but still want to do something with my turbo so heres my dilema: :confused013:

GDS 60mm and 14cm non wg or 16cm non wg $425-535 + shipping
OR
Diesel Auto Power generic HX35/40 14cm wg, 60mm 8blade $329.00 + shipping and maybe new oil lines and dp (size/ fitting diffrences?)

The HX35/40 would give me a new turbo but I'm not sure about the 8 blade design sine I thought the 6 blade was the prefered and any savings could be eaten up by the lines and dp if needed.

Also if I go with the GDS stuff I assume that the rebuild kit would be advised for new gaskets, etc?

Any advice, thoughts, ideas, things I've overlooked would be appriceated.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
he351cw off 2004.5-2007 cummins and you can get them on the net or at a local scrap dealer for 100-300 maybe a bit more and way better benfit then either of those the hx35/40 or the 60mm upgrade.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah around here I'd have better luck finding a unicorn, lepricon and an honest politican. If I'm going with a "used" turbo that needs rebuilt for piece of mind I'll stick with the h1c, not that I haven't thought of the cw but since they are popular they are getting hard to find and pricey.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah around hear I'd have better luck finding a unicorn, lepricon and an honest politican. If I'm going with a "used" turbo that needs rebuilt for piece of mind I'll stick with the h1c, not that I haven't thought of the cw but since they are popular they are getting hard to find and pricey.
i here you on that one thats why i think im going to go with a 60mm upgrade i hear they perform about the same as an hx35 and some better

·
Registered
916 Posts
dont belive the he351 is just a simple bolt on either

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I think if you could find a good HE351cw or HE351VGT for like $250, which they are on ebay all the time, would be a better choice, because you get a 60mm compressor wheel and housing, and a 9cm^2 turbine housing. Those two for the H1c would be well over $500. The HE351 is the best bang for the buck IMO.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a vgt and decided it was going to be to much of a pain to make everything work right, maybe in time when someone makes a cheaper stand alone controller but not now. Most of the reading I did said guys weren't letting them get under 12cm and suffered terriable bark if they weren't careful plus the brake contolling didn't seem real precise. And then again I'm back to rebuilding a used turbo so why not just upgrade the h1c?

·
Registered
916 Posts
im upgrading myn keeping my stock housing becuase dont want boost at highway speeds and i personaly light the little bit of lag i got lets me put around not building any boost but when i get on it puts a smile on your face personaly i would just upgrade your stocker talk to firstgenfarmboy he had good results with his

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I think if you could find a good HE351cw or HE351VGT for like $250, which they are on ebay all the time, would be a better choice, because you get a 60mm compressor wheel and housing, and a 9cm^2 turbine housing. Those two for the H1c would be well over $500. The HE351 is the best bang for the buck IMO.
I agree good upgrade and best for you bang for your buck.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
there are plenty of good HE351's out there. I've got a couple nice ones at the house. Let me know if I can help :eek:
If i cant get one from my scrapper or the deal falls threw im always intrested how much for one and where are you ill send a pm

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I read alot of firstgenfarmboys stuff and like his setup and truck. I got a friend running just the GDS 60mm and another running a wh1c I belive with the bigger upgrade and a wg 12cm and can tell big diffrences between them and my stocker. I may just go with GDS 60mm for now and get the 16cm down the road but haven't fully decided.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts