Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to round up the parts and pieces for a turbo and manifold conversion. I will be using an HE351 turbo with the solenoid delete from ATS and putting my adjustable boost elbow in the compressor housing. Mounting it to a 2nd Gen. manifold and re-installing my exhaust brake. If any of you that have done this before or have any infoon this could chime in and tell me if there is anything that i have missed or i will need in addition i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the bd boost fooler that i have not do that?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump to top

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure about the BD. Haven't seen one yet. If it is just a run around that plugs into your electronic wastegate wiring harness and you unplug the harness from the acuator, then yes, it's the samething. That just keeps the computer from thinking that the actuator is bad. It will throw an turbo code if it is unpluged.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have all the basic parts for the conversion now. I just need a few small things like gaskets, flange bolts, etc. When i start i will let you know along with some pics.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Keep us posted. Just put my 351 on my stock 3rd gen manifold yesturday. Happy with the results.

I will be interested to see what you do with the intercooler piping.

And we need pictures

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think form what i have read is just cut some of the piping off. My big problem is going o be modifying my AFE intake.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You will need a different down pipe.I used a HX40 down pipe on mine.

Good luck with the AFE box and second gen mounted turbo.I tried to make it fit as well and just decided to fab my own pipe using the AFE filter.Here is a pic of the motor.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Howling1; :drool2: That is one good looking engine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i have a four inch downpipe already. Wow that is a good looking valve cover who did that. What kind of pipe did you use for your air intake.

Reactions: crewcabstripper

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had my uncle paint my valve cover,he paints bikes and helmets in his spare time.

The air intake is a 5" 45 exhaust elbow.It was shortend on both sides to get it to fit right the I welded a block on that I tapped for the sensor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
looking to do the same to my truck... have you found a 4" turbo elbow for the factory Jake brake??? I'm having problems finding one...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I want to do the swap because of the sound and also hope of keeping the back cylinders a tad cooler, I project getting twins in about 5 years(lol) so why not do the swap now and find a he351 for now and sell what I have. You tube some of the homeade videos of people that have done the swap and their truck sound awesome! The motors sound more like a machine to me rather than a quiet truck

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I want to do the swap because of the sound and also hope of keeping the back cylinders a tad cooler, I project getting twins in about 5 years(lol) so why not do the swap now and find a he351 for now and sell what I have. You tube some of the homeade videos of people that have done the swap and there truck sound awesome! The motors sound more like a machine to me rather than a quiet truck
The back cylinders will not be that much cooler for all of the BS you have to go through, logically, it is not worth all of the effort to save a few *degrees, but that is my opinion, it is your truck and your money, and you have the right to do as you wish, I have no say at all, I can only offer advice based on experiences and opinions, but like stated if you are doing twins later the 2nd gen mani is the only one you can get to save $$. The Exhuast sounds like a 2nd gen straight pipe, which the 2nd gens do sound good.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The back cylinders will not be that much cooler for all of the BS you have to go through, logically, it is not worth all of the effort to save a few *degrees
True, but what else do me and my shade tree mechanic have to do beside drink :beer:? jk

But seriously do you know about how much egts will drop with a 2nd gen manifold and a he351 swap do? I tow pretty heavy and lowering exhaust temp never hurts.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Im going to go out on a limb here and give you a great estimate of 100* but with a fooler could see another 75* ;) :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts