Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since i've been here got rid of the bug of messing with my trucks, but need some help with my 13 3500. It has 166km (just over 100k miles) and i'm 1 month out of the engine warranty. I've read enough to know it's the turbo code from the actuator, possibly need to replace turbo. I've tried contacting dealers here and searching online but no definite answer as to which warranty coverage this would fall under? If it's not the 5/100k miles I won't waste my time with the dealer, if it is it's worth a shot to try and get at least some covered as i'm so close to still being in warranty.

Here's the odd part, the light went on/off a few times I figured maybe dirty air filter, changed made no difference, pull code with reader and see what it is. I checked the wiring and there is power and ground and resistance is fine on the harness. Since re-connecting it took about 10 starts for engine light to come back (I checked to make sure it was same code and no new ones) after 4 starts it disappeared, after roughly 10-12 more it came back, 4 starts gone again. Probably at 20 starts now and again nothing. I'm wondering does it sound like more electrical being so erratic? This is over a span of about 2 weeks.

I pulled my 16k bumper pull trailer last week, no loss of power at all. Exhaust brake works perfect in 6th gear in both modes, soon as truck shifts down engine brake doesn't work in any other gears (works fine again if truck goes to 6th). No odd sounds at all.

I've owned since new and always run the engine brake, and tow/haul reasonably heavy often, I think in the whole life of truck i've got the regen pop up 2 times. So i'm assuming the turbo has got to be pretty clean.

If no warranty my plan was to take it to reputable shop let them pull apart and check out turbo, that way I have warranty on actuator if they tell me turbo is fine. Is it worth the savings for not doing turbo? I plan to run this truck until it's not worth fixing, so i'm fine with spending a few extra bucks if it will work out better in the long run.

Is it worth it to take it to Cummins for repair? There is one near me, never had anything there for service but been helpful buying parts.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
MHO is that from the info you provided, it's probably the actuator. In my case, the code popped when ever I cold started the truck. I could watch the VGT position on my CTS2 Insight and it would read 0% until the truck warmed up. Then it would work fine. Plenty of power and EB in all gears that it would normally work in. I talked to multiple techs. Told them the symptoms and they cautioned me on only changing the actuator. According to them, with my symptoms, they thought it was more than likely the collar starting to stick and it would loosen up enough to work once it was warm. I decided that since I was out of warranty and didn't have the time or patience to keep fooling with it, I bit the bullet and replaced the whole turbo and actuator together. My dad works in the auto repair industry and was able to get me a really good deal on a OEM remanufactured turbo with actuator. Lucky for me, it didn't need to be calibrated either. Did the swap in my driveway. Total PITA, but saved me a ton of money.

I wish you luck. If you need more info from me, let me know. I'll help any way I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Most cummins Corp shops won't touch them due to agreements with fca. Find a good independent.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MHO is that from the info you provided, it's probably the actuator. In my case, the code popped when ever I cold started the truck. I could watch the VGT position on my CTS2 Insight and it would read 0% until the truck warmed up. Then it would work fine. Plenty of power and EB in all gears that it would normally work in. I talked to multiple techs. Told them the symptoms and they cautioned me on only changing the actuator. According to them, with my symptoms, they thought it was more than likely the collar starting to stick and it would loosen up enough to work once it was warm. I decided that since I was out of warranty and didn't have the time or patience to keep fooling with it, I bit the bullet and replaced the whole turbo and actuator together. My dad works in the auto repair industry and was able to get me a really good deal on a OEM remanufactured turbo with actuator. Lucky for me, it didn't need to be calibrated either. Did the swap in my driveway. Total PITA, but saved me a ton of money.

I wish you luck. If you need more info from me, let me know. I'll help any way I can.

The only reason I figured mine might be different is because it doesn't change, doesn't matter if truck is cold or hot, it works exactly the same. Called a shop and they also recommend doing the whole turbo and said they don't like to only do the actuator.

Labour was ok, just under $900 but they want $5600 for a rebuilt turbo which seems insane.

How bad was the swap and how long did it take? I have a heated garage I can do the work in, but i've never done a turbo and sure looks like there isn't a lot of room in there. For $900 not sure I want to bother, but it would mean finding a shop with a reasonably priced unit or bringing a unit for a shop to put in but not sure many would want to do that.

I found this rebuilt one online and it's in Canada for $2100. Am I missing something? I've have to verify it comes with actuator but from the picture it does. Even the brand new one is only $4200. Shipping is free, i'm sure shipping to return my turbo would be under $100 and for $3500 difference it's worth the hassle.

https://www.bcdiesel.ca/en/turbo-charger-reman-oem-factory-dodge-2013-2019

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you decide to replace the actuator you might consider the City Diesel replacement for $895.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-cummins-replacement-turbo-actuator-gear-housing-cm-actkit2013/new-products
Seems like a good idea but I don't think I want to risk only replacing part. Also a nightmare when you'd have to take off the actuator look at it then order the part, being that i'm in Canada i'd be looking at a week plus of downtime, or having to put it back on and put coolant back in, then i'm probably in it for the same labour as a turbo replacement, and by the time I got that part to me with exchange i'd probably be at $1400 and very close to the cost of a turbo.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The only reason I figured mine might be different is because it doesn't change, doesn't matter if truck is cold or hot, it works exactly the same. Called a shop and they also recommend doing the whole turbo and said they don't like to only do the actuator.

Labour was ok, just under $900 but they want $5600 for a rebuilt turbo which seems insane.

How bad was the swap and how long did it take? I have a heated garage I can do the work in, but i've never done a turbo and sure looks like there isn't a lot of room in there. For $900 not sure I want to bother, but it would mean finding a shop with a reasonably priced unit or bringing a unit for a shop to put in but not sure many would want to do that.

I found this rebuilt one online and it's in Canada for $2100. Am I missing something? I've have to verify it comes with actuator but from the picture it does. Even the brand new one is only $4200. Shipping is free, i'm sure shipping to return my turbo would be under $100 and for $3500 difference it's worth the hassle.

Heck, they've got a NEW one listed for $4195 CAD, which works out to $3226 US Dollars.

Or am I missing something??

Quick glance online tells me that $5600 for a 'rebuilt' ("rebuilt" is VERY different from 'Reman') turbo is on the nuts side.

Or, again, am I missing something?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heck, they've got a NEW one listed for $4195 CAD, which works out to $3226 US Dollars.

Or am I missing something??

Quick glance online tells me that $5600 for a 'rebuilt' ("rebuilt" is VERY different from 'Reman') turbo is on the nuts side.

Or, again, am I missing something?
My thoughts are the same, I don't think there's any point spending double the money on new but it shows how overpriced the local one is. I verified with them it was rebuilt as I thought maybe for that price it was new or some kind of upgrade. I haven't seen any say reman, I doubt anyone would ever buy one if they knew what it was.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My thoughts are the same, I don't think there's any point spending double the money on new but it shows how overpriced the local one is. I verified with them it was rebuilt as I thought maybe for that price it was new or some kind of upgrade. I haven't seen any say reman, I doubt anyone would ever buy one if they knew what it was.
I've always liked jasper Engines' stuff. I understand they still do good work. But that's just what I hear. I have no personal experience other than listening to what other people say.

And most people say 'rebuilt' even when it's actually a reman. But be sure of what you're buying. There is a YUGE difference.

https://www.jasperengines.com/cummins-67l-fuel-and-air-components

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
If you do it yourself, you need a scan tool capable of recalibrating the actuator to the ecm, I think the alfaOBD can handle it and is the cheapest way.

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts

The swap isn't 'bad'. It's more cumbersome and annoying. You will curse and perhaps make up new curse words. I'm a mason, not a mechanic. My dad is a body man. Both of us are mechanically inclined though. We did it in my back yard.....in the grass......in the summer in NC.....under a giant pecan tree. Took us 6 hours from start to finish. Most of the work is through the fender well.

If you replace just the actuator, it needs to be recalibrated. There is a process that needs to be followed to do this. Alfa OBD can do it. If you have access to high level scan tool such as a SnapOn etc., they can do it. If you purchase a turbo with an actuator already installed, it should be plug and play. Notice I sad should. According to techs at dealer, 1-2 out of ten will need recalibrating. Which means draining coolant again and you should put new seals on the actuator. Fortunately for me, mine was plug and play. The worst part is the oil and coolant lines on the bottom of the turbo. No room to work with that damn heat shield.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Definitely shop around. Prices are all over the board. I shopped extreme diesel performance among others. My dad was able to get a reman complete turbo and actuator for roughly half of what I could get it for. It's a bunch of BS on how much these companies mark up this stuff.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Most cummins Corp shops won't touch them due to agreements with fca. Find a good independent.
Cummins doesn't have the software to do anything electronic.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found another shop, they want 6.5 hours @ $130 to install so $850, but $3700 for OEM rebuilt turbo. They will however just do install at that rate if I bring them a turbo. But no warranty on labour so if there was a problem i'd be on the hook for labour, if they supply turbo any warranty labour is free.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The swap isn't 'bad'. It's more cumbersome and annoying. You will curse and perhaps make up new curse words. I'm a mason, not a mechanic. My dad is a body man. Both of us are mechanically inclined though. We did it in my back yard.....in the grass......in the summer in NC.....under a giant pecan tree. Took us 6 hours from start to finish. Most of the work is through the fender well.

If you replace just the actuator, it needs to be recalibrated. There is a process that needs to be followed to do this. Alfa OBD can do it. If you have access to high level scan tool such as a SnapOn etc., they can do it. If you purchase a turbo with an actuator already installed, it should be plug and play. Notice I sad should. According to techs at dealer, 1-2 out of ten will need recalibrating. Which means draining coolant again and you should put new seals on the actuator. Fortunately for me, mine was plug and play. The worst part is the oil and coolant lines on the bottom of the turbo. No room to work with that damn heat shield.

Ok that's not too bad. I'm no mechanic either but I do all my own repairs on my equipment for my small earthmoving company and i'm well versed in swearing at stupid designs that make things virtually impossible. My biggest concern with repairs like that is if there's important things that need to be done that could be missed, or something to screw up. Is there any way to know if it's calibrated prior to install? Friend of mine is shop foreman at Freightliner dealership so provided it's not special software he has the fancy equipment for it. If I got in a pinch I could always have him come help me too.

I'm on the fence, if it was summer i'd take it to a shop because it's not worth my hassle. But it's suppose to turn into a deep freeze for the next week-week and a half so I got extra time on my hands.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definitely shop around. Prices are all over the board. I shopped extreme diesel performance among others. My dad was able to get a reman complete turbo and actuator for roughly half of what I could get it for. It's a bunch of BS on how much these companies mark up this stuff.

The last shop was straightforward they mark up turbo a few hundred in order to warranty it, which i'm fine with. Even $300 so I have full warranty and no screwing around with core? That's fine. But $1600 extra is a ton. However I don't see where they can be marking it up that much when they had no issues with installing a turbo bought elsewhere, his only comment was make sure it's from a reputable company and check out any reviews of their products you can.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I got the best way figured out. I spoke to my buddy and he told me of a place in the city here that all they do is rebuild turbos they are even a OEM supplier of Holset so I know there's likely no one better to rebuild it, and if I can have the truck down take mine in and get in rebuilt, that way I know what it is and not chancing having a turbo I don't know the history of even if it's a rebuilt as there could be other issues. Totally makes sense, and he figured it would probably only be like $1,000 for them to rebuild it, then buy new actuator.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think I got the best way figured out. I spoke to my buddy and he told me of a place in the city here that all they do is rebuild turbos they are even a OEM supplier of Holset so I know there's likely no one better to rebuild it, and if I can have the truck down take mine in and get in rebuilt, that way I know what it is and not chancing having a turbo I don't know the history of even if it's a rebuilt as there could be other issues. Totally makes sense, and he figured it would probably only be like $1,000 for them to rebuild it, then buy new actuator.

If you can afford to have the truck down a few days, getting your turbo rebuilt is definitely the way to go. All the reman turbos I found, including the one I got has a 1 year/100k mile warranty.

When I said about the mark up, I wasn't referring to install shops. I was referring to supplier mark up. I got my turbo for $1800 with a waived core charge. Regular price through that supplier is $3400ish + $600 core. So, if they're willing to sell a $3400 turbo for $1800, then there is no way they paid $1800 for it. Probably around $1400 or less. The whole auto parts thing is a racket. And just in case your wondering on how the turbo was packaged, it came in a heavy duty vacuum sealed bag with actuator attached, with two baggies containing all gaskets and seals for install (plus some extras), inside a sealed cardboard box with custom formed foam insulation. In other words, very professional. When my dad told me the price, I expected just a turbo with no packaging, rebuilt by Billy Bobs Turbos with a tail light guarantee and no gaskets or seals.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts