Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a safe and effective way to clean out your turbo at home, without having the dealer drill and tap the housing. if so are there favored products and proceedures. pictures are always nice. im getting ready to do deletes and i want it spotless before i start. thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
was wondering the same thing. was interested in maybe doing it in the driveway instead of takeing it to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Several folks on here have done this however it requires a good degree of mechanical skill and attention to detail to ensure that it goes back together correctly.

I'm not sure how things are now but it used to be that used 6.7L turbos could be had cheap on ebay which make for good fodder to experiment with prior to taking down the one in service on your truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well i am not a professional at it but when installing my 5" TBE i noticed soot in the turbo. So looked into it a lil bit and found Sea Foam. So during an oil change i poored a 1/3 of a can into the intake and the rest into the oil. Let sit for 10-15 min then fired up the truck. Didnt start right away but when it did boy did it blow a bunch of crap out the tail pipe. then drove around for an hr then changed the oil. Needless to say the turbo sounds better both spoolin up and when coolin down. Just an FYI sounds like a good cheap way to maybe clean it out even if its only a little bit.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how did you pour it into your turbo and or intake?

·
Registered
23 Posts
right down the intake tube.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i bought an extra turbo on ebay a few months ago. totally dismantled it and cleaned it in my driveway. now for $150 i have an extra clean as new, no shaft play turbo in my attic just in case. pretty cool to totally break one down and see the internals.

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
mastercrafter,

Any pictures?????

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
not that smart i guess.. didn't even think of taking pictures. i bought the dang thing and it sat in my garage for weeks. then i got home from work early one day and decided to clean it up. took a couple hours from start to finish. pretty good deal for $150 when you consider what a new turbo goes for. and it really wasn't even that sooted up. i think it was like the turbo that was replaced on mine @ 9000 miles. that was before the whole cleaning port thing, so the dealer just replaced the turbo, no questions asked. nice to have a backup in the wings though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
where do you buy those cleaning kits that the dealer uses? My dealer won't clean mine unless it throws a code. The day before I did the deletes (15,000miles), I got the code, but didn't get it cleaned. Seems like it's not spooling up fast enough. It could use a good cleaning.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Well i am not a professional at it but when installing my 5" TBE i noticed soot in the turbo. So looked into it a lil bit and found Sea Foam. So during an oil change i poored a 1/3 of a can into the intake and the rest into the oil. Let sit for 10-15 min then fired up the truck. Didnt start right away but when it did boy did it blow a bunch of crap out the tail pipe. then drove around for an hr then changed the oil. Needless to say the turbo sounds better both spoolin up and when coolin down. Just an FYI sounds like a good cheap way to maybe clean it out even if its only a little bit.

And what happens if you try to compress a fluid that gets introduced into your cylinder? I don’t think you want to find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts