Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

turbo change

2610 29
I want to swap out the stock turbo on my 93. Should I swap the whole thing or swap the compressor side and the exhaust housing. 79 ford f250 93 cummins swap
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for the better side of 400 hp. My truck is my toy, I also do some sled pulling with it.

· Registered
648 Posts
id say youll need an super hx 40 or an s300 for that kind of power. so youll need a whole new turbo. id say about 300hp is all a 60mm upgrades any good for.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tranny shifts good, fluid is nice. How much power will it take before. well you know.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tranny is a 518/ overdrive

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Will a hx40 turbo bolt to my manifold. I already have a 94 type elbow and 4" down pipe? thanks for your help.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already have a 94 down pipe. What do you think of the hx40 turbos on ebay. Some new ones sell for under 400.00$ I understand the turbo spec thing now, thanks

· Premium Member
861 Posts
well your tranny will hold a 1000 horse if you dont give it any throttle. its really just how you use it is what breaks them. get a good oil cooler and a temp gauge, keep it cool and if you feel it start slipping let off, dont continue to lay into the throttle. and if you ever rebuild most guys on here will tell ya call Dave Gorend. and the reason they tell ya that is cause his products are great and he has great service. my second choice would be suncoast, and people have had good results with DTT also. turbo selection is tough. my best way is to ask alot on other posts and see what others have and what they have for fuel. like what you plan to do to your truck will make the choice right. not just going by someone telling you oh get this size turbo and it would be good. may be right or you may hate it. not one turbo fits every truck and driver combination. i my self have an Aurora 3000. when i got it i loved it i grew into the turbo and fit my app perfect. now im leaning on growing out of it and might be looking to do twins casue i want to tow and have low egts but i want more air. most turbos on ebay are foreign junk. they say Hx-40 because they are simular in size but most likely will go through bearings then you cant find parts for them, then your screwed. the 94 down pipe should fit on your stock h1c turbo. your swaping into an older ford right? then its up to fit and test cause every swap is different and y acant say it wont work if you dont try it. but if you upgrade to a hx-40 or s300 or another turbo it might not fit due to smaller size. stock is i think 3" and something and the turbos mentioned above are 4". fill out your signature and others can help ya out easier. good luck man

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked to Rich from gillett Diesel he said to replace the compressor side with a ch-05 and a th-05 for the exhaust side. these are around 450.00 for both. One problem is getting the th-05 they seem to be on back order. So I guess 5-6 hundred to spend on turbo up grade.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After turbo mods and fuel mods hopefully 350-400, but will end up closer to 300-350. I'm going to turn pump up, change injectors. Would like to put an air dog pump on it. How much do you think i'll get?

· Registered
14,163 Posts
for that money, you can buy a nice used 60mm hybrid that will bolt right in... if you set aside a few hundred more, you can buy a nice used S300 based turbo and the necessary downpipe and you'll have a FAR nicer turbo... something with modern technology and efficiency. I would suggest a HE351 off of an 04.5-07 5.9 that you can buy for a few hundred, but the downpipe would require welding and might be cost prohibitive if you don't have a welder

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exhaust is no problem, I do custom exhaust work. Have a nice mig. Are all the turbo mounting flanges the same on 5.9s?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.