Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! My boost gauge has been lagging behind and my truck give an occasional sputter at constant high speeds. i had a k&n stage 3 on the truck and was told by a buddy of mine that the oiled filters can let oil in and mess up sensors. so, here i am, i took the k&n off and threw the BHAF on (runs a hell of alot better by the way) but when i bought the sensor from the dealership they said i had to buy a harness for the new sensor. so here is my question, does that harness just plug in to the original plug and then into the new sensor or what? hopefully someone has dealt with this before. fyi its a 2001 6spd

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you changing the MAP sensor??? I changed mine without changing any harness, just plug and play.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The oiled filters cause problems with certain MAF (mass airflow) which I believe most diesels do not have, nor need.

The resistance wire type MAF sensor uses a small wire passed through the airflow to measure resistance as the wire cools from airflow. If oil gets on it, the oil insulates the wire making it sluggish. THIS IS CAUSED by not properly maintaining your filter. If you don't let it properly dry, or over oil it, the airflow pulls oil off the filter.

The map sensor on the dodges is on the manifold, I believe, so even if some oil made it all the way past the turbo and intercooler, it would have to climb to the top to fool with the map sensor.

I would be worried about the lift pump/vp44. Do a search, you will see what I mean. DON'T DELAY. If your boost is "lagging" I would say it is because the vp is defueling. The sensor has absolutely no connection to the turbo. The only thing that can drop the turbo pressure is the mechanical waste gate opening or less fuel being delivered.

It is possible that the MAP (boost) sensor could defuel the engine by sending a bad signal to the ECM, but if you have a boost gauge, it is completely isolated from all that, and only giving you information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts