Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys any comments will be appreciated, but I blew my turbo and was a little over 5 min from the house so I drove it to the house anyways. I had a trailer on so it was a bad situation. But I lost tons of power by the time I got home could only go about 30 mph. Of course I’m going to take off my catalytic converter every piece to my air system, and intercooler to make sure no metal is hanging around. I just want to know if that loss of power is excessive or that’s normal. I’m tripping bc I just rebuilt my motor.

·
1,807 Posts
How do you know the turbo is gone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a bunch of rattle in the from the pieces that broke off from my turbo in the catalytic converter. It made a god awful noise and a bunch of smoke come out the tail pipe. And now the blow by

·
1,807 Posts
You'll be fine if you didn't overheat anything. Do you have a pyro? Best you can do is what you're going to do and clean everything out. Put a new turbo on it and pay close attention to the engine.

It's unlikely that any pieces made it past the intercooler. If the inducer came apart.

Do you have the turbo removed? What parts of the turbine are damaged? Inlet or exhaust? Both?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll be fine if you didn't overheat anything. Do you have a pyro? Best you can do is what you're going to do and clean everything out. Put a new turbo on it and pay close attention to the engine.

It's unlikely that any pieces made it past the intercooler. If the inducer came apart.

Do you have the turbo removed? What parts of the turbine are damaged? Inlet or exhaust? Both?
I do not have a pyro, I just picked up my new turbo I haven’t had a whole lot of time to take it off so I can’t say exactly what’s broke off of it. I know enough it’s trashed tho. I’m going to take the time to take it off tomorrow and get this stuff rolling. I do feel a little relieved hearing that from my buddy and you saying most likely nothing got to my engine. Man fingers crossed bc I been stressed this past day

·
Registered
728 Posts
Blow by checked at oil filler cap?
what colour was the smoke. Black would be no boost & gray would be consuming oil.
When my turbo failed, the shaft snapped in half. I was pulling a 6% grade pulling a 6000# trailer. Had to clear the hill & find a safe spot to pull over. Within that 1 1/2 miles, the engine consumed over 10ltrs. Never seen a smoke show like that before. 1/2 the oil went into the intake stream & other 1/2 went out the exhaust. Lucky I did not have an engine run away & no engine damage was done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes checked at filler cap. And at the filler cap was grey smoke when running down the road was strait black smoke coming out the tail pipe. So I did check my oil and was low so I’m sure my engine consumed oil. I’m glad your truck is fine man it’s a nerve racking thing for me at least haha

·
Registered
728 Posts
Check at intake horn to see if you injested oil. If so, the inter cooler will be holding some & need to be cleaned out.
I dumped out probably 2ltrs oil from mine. I then flushed with 4ltrs paint thinner filled by several boiling hot water with simple green flushes. When it was finally clean, I stood it on its side & let it air dry for a couple of days.

·
Registered
728 Posts
For the exhaust was another ordeal. Upon startup with new turbo, it smoked hard. I found a deserted road & gave it several full throttle runs till the smoke cleared. Went hone & cleaned both sides of the box of all the oil (duel exhaust)
Then I did it 1 more time & cleaned the truck again lol. Eventually blew out & burned off the remaining residule

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well when I do finally do get all this crap worked out and get the new one on. I’m going to have to take at easy on the the throttle bc of the rebuild so I’ll probably let it do it’s thing at least until I get past 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
It's better to work the engine then baby it to break it in.

Verify your turbo oil feed and drain tube are working properly. If something is plugged up, that's possibly why your turbo blew.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts