Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Cummins Forum,

I started out a couple weeks ago with my First Cummins Dodge after owning my 2001 Ram 2500 Gasser since it was new. I had come to the point in life where i saw the opportunity to get a diesel and went for it. The wife said we needed more space for a kid and dog so i said a Diesel quad cab will last forever but it has to be 03-05. Not knowing much about trucks herself i showed her the pictures and here i am.

All the while knowing that with the right programmer, software, and Gauges there were very few limits on this truck, especially since it came with a welded in 5th Wheel.

My Background is Subaru's, building and Tuning them. Ive worked closely with the opensource crew at Romraider to be on the beta teams for new development on the Roms as well as helping find table logic within the ECU. I thought it would be a great time to use some of this from the start with this dodge and share my how to and findings with my new project. With the subaru it was already at 600Whp before i figured out people were interested in how i got it to that so it made sense to start now with the dodge.

Here is what i am proposing. Instead of worrying about max hp, I plan to set a goal for that this week "realistic goal" but im more interested in how we can change the timing tables with the UDC devices where we Cruise, Tow, and use the truck 99% of the time when we aren't racing someone. To do this i will be using a few devices listed below.

Smarty SSR
Smarty UDC Dongle
Edge Insight CTS with EGT Probe

My Baseline will include MPG and EGT's Stock. My truck has the following modifications done to it.

Gutted Intake
Turbo Silencer Removed
K&N Filter
Cat and Muffler Delete "Straight 4 inch Pipe from the turbo"

Thats it.

I plan to setup Pictures of before/after, Findings within the maps and What the end results will be for you.

The only baseline i have over the past 1000 Miles is 18.5MPG average. The insight was installed last night so i will be starting this journey this week.

If this is something you would like me to do a writeup on please respond and i will go ahead. If its not of interest then Ill just do it and be done.

Looking forward to getting to know people here and learning what i can about the tricks of these trucks.

Tony

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Initial Findings with UDC are interesting. I really like the ability to truely tune this truck and not pick a number.

The only issue im having is finding answers on what torque management actually manages. It has to limit or reduce something either Timing or Fuel to get this agressive/passive. Waiting on Smarty to get back to me on what that is before i go too much farther forward.

Update is i have remapped all of the timing for lower loads, highway cruising, and cruising in the town.

Torque Management is now setup as correct as i will have it down low as i wait for answers.

Its much much better and definetly worth the money already for the UDC dongle to gain access to the full rom.

The GUI for it is always progressing as im seeing. Great Feature would be Interpolation to smooth out how bad the map is in places but i cant complain right now.

Updates with EGT findings after the weekend.

Stock EGT on highway all with cruise control @ 15F outside numbers were pulled off 60 mile commute home:

70MPH 600F @ 12PSI
75MPH 520F @ 15PSI

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I believe TQ mgmt. is a product of load vs throttle at any given rpm.

I believe load is a calculated number based on how much fuel at any given RPM can be applied to a maximum of 100% based on the volume of air available and the engines volumetric efficiency.

Marco from Smarty has chimed in a few times trying to say from what I understand that we have to think of torque management in this program as throttle percentage. More torque management or the higher the number =more numbed TQ mgmt.= more load and fuel with less throttle input.

That's my total guess understanding.

Subscribed to your documentation and testing.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
All of the tables are based on load except for TQ Mgmt.

Tq mgmt. is what puts the power to the trans and ground.

Turn tq mgmt. way down and see the load is always lower and the truck goes slower.
In reality I guess your allowing tq mgmt. to remain which means it's more like a factory truck protecting the drive train. Not applying power or allowing fuel/load.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow Up #1 Rev 13

So here is my update after a month or so of tweaking and commuting. I have over 3000 miles new on the truck since i got the programmer. (2) 400 Miles trips of highway from MA to CT for work. The only feedback i dont have a lot of is around town driving MPG (All Calculated by hand). I have a few emails into Smarty about what initially happens when you link a Smarty SSR to the Dodge, as well as some tables i would like access to for future development. As ive been reading in the other Smarty UDC library findings some of the sample maps create rattle under cruise and spool up. Plus those maps are so rich.... Way too smokey for me. The target here was MPG and a light gray haze out the pipe under WOT. I still have not done much tuning up top just gradually increasing the Timing as I see fit. I will hit the Dyno soon

Today I am down from over 600F at 70mph to 512 at 70mph, at 75mph im down to the same or a tad more then 512 as well. It was lower but i added in a FTE 17 inch resonater which brought it up 50 degrees or so.

MPG on highway with some messing around is now at 18.5MPG consistently.
under WOT i am up to 30+ PSI with more timing..

I have smoothed out the issue that the map had with accelerating from a stop (the unwanted haze at 30-40% load) by smoothing out the fuel rail pressure down low.

Cleaned up the Fuel Rail pressure up top as well.

Timing has been significantly added in both the cruise area as well as up top under WOT but still not anything near the revo5 tune that is supplied in the UDC (for WOT) "No Rattle"

The Truck is setup with Pre-Injection on, 120mph speed limiter, Shift limiting is on, RPM is at 4000 and it pulls hard to 4000 (still looking into why)

Below are some screen shots of where i am at now. Note that if your wondering how your truck would be effected throwing on a 15k pound trailer i haven't done significant tuning "yet" in that section. I plan on towing around a car to get to that part of the map.

I think a better way of showing how much different the fuel rail pressure is from what it was is better with this color scheme which i modified for another ECU Flashing programming called ECU Flash.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. Screen shots are below and Ill have another update soon!

Torque Management:

Wastegate Pressure:

Timing:

Fuel Rail pressure:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
The silencer,cat and muffler removal will only drive you and your wife nuts in the noise department.
Do a search of K&N filters.
Can't beat a stock airbox with a Home Depot www.psmdiesel.com mod w/4" stock filter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The silencer,cat and muffler removal will only drive you and your wife nuts in the noise department.
Do a search of K&N filters.
Can't beat a stock airbox with a Home Depot www.psmdiesel.com mod w/4" stock filter.
Im sorry I Must have explained it wrong. Initially when i bought it, it had nothing but a straight 4 inch pipe all the way to the turbo. I installed the FTE 17" to quiet it down.

I have the K&N filter as explained in the initial post and gutted the rest of the intake which is presenting great results, typically 8-10 degrees over outside Temp according to the IAT im seeing on the EDGE device.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The TQ table will only effect you fuel under 2000-2200ish RPM range. Also you will notice that you can hit 100% engine load with out maxing the TQ table out at 100%. I don't know what other people are doing but the highest I have ran my TQ table at was 83. Any higher I didn't really see any gains other then smoke.. I currently run mine now in the 70's for a max. The last two row 75%-100% can really help eliminate smoke at WOT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also you are using the 1.4v timing calculator that has been created by John at Coffman?? I don't even know how people are programming with out it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The TQ table will only effect you fuel under 2000-2200ish RPM range. Also you will notice that you can hit 100% engine load with out maxing the TQ table out at 100%. I don't know what other people are doing but the highest I have ran my TQ table at was 83. Any higher I didn't really see any gains other then smoke.. I currently run mine now in the 70's for a max. The last two row 75%-100% can really help eliminate smoke at WOT.
This is an issue i have brought up with Smarty as well. If it say 100% engine load on the Edge Device but i only allow 85% on WOT in the torque table does the ECU interpret this differently but not put out on the obdii port the correct value its seeing.

The torque table im using along with the rail pressure and injector timing under wot produces no large amount of black smoke it is a light gray haze which is what im told is optimal by multiple sources.

the last two rows specifically are where i did my tuning to add/subtract fueling and yes if you had a smoking issue you could eliminate it however the timing of interest for this truck is under light load to produce a higher MPG then stock.

You also asked if im using a timing calculator. The answer is no i am not. Im using the Custom definition i made for ECU Flash to make my changes as it has better color displays, Interpolation ability, and easier to follow what is going on in addition to my findings off previous Tuning experience with other makes/models. Smarty UDC allows you to copy and paste into Excel, you Copy that and put it into my custom definition for ECU Flash and when done paste it back into Excel. The values are then able to be copied back selecting all the text too into the UDC software. I then take the feedback from what the truck takes, what im happy with it taking and where my ideal MPG number is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So you basically set up your own spread sheet to see what you want.. Cool. Just wanted to let you know its out there. Keep us posted on how you make out for MPG in that 05..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts