Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Who Should I go with for a custom tune?

• Fire Punk Diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rob Duggan 5-9 Diesel LLC (MM3power.com)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • NRE Performance

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Mitch - CCS tunes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Tune it Myself

Votes: 2 20.0%

Tuning Options

2658 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Hennessy79
So I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide on who I want to go with for a custom tune. Figured I'd make a little poll and see what you all think! I'll also give you the info on my truck and what my plans are with it... Whoever I get to write the tune, I'm fairly confident I'm going to get the MM3 tuning platform, I'd really like to have on the fly tune changes. I would consider EFI Live but unfortunately my truck is a 2005.

I'm also considering doing the tuning myself, I've always found it interesting and love learning new things!

As far as the tune goes, I'm looking for an mpg tune, tow tune, and a high power tune maybe also a 12V tune just for fun, but that's not necessary. I'll be updating the tunes with any new major modification to get full potential from everything. (So the cost of tuning revisions is something to consider)

I really like the idea of Rob's Transmission tuning. The 48RE stock mapping is not great as many know. That's something I couldn't do myself, I'd just stick to engine tuning. But maybe an anteater would do the trick instead? Not sure which way is best.

Truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins with 253000kms on it (about 160000 Miles)

Current Mods:
NAPC "Race" Series 48RE (claims good up to 800hp) C/W Triple disc torque converter
BD Diesel Billet Flex Plate
BBI Stage 0.5 Injectors (24% Larger than stock)
S&B Cold Air Intake
MBRP Catback 4" exhaust
Bully Dog GT tuner (will become obsolete now)

Future Mods:
Air Dog or FASS Lift Pump
Dual CP3 pump
Larger Single Turbo (have considered compounds but would like to keep the cost down)
May do an aftermarket manifold and 5" turbo back exhaust at the same time as turbo (haven't decided yet)
Intake Manifold Horn
ARP Head studs
Valve Springs & Pushrods
Coolant Bypass kit (to keep rear cylinder temps in check)

I think the goal for my truck will be around 600-650 HP. I still want to maintain reliability and towing capability as best as possible. I don't tow heavy often but it's nice to still be able to. I'm definitely excited to start laying out this plan for my truck. It'll be a step by step process probably over the next couple of years and I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot along the way.

If you would recommend anything else to add to the list or someone I haven't listed for tuning options feel free to give your advice.

Looking forward to seeing your opinions!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I have a Rob MM3 tuner with 4 tunes. I only run the tow and 12V tunes. Tow when towing and 12V when solo. As far as I know, Rob is the only tuner who has figured out how to tune the 48RE. He has a video where he is towing that demonstrates the trans features. I like the speed and features of the MM3. Changing tunes on the fly, FAST up load, logging and 4 different digital dashes.

Reactions: tbuntin

· Premium Member
6,233 Posts
I can't give any advice on those tuners, but I can tell you that you won't need dual CP3s to reach your HP goal. You can use that dual CP3 money and use it for compounds instead. Compounds will be a better choice for towing.

Reactions: brooklyn 12 and krs

· Admin/Mod
10,359 Posts
I have Rob's tunes via HP Tuner for my 03 and they are great.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm surprised you are having issues with Rob's tunes. I have a single disk billet converter, upgraded valve body and other mild trans upgrades. My shifts are firm, but not harsh. 3rd to 2nd downshift is quick, firm not harsh. I like that the trans downshifts without putting the pedal to the mat. Could be how our two transmissions differ in upgrades.

What are your mods, injectors, turbo, ect?

Please report back how your experience with NRE goes.

GL!

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm surprised you are having issues with Rob's tunes. I have a single disk billet converter, upgraded valve body and other mild trans upgrades. My shifts are firm, but not harsh. 3rd to 2nd downshift is quick, firm not harsh. I like that the trans downshifts without putting the pedal to the mat. Could be how our two transmissions differ in upgrades.

What are your mods, injectors, turbo, ect?

Please report back your experience with NRE goes.

GL!
I’ll definitely report back. Just ordered them last night. The trans has a billet torque converter and a mild build but as far as the truck only things done to it are a 4” straight pipe and a afe intake and a cat fuel filter kit. Otherwise it’s stock

· Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins 48RE Automatic Transmission
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have Rob's tunes via HP Tuner for my 03 and they are great.
Oh I didn't actually notice that Rob could tune with HP Tuners. I've been doing a ton of research recently on all this stuff and am starting to lean towards HP Tuners instead... this is good news!

Was Rob able to give you multiple tunes using HP Tuners? Are you able to have on the fly tune changes with HPT?

Also, with the tunes you got from Rob, are they locked or are you able to edit them with your HPT Suite? Mainly curious about the transmission tuning, would be nice to be able to edit it a bit to my own liking if I wanted.

· Admin/Mod
10,359 Posts
I got the 2 tune package, there are others.
Shift-on-the-fly is not anything I need, but here is some info. > SOTF Tuning
Yes, they are locked.
Don't know about the transmission part, as I have an NV5600.

· Registered
34 Posts
I’ll throw another vote in for Robb.
I just contacted him after 18 months for some secondary custom tuning that is not really under his purview, and he agreed to do it.
My original 3-tune order from him is amazing, and he was happy to tweak the tunes to fix everything I wanted. It’s so much better that that garbage tuner in Canada that sent me his non-canbus tunes and then refused to talk to me about any issues.

I have no experience with the other options hat youare considering, but for customer service, Robb is THE one to go to.

Reactions: Alcharger

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Update with Rob. Rob and I have been communicating back and forth on his Eco tunes. I send Rob data from logs and he has sent me several updates. Rob is collecting info to update his tune library.

With conscious driving, solo, I get between 24 and 26 MPG highway with my 2WD 5.9 48RE. I've documented this on this forum.

23 and 25 MPG over 1300 mile Solo Trip

Compared to the other 3 tunes, the Eco tune has much less power. This is to be expected. When I tow, I load the Tow tune. If I want some performance I have 2 performance tunes to choose from. MM3 switches tunes on the fly.

I have my tuner set to start up in the Eco tune. I get some heat in the engine and trans running a mild tune. Often I forget I'm in Eco driving around town. The cost of fuel has trained my right foot....

Here is a link with some of the features of his tunes including tuning with MM3, EFI Live and HP Tuners:

Proprietary Parameter 5.9 Cummins & REAL 48RE Custom Tuning!

· Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins 48RE Automatic Transmission
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I ended up going with Rob, been running it for a few months now. Absolutely amazing tune. I got 5 tunes, tow, street, high performance 12 Valve, sport, and race. I start the truck in street and absolutely love it. Transmission tunes are excellent and the truck is stupid fast now. It blows me away in street and theres still a lot more to come, when I turn on the race tune its absolutely insane! Can’t wait to mod it some more and have his tunes revised to suit. Excellent tuning and customer service from him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
323 Posts
So are any of you guys using Robb's tunes via HP Tuners? Last time I talked to him, he said he'd rather I got rid of my current setup and convert to the MM3.

· Registered
209 Posts
I have some of Robs tunes with no complaints. I did however have to have him eliminate the trans tuning due to something in my rebuilt trans VB did not agree with his tunes and it would "lug" the engine bad while towing.

The past year I have been learning from a few on this forum to tune my own truck and am really enjoying the process. My goal is to be able to adjust the trucks tuning with any modification i make without having to play "back and forth" with a tuner.

Customs tunes vs that Bully Dog are night and day!!!

Reactions: Alcharger

· Registered
34 Posts
Is there a new link or a way to get in touch with Rob at mm3tunes?
Unless there's some temporary issues the www.mm3tunning.com link I found here does not work.

I'm currently running EFI Live and thinking about switching to get better mileage.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,020 Posts

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Thank you! That link works.
Ask for the Eco tune he did for Alcharger in Alabama. He and I worked on several revisions of this tune.

Good Luck!

· Registered
209 Posts
Ask for the Eco tune he did for Alcharger in Alabama. He and I worked on several revisions of this tune.

Good Luck!
What did you have Rob adjust with your Eco tune? I stopped running my Eco because it has some timing rattle that I don't care for.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
What did you have Rob adjust with your Eco tune? I stopped running my Eco because it has some timing rattle that I don't care for.
I have never any rattles, that is engine rattles! Have you logged on your MM3 and sent it to Rob when it rattles? I would think Rob would revise your Eco tune.

I adjusted the timing, then reduced torque on take off and air density limiter added. To be honest, it takes more peddle to get going BUT this is an ECO tune. I did a couple WOT the other day. At WOT it makes good power. Reduced take off power helps FE>

If I want more starting line power I load a different tune.

My logs on Cruise Control showed the power coming on and off when going down a long, gentle grade. The he fixed that.

I've posted graphs of logs showing how his revised Eco tunes improved on each revision.

Reactions: Hennessy79
1 - 20 of 21 Posts