Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my current situation,
I have a 06 ram 2500 that was built by the previous owner, the story gets a little sketchy where the first owner blew the rods out of the block. the guy i bought it off of put a new motor in it and the mods list me and my shop have came up with is, 33% over injectors, 33% over cp3 fass 190, ARP 625s and upgraded push rods/springs. The truck had a AFE bladerunner GT and the shop that had built the truck left the air filter off the turbo when they put a air filter on and i dusted the turbo. I put an industrial injection phatshaft 64mm. The truck ran perfectly before i got the new turbo, i ordered EFI live from optimal and mat set me up for 33% over tunes and that about all i got. My high idle does not work (the truck stalled) and it smokes like hell and my EGTS are running pretty hot around 10-12 on the tow tune and around 14-15 wide open on race. i data logged and mat says its fine, my shop says it needs to be adjusted and wanted another opinion so here i am, the log below is wide open on race let me know what yall think

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The new turbo was put on ran for a week, then re tuned with Mat, it ran about the same with the new tunes
To me, this means that it ran bad before the tunes? I don’t think that’s what you mean to say?

It had no smoke and ran like originally before mats tuning? The truck ran great with no smoke, after you did injectors, cp3 and turbo? Then replacement turbo, still ran good? Then mats tuning, smoke and issues?

Sorry I could just be over tired lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me, this means that it ran bad before the tunes? I don’t think that’s what you mean to say?

It had no smoke and ran like originally before mats tuning? The truck ran great with no smoke, after you did injectors, cp3 and turbo? Then replacement turbo, still ran good? Then mats tuning, smoke and issues?

Sorry I could just be over tired lol
I wrote it kinda confusing.
Before the new turbo and mats tuning it ran great.
After the turbo it was a little laggy and smoked a little.
With mats tunes and the new turbo it is super Smokey but lower EGTS. It’s kinda confusing to me

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I wrote it kinda confusing.
Before the new turbo and mats tuning it ran great.
After the turbo it was a little laggy and smoked a little.
With mats tunes and the new turbo it is super Smokey but lower EGTS. It’s kinda confusing to me
Did the new turbo clean up smoke once it lit? Even at wot?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also where did it smoke? Bottom or top end? What’s size exhaust housing on the phatshaft?
It smokes all the way around now, it clears up wide open a little but still smokes, the waste gate is set at 45. If I recall correctly it’s a 14 cm housing. I thought with the bigger turbo it would keep the smoke down and cool egts but it has gone the opposite direction

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It smokes all the way around now, it clears up wide open a little but still smokes, the waste gate is set at 45. If I recall correctly it’s a 14 cm housing. I thought with the bigger turbo it would keep the smoke down and cool egts but it has gone the opposite direction
I’m just talking pre tuning. If it has 14cm housing that would give reason to why it’s more laggy than the 12cm of the blade runner. If pre tuning, it couldn’t clean up the smoke. I would say ya that’s wierd. Could be some issue there and mats tuning isn’t helping. Hopefully someone smarter than me will join in. I’m just trying to ask questions to help.

I don’t know if there’s an advantage to a 14cm housing over a 12 if they are both wastegated. I would think the 12 would be better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m just talking pre tuning. If it has 14cm housing that would give reason to why it’s more laggy than the 12cm of the blade runner. If pre tuning, it couldn’t clean up the smoke. I would say ya that’s wierd. Could be some issue there and mats tuning isn’t helping. Hopefully someone smarter than me will join in. I’m just trying to ask questions to help.

I don’t know if there’s an advantage to a 14cm housing over a 12 if they are both wastegated. I would think the 12 would be better.
I’m totally fine with the lag, pre tune the smoke wasn’t as bad as after the tune, there’s no boost leaks either so I’m stumped with what the issue is, we thought the turbo would be a good match unless we all are off on the amount of fuel there. I’m thinking about having the injectors flow tested if we can figure this out with data logs.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
IMO there is room to clean up the smoke, make it spool better and have better egt control.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I would have injectors checked, flowed and possibly id any issues
Yeah that was my plan but I don’t think it’s the injectors, it ran good before and there’s nothing that leads me to think theirs bad injectors.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Curious, how did you determine they were 33% over injectors?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts