Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Stick it out with mat. Jmo you’ll do yourself no favours stopping in the middle of this. All the good stuff I’ve read about mat, haven’t read many problems. But it’s your money. There’s lots of smart guys on here that know their stuff. Your injectors have 40k on them too?

If your truck smoked pre tune.... and the reason for tuning was power. I would think adding fuel would smoke more.

If you can rule out injectors. And maybe someone with better knowledge can help with turbo size to see if it can cause smoke.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Really

really?
I don’t really know where else to go then, mat and levon seemed to be the only good ones left.
They have gone down hill because they would rather focus on racing and events than their customers. Case in point.... That's the 5th racing event this year they have gone to this year. Just a week ago.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I want to say it took about a week for Lavon to write the tunes, which seemed fair. I did the datalogs that day and sent them in. Waited a week and not even a confirmation they got them. Called Rick, said he'd make sure they were looked at. Another week goes by, nothing. Then I was pestering almost every other day, only to get told, "looks fine"

which I personally think was a lie, Mat found a weird issue with my truck he fixed and it feels insanely better than firepunks ever did. Imagine firepunk tunes have the same issue, but who knows since they wouldn't respond to me.

Under the 1 year tuning support I tried 3 weeks to get them to look at a log for an issue I was seeing with the tune and get their thoughts. Rick was an a$$hole, couldn't get them to bother to look, finally gave up and switched to Mat.

As just mentioned, They always post about how they are selling trucks and stuff to focus on the business, but then they build a new race truck. They are definitely racing first, customers last.

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This ever get logged on the stock tune?

Reactions: Aburdett

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
This ever get logged on the stock tune?
Yessir, I am having another guy that helped me out with pulling the stock file to send to mat look at them because I have no idea what I’m looking at. When I get the results back I’ll post them up. I also sent him the logs with Mats tunes and I’m gonna see if he says injectors or not. If he says it is then then I’ll get them replaced. I just want more confirmation on it being my injectors going out before I drop a few thousand.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So does it still do the weird really high number on the stock tune when monitoring injector balance? Really just curious at this point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So does it still do the weird really high number on the stock tune when monitoring injector balance? Really just curious at this point.
It does but the RPMS also jump up to like 8,000 And the misfire min. Timing jumps to like -163° so I have no idea what’s going

·
Registered
20 Posts
My only tid bit for you is... did you do a egr delete and leave the egr kit on on accident... people have done this in the past including my buddy who just did it this last weekend. He took it off and all the problems stopped. I know my tune with mat sucked for the first 500 miles and it was just my truck getting used to it I guess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My only tid bit for you is... did you do a egr delete and leave the egr kit on on accident... people have done this in the past including my buddy who just did it this last weekend. He took it off and all the problems stopped. I know my tune with mat sucked for the first 500 miles and it was just my truck getting used to it I guess.
It never had an EGR

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to hear your troubles. Have you considered talking to Rob at MM3 Tuning? Granted you'd have to get rid of your HP stuff and go MM3, but he has really good reviews and hes the one who did the tuning on my 04.5.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sorry to hear your troubles. Have you considered talking to Rob at MM3 Tuning? Granted you'd have to get rid of your HP stuff and go MM3, but he has really good reviews and hes the one who did the tuning on my 04.5.
I’ve talked to Rob, I still have my smarty touch from before I went with HP. I would just rather figure this out than have spent all this money on new tuning and just go back to what I already had and waste it all.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nope, he still insists it’s injectors so I’m going to try and find a set just to see if it fixes it.
What were your Iinjectors? Age of them? According to your logs and the experiences in this thread, injectors might be an issue.

Mat seems to know his stuff. And it looks to come from trial and error and knowledge of the system. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
What were your Iinjectors? Age of them? According to your logs and the experiences in this thread, injectors might be an issue.

Mat seems to know his stuff. And it looks to come from trial and error and knowledge of the system. Keep us updated.
Injectors were stock with 195,000. I know that’s pretty old for injectors and I should’ve listened to Mat I guess I just really didn’t want to accept the fact that id have to drop that much money lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Serious question though, the new injectors I got were a really good deal and they are 88% overs. I know that’s way too big for stock pump, and turbo but can Mat tune them down to make them work?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Serious question though, the new injectors I got were a really good deal and they are 88% overs. I know that’s way too big for stock pump, and turbo but can Mat tune them down to make them work?
You should ask Mat that question. I believe they can be detuned to work until you can get better fueling to support their full size.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yes.... and really good deal and injectors...... where from? Reman/new?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
A guy on facebook, $1100 he had a set of brand new Bosch bodies with paperwork with 88% nozzles shipped with a flow test and balancing with 1200 miles on them. I know seems sketchy but I didn’t pay full until I knew they were shipped and got a tracking number and used goods and services on PayPal

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You should ask Mat that question. I believe they can be detuned to work until you can get better fueling to support their full size.
I just wanted to make sure they could. If they can be them I’m sure Mat can

Reactions: 4everlearning
41 - 60 of 87 Posts