Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve recently got a 6 position switch with HP tunes through Mat at Optimal welding. I have them all loaded and when I switch through the tunes they all smoke like crazy and when I get on any of them too hard it starts to dump white smoke instead of black. Mat says the data logs look normal. Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sounds like timing is possibly way retarded. Mat does great tuning, what kind of fuel pressures do you have? What are all of your mods? Sorry I’m on my phone and can’t see your sig if the info is there.

·
Trying to learn
5,882 Posts
No engine mods according to his Sig.

004.5 Ram 3500, Built trans, 4” turbo back straight pipe, aFe stage 2 intake, 315/70-r17 Kanati trail hogs, 17x9 v-Tec Raptors, 3 inch leveling pucks and two inch rear blocks, stock engine, optimal welding 6 position tuning

Reactions: 4everlearning

·
Registered
873 Posts
Okay, first thing first! Put the stock tune back in it and see if the truck still has the problem or if it goes away. If it goes away it is tuning related and you need to deal with Mat. If the problem is still there, I would check where you performed the wiring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, first thing first! Put the stock tune back in it and see if the truck still has the problem or if it goes away. If it goes away it is tuning related and you need to deal with Mat. If the problem is still there, I would check where you performed the wiring.
Plug is plugged in right, although it seems to only work when I get off work. I don’t know how but when I leave work it works fine but first thing in the morning and everytime I shut my truck off after I get home and start it back up the switch won’t work. I’ve loaded my stock tune back in it and it doesn’t blow any smoke. I’ve been talking with mat over it and he said everything looks like it should but I feel like something isn’t right.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If the stock tune file doesn’t cause any problems at all, there’s not really anything that we can do for you. Mat is the only guy that I know of that truly knows how to tune for his switch. There are plenty of guys that understand the theory behind it but have never actually done it. That includes myself. Tho I am not a professional tuner by any means.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Have you been able to log it when it’s acting up?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you been able to log it when it’s acting up?
I haven’t been able to log it when the switch is working but when the switch is unplugged it goes into a 12v tune and I logged that. I also logged when the switch was plugged in and not working so I don’t know what tune it was in. He said both of them seem fine. They both feel perfectly fine it’s just all the smoke that appears doesn’t seem right.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Can you log the injector balance rates at idle and post results? It's not an end all be all test, but I am curious.

Also curious, if you get on it hard while on the stock tune, does it continue to smoke or does it clear up?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you log the injector balance rates at idle and post results? It's not an end all be all test, but I am curious.

Also curious, if you get on it hard while on the stock tune, does it continue to smoke or does it clear up?
I can try and figure out how to log them when I get off work, when the stock tune is loaded there is no smoke at all except for maybe a small black puff if I stomp on it. It acts perfect when stock.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I’m not sure if this is what you meant but this is what I got.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is that on stock or the tune? Because -/+ 4 is considered a damaged injector and Idk how you have -175 on cylinder 2.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main injection tuning in the stock tune he made for me is at 1.0 degree, when I switch to the 12v tune it is at 6.4 degrees

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that on stock or the tune? Because -/+ 4 is considered a damaged injector and Idk how you have -175 on cylinder 2.
That is on the stock tune he wrote for me based off the trucks stock tune

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And it’s weird because it goes from -175 back to -1 on cyl 2, and +190 to 1.1 on cyl 1, and -191 back to -.5 on cyl 5. They all just kind of jump around to random high numbers for a second then back to right around 0-1

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Try loading the original stock tune and log it. See if it still does it. The truck will try and alter the other cylinder's to smooth out the idle, but that seems weird.

I've never seen anyone log past I think 5 before. Never 175 lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try loading the original stock tune and log it. See if it still does it. The truck will try and alter the other cylinder's to smooth out the idle, but that seems weird.

I've never seen anyone log past I think 5 before. Never 175 lol.
I’ll give that a shot here in a bit when the computer charges back up. I’ve never had any issues with the truck even when I had my smarty touch right before I switched to this new tuning. I’m just hoping I didn’t spend all this money on the tuning just to have to buy new injectors because of it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My experience with mat has been okay,
My truck smokes a **** ton now but I think it’s a result of my turbo, he says it looks good on logs but my high idle doesn’t work(truck stalled out and won’t do it anymore) and my street tune is shitty, id say tell mat to re write your tunes.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts