Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 6sp with the mods listed in my signature. A few months ago I went camping at high altitude, 10,000 feet and the engine ran something awful. I have removed the Smarty Jr and the truck now smokes a lot less. I will be going up to high altitude again soon and I will be curious to see how the engine performs. My question is, has anyone had a MM3 tune for high altitude? I do not care about racing or towing, I do neither, but altitude is a big deal for me. Any suggestions or experiences out there?

·
Registered
984 Posts
@noah is the only one I know that’s been working on a tune for that high up. Maybe he can chime in and help you out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
That's funny, he was referring to another noah, but that's my name too. The struggle is real. I live at 9k ft and drive as to 11k regularly. I'm using hp tuners and have tried so many things. Had a smarty before and it was terrible for smoke.

You want more timing once you start building boost, less timing in low to no boost areas to build more heat to get better spool, more air, less fuel (big injectors are tough up here, mine are exergy 50 hp and they smoke), anything bigger than a stock turbo will be too laggy and make smoke, my truck with bigger turbo gets much more responsive and less smoke with the airbox removed and only a cone filter (so loud though). I have wrapped my manifold and have a turbo blanket which help a small bit.

I get more power, less smoke, and less rattle leaving the post injection turned on.

My stock injectors had little to no smoke.

In summary, stock injectors and custom tuning is what you want.

Reactions: Baja

·
Registered
984 Posts
That's funny, he was referring to another noah, but that's my name too. The struggle is real. I live at 9k ft and drive as to 11k regularly. I'm using hp tuners and have tried so many things. Had a smarty before and it was terrible for smoke.

You want more timing once you start building boost, less timing in low to no boost areas to build more heat to get better spool, more air, less fuel (big injectors are tough up here, mine are exergy 50 hp and they smoke), anything bigger than a stock turbo will be too laggy and make smoke, my truck with bigger turbo gets much more responsive and less smoke with the airbox removed and only a cone filter (so loud though). I have wrapped my manifold and have a turbo blanket which help a small bit.

I get more power, less smoke, and less rattle leaving the post injection turned on.

My stock injectors had little to no smoke.

In summary, stock injectors and custom tuning is what you want.
Looking at your profile pic, you are actually who I was referring to I believe. You are Noah on the HPTuners forum correct? I am Wgluv2hunt over there.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looking at your profile pic, you are actually who I was referring to I believe. You are Noah on the HPTuners forum correct? I am Wgluv2hunt over there.
Ah. Yep. That's me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what is everybody’s opinion on a stock 2004.5 to get better fuel mileage tuning on stock injectors or 0.5 BBi injectors. Without a lot of smoke

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would get a far better response if you started a new discussion with this topic. As well, fill out your signature, it helps us to know exactly what you have.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You would get a far better response if you started a new discussion with this topic. As well, fill out your signature, it helps us to know exactly what you have.
OK thank you I have a question for you I have been thinking about that a gear vendor and front hubs. Did you get a substantial gain in fuel mileage?

·
Trying to learn
6,237 Posts
Again a new thread. Please

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK thank you I have a question for you I have been thinking about that a gear vendor and front hubs. Did you get a substantial gain in fuel mileage?
Maybe 1, maximum would be 2 MPG. The hubs get rid of the parasitic drag of the axles and front differential spinning and that helps a bit. I have a limited slip in the front and you need hubs for that arrangement. The Gear Vendors lowered the RPM @ 70 from 2000 to 1600. Basically it adds another gear to the 6speed. Although it may not help mileage is absolutely helps with the overall interior noise and that is worth it. I drove a 03 with a automatic and it was much quieter than mine with no GV. I have to admit, I am a dedicated manual transmission guy, but concerning the NV5600, I don't really like it and I think a built automatic would be better. I have a 4 Wheel Pop Up Camper and that creates quite a bit of wind drag. Weight is negligible since I gutted it and turned it into a camper shell. Without it I was getting around 19- 20. With it I get 17.

·
Registered
171 Posts
GV is NOT a good idea behind a Cummins Common rail. It will not last long and in my humble opinion it is not strong enough to handle the torque.
I had a PSd with one and it didn`t hold up--For me it was a waste of $

Reactions: nosympathy

·
Registered
661 Posts
This went completely off topic. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This went completely off topic. Thanks.
You are right, although I am not helping at all. I will answer this last question and hopefully get back on track to "altitude and tuning". For the record, next week we will be driving up to 10,000 feet again. When we return in the following week, I will report how the engine performed with the Smarty Jr. removed.
OK, Gear Vendors. They guarantee their product even for racing purposes, up to 1,000hp. They are capable to handle a full throttle shift. I know when I turn it on or off there is a huge clunk of engagement or disengagement. For this reason I use the clutch and there is a huge difference, much smoother. I think with a automatic the shifting would be really harsh. I probably called them 5x asking them questions about the ability of the unit to handle the torque of the 6BT. Maybe he was feeding me a line, hopefully not, but he assured me that the unit was capable. There are a few rules I need to be aware of, and I am anal about following them. I will do a review one day. Right now I have about 8K on the unit, no issues.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Following...

Is engine performance your main complaint?

·
Vendor
8,337 Posts
compound turbos are the best cure for high altitude (turbo, manifold piping, studs, piping kit = about $2800)

·
Registered
324 Posts
compound turbos are the best cure for high altitude (turbo, manifold piping, studs, piping kit = about $2800)
What air filter do you recommend for a compound kit?

·
Vendor
8,337 Posts
SBfilters offer some 5" inlet and 10 or 12" long. That is what we normally do.

Reactions: White2005

·
Registered
324 Posts
SBfilters offer some 5" inlet and 10 or 12" long. That is what we normally do.
Thank you. I haven’t had much success getting filtration specs from SB in the past.
Would you happen to have access to any?

·
Registered
171 Posts
GV is NOT a good idea behind a Cummins Common rail. It will not last long and in my humble opinion it is not strong enough to handle the torque.
I had a PSd with one and it didn`t hold up--For me it was a waste of $
Baja sorry I did NOT mean to come off as a negative response. Just another SENIOR moment. I am used to being WRONG quite often these days. Hope the GV lives a long life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts