Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a bit of room to mess round with this. I would really like to put a tuner into my truck. I was looking into running the Smarty SO-3 but i wanted to ask people with tuners what they recommend.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It really depends upon what other mods are on your truck, or if it's still stock.

If you already have a FASS or DDRP lift pump, then you're good there. If not, that should be your first upgrade. If you have a stock automatic trans, that should be your next upgrade. A stock 47RE can't handle very much power and torque increases, so adding them will shorten the lifespan of the trans that much sooner.

A Smarty is only good for like 60 HP, but you can get the #6 or #3 cylinder high idle functionality programmed and working with a Smarty.

If you plan on or have 4" or bigger exhaust, air filter upgrades, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, then I'd suggest either a Quadzilla Adrenaline iQuadBT module or a Edge Juice with Attitude programmer/tuner. You can get better tuning and more hp and torque out of them.

·
Joe @ DDP Motorsports
1,426 Posts
I have quite a bit of room to mess round with this. I would really like to put a tuner into my truck. I was looking into running the Smarty SO-3 but i wanted to ask people with tuners what they recommend.
We have a ton of options for you. PM or email to discuss.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quadzilla. Especially if you ever plan to upgrade your injectors and turbo.

2002, 2500 QCSB, Auto, 4x4,HX35/40 hybrid 62/67/12, 7x 10 DAP injectors set at 325 bar, ARP head studs, Nations alternator, 3rd gen brakes, Pac Break PBRX exhaust break, Timbrens, Dynamic valve body, single billet converter, lockup switch, W-T ground mod, 4” MBRP exhaust, Isspro gauges, big line kit, Raptor 100, LPW double deep trans pan, Quadzilla V2

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you plan on a lot of upgrades and want to be able to tune every aspect of the truck, definitely go with a Quadzilla. I believe these are capable of 180hp or more but again, being able to tune it is what will get the most power from it. If you will be keeping the truck mostly stock, I would suggest an EDGE tuner, The EZ module will get you up to 60hp more and you don't have to mess with it. The EDGE comp tuner will let you switch between pre-programmed tunes in the cab, and is good for up to 120hp. The EDGE CTS tuner has a touch screen display that comes with gauges and several other features and is also good to 120hp. The Quad, comp and CTS tuners require you to tap into your VP44 as well. The smarty definitely changes the way the truck drives, but it mostly seems to alter the pedal range to increase the feeling of power. I have used all 5 tuners and I'm currently using the CTS, I liked the Quad but it was a little too technical for me and I was having trouble getting my tunes right.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quadzilla Adrenaline with iQuad Bluetooth, using tuning from TJ at 1badVP44 Tuning. I couldn't be happier with my '99 now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts