Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 and am getting tired of the slow stock feeling and dont know which way to go its driving me crazy. So what do you guys think? advice please. I have used the search and go blind reading threw a billion post of good and bad. So if anyone has a some experince they would like to share please speak up. thanks in advance. :yourock:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Smarty and TST, or Smarty and new Quad are both a great stack.

What do you have in the way of mods to support that stack?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I don't have anything to support a stack that big LOL have a airdog 150 not install but that is about it

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
put what you have in your sig!. then we can help you. i got a smarty JR, just updated it this morning and love the options you have with the POD software!

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Whats everybody doggin TST for? Ive never heard problems about them, other than it doesnt work on 06.6/07 trucks or that it doesnt like the latest Smarty for whatever reason on some guys trucks. All Ive ever heard from guys that run TST is they love it. I wish itd work on my truck, itd be on there.

Like I said, if I could run it, Id have a Smarty/TST stack on my truck...and maybe some pressure from an MP8

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
:ditto: All I ever hear about TST is bad. IMO Smarty and MP-8.
You can't label it as "bad", they make great power. That kind of a box is just bound to cause issues though. Its the nature of the beast with high performance diesels.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You can't label it as "bad", they make great power. That kind of a box is just bound to cause issues though. Its the nature of the beast with high performance diesels.
Let me rephrase that. I hear a lot of stories of the negative effects the TST has had on certain trucks. It is supposed to be a wicked stack and fuel hard but after hearing some of the horror stories I'd rather go a different route. Not trying to dog on them. Works good for some but count me out.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
i see alot of pullers are using TST. i think its just what you have on your truck, what can handle TST. from the hardcores that use it love it. im happy with my smarty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So sounds like there is not to much love for the tst. I really like the little pda set up they have on it all in one kind of package. p.s. updated sig.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
My thoughts are that the people who destroy their truck with the TST did not have any business running that powerful of a box in the first place. We have people driving around with no clue about what these boxes do and then they stack a couple of HUGE tunes on top of eachother and blow up thier motor. It's not the boxes fault the owners are dumb.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with TST. they make good power but i had a problem with all 4 trucks i put TST on....01,02,03,04...so i dont use TST anymore.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
My thoughts are that the people who destroy their truck with the TST did not have any business running that powerful of a box in the first place. We have people driving around with no clue about what these boxes do and then they stack a couple of HUGE tunes on top of eachother and blow up thier motor. It's not the boxes fault the owners are dumb.
x2. Thats how I see it, most of the time.

Its like all these posts, "Smarty Killed My Trans". No. You put Smarty on your truck, with a stock trans. You broke it. Hell, I cant keep a full billet alive in mine...

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with TST. they make good power but i had a problem with all 4 trucks i put TST on....01,02,03,04...so i dont use TST anymore.
What kind of problems did you have? Just curious, Ive always liked TSTs stuff.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I only had a wire come lose on my TST's rail and timing harness, other thaqn that this thing ROCKS stacked with the Smarty, people get them selves in trouble with the two because the get carried away with timing!

Too much timing= bad things

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I've been running the Smarty TNT-R PoD / TST / MP-8 stack for quite awhile, and it's awesome. You do have to be really careful about what you're doing, but tuned right, I believe it's one of the most powerful stacks to be had.

^^^ Like said above, be careful with timing... Let Smarty do it or TST, but NOT both. And, keep the TST to a lower level, such as 4/0, 3/0, 2/1, etc when running Smarty on 7 or 9.

--Eric

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im pretty new to the diesel scene, but i got the TST on my 03 and it is awesome, makes really good power, im very happy with it. i'd agree with everyone has said about the timing. i think everyones trouble is overloading with timing when stacking.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
Well do you have an auto or manual 03? I think if you just do a Smarty and use the 4.2 or 4.3 or even the 4.4 beta, that would be all you would need. I have yet to load the 4.2 or 4.3 on my Smarty. I hear that there unreal tho. Just start out with your gauges and a Smarty and go from there. MAKE SURE YOU GET A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE! I think they should come from the dealer with them on these trucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts