Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and new to the Cummins. I just purchased a 2020 3500 6.7, and after riding in a friends' 2020 2500 6.7 w/ TS Stryker module, I'm interested.

My question is, does anyone know first hand what to expect with EGT's? Without disconnecting the exhaust, It looks like drilling and tapping for a pyrometer carries a bit of severe risk of damage seeing that the manifold drops right to the turbo. Not to mention, I'm sure if anything ever happened, the dealership would come pointing fingers for a probe installed where there wasn't. I'm mainly interested in this product for fuel economy, as stock power is more than I'll probably ever need for towing.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this module on a 6.7, using a pyrometer or even a CTS style monitor? What temps do you see?

Also, (I'm assuming it does, but) doesn't this truck's ECM monitor and govern for unsafe/damaging operating conditions (i.e excessive exhaust temperature) that prevent any need for further temp gauging or sensors? After reading I see there are 5 sensors present, but nothing pre-turbo. I know on my old 7.3, standard gospel was 1250 degrees on the down pipe.

I'll be giving Cummins a call tomorrow to get a concrete answer on "safe" egt level for this truck, as I'm getting all sorts of answers from the internet. Thanks alot.

·
Sasquatch
3,789 Posts
You don't have to really worry about EGT on a modern Cummins that's tuned correctly. When the timing is correct, your limiting factor is your turbo capabilities and your coolant temperature. The ancient TDI in my signature is even rated to 1950 continuous degrees at the turbine inlet, the newer engines can beat that. If you do install an EGT gauge, install it in the turbo inlet. Either way, you're more likely to overspeed the turbo than overheat it.

With that said, I wouldn't trust a tuning box on these modern engines. There's literally thousands of timing parameters and you're fooling the computer that chooses those timing parameter. Incorrect timing is what will hurt the engine more so than EGT issues. I'd only trust and EFILive or other proper ECU remap from a reputable tuner with a good track record on these engines, not a box that fools ECU signals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I agree with the statement on tuning. It's my understanding that this module injects more fuel, which im assuming boosts compression for the added power/mpg? It looks like a resistor/rheostat functionally, anyone know the ins and outs?

So timing is therefore unaffected in theory, albeit producing the similar effect of advancing?

My problem with delete and tune would be warranty void and even a pyro in the manifold my dealer said will void the warranty...

If I were to gauge egt1 sensor with a cts monitor bone stock, up a severe climb with a trailer, set my alarms at at a threshold slightly below those achieved numbers, I theoretically should be good right?

Im impressed with the response of my buddies truck, and wouldn't mind the extra 2.5-3 mpg he says he gets. That said, if it's going to destroy a 60k dollar truck, I'll pass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts