Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just puchased the TS performance shift master. First will this work on a bone stock truck? Also would this take place of the valve body upgrade if I decide to do a TQ conv upgrade? I do plan on switching to Amsoil. Im not running a programmer yet. But I do tow roughly 12000lbs frequently. I will do no racing or sled pulling with this truck. I have an intake and catback now.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I just puchased the TS performance shift master. First will this work on a bone stock truck? Also would this take place of the valve body upgrade if I decide to do a TQ conv upgrade? I do plan on switching to Amsoil. Im not running a programmer yet. But I do tow roughly 12000lbs frequently. I will do no racing or sled pulling with this truck. I have an intake and catback now.
Yes, it will work on a stock trans.

No, it does not take the place of the VB in an upgrade situation

You will like the TS shiftmaster even more once you mechanically advance your trans with a VB and TC....

The later 48RE transmissions did away with the TV cable for shift adjustment and your transmission has a little shift brain type elcetronic module on it that takes the responsibilities of the old TV cable design.... this little brain talks to the ECM and gets operating conditions and driver input signal.... making the trans a more fully electronic responding unit when not at WOT.

The shiftmaster gets in the middle of this communication between ECM and Brain, and alters the communications similar to how all the plug in modules do with MAP signals and ICP signals etc.....

I think every 48RE should have a TS Shiftmaster or similar on them..... It stabilizes the transmission and makes the truck drive like cummins owners expect it to drive:thumbsup

·
Registered
841 Posts
jackthebear3, would this "TS performance shift master" actually improve the erratic shifting characteristics of the 48RE?
And you said "or similar" ... are there other brands that accomplish the same thing? tia

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
jackthebear3, would this "TS performance shift master" actually improve the erratic shifting characteristics of the 48RE?
And you said "or similar" ... are there other brands that accomplish the same thing? tia
That is it's first and foremost intention, to eliminate the flared shifts and hunting that the 48RE with the BRAIN has. As an added feature they offer a few settings so the consumer could get a little more control over their trans.

Others would be any comp controller similar to ATS trans command or suncoast's shift controller.... But nothing is as affordable and easy as the TS shiftmaster.

If you are going to buy an engine brake or want to have ultimate control you might need to look at much more expensive solutions, but for everyday driving and moderate towing without EB's this product is the ticket.

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
DTT's shift enhancer is the other comparable product. The others mentioned do much more than these two.

Both products were developed to address the shuttle shift at low throttle opening. Either should work as well as the other. The DTT piece is listed cheaper than the TS so shop around and see what kind of deal you can get.:thumbsup

Reactions: ripcurl29350

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do plan on an exhaust brake very soon. Will the TS box and a brake work well together?

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Better get on that torque converter project sooner than later as well, the brake needs lock up to be effective. They should work well together

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a Shiftmaster. Happy so far. No gear hunting. I still need a VB and TC. Cant believe the money that it takes to fix the $hit dodge gave us. A+ for the Shiftmaster

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
I do plan on an exhaust brake very soon. Will the TS box and a brake work well together?
Two totally seperate functions and applications. The shift enhancers will do nothing for or against and an EB.

All the shift enhancers do is advance the throttle pressure controller further at lower APPS postion on acceleration.

On decel the throttle is closed so nothing is done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Shiftmaster site says plug and play.
How easy is it to install?
Does it use taps, or splice/skin wire connections?
Or is it like the Boost Fooler module, goes in between connectors, clean, and easy to un-install ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bump,
anyone?

Or is it like the Boost Fooler module, goes in between connectors, clean, and easy to un-install ?

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
Its not plug and play but it is fairly easy to install. You just have to cut one wire and splice it into the TS harness.

If you use a male and female connector on the factory wiring you can plug/unplug at will to test.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its on my "to buy" list. Seems like an excellent upgrade

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
Its on my "to buy" list. Seems like an excellent upgrade
I have seen good/bad from this. If you are wanting to add mad power, spring for a VB and torque converter.

·
Premium Member
15,501 Posts
I have seen good/bad from this. If you are wanting to add mad power, spring for a VB and torque converter.
Yep, and AFAIK it is not updateable to different builds like the DTT piece. If you are trying to cure transmission issues cause by power upgrades without addressing the causes, forget it. Its a waste of money at that point.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My tranny is still holding ok, I just want it in there to help smarten up the shifting a little
:bdh:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only problem I have with my trans is when I floor it at over 2000 rpm, it downshifts and blows through my tc. does this help with that?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow - this is an old thread.... yes it would work with a lock switch switch

and to bob it sounds NO it would not help with that...

and I no longer own a shift master....traded it in on a MP-8

1 - 20 of 21 Posts