Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Edge"DRAG"Comp, which was ok, but I didnt really use it. I wanted something MILD that was adjust able for Daily Driving and Towing. So I decided to go with a TS MVP with an adjustable knob.

I installed it in just a few moments after work, It really took about 5min MAX. i started her up and she idled just like before no noticeable difference. As I do with every mod, i turn her up and see what she's got. After about 11lbs of boost she gets, and I mean its night and day difference.:shock:

I got on the interstate and I noticed the truck started suging and the sound of the truck wasnt all that great, kinda loud and clattering. :confused013: I will say my engine temp was ony about 165* and its 16* outside. Could that have anything to do with it? Also i decided to show my father what this box had and it didnt do anything like that again. Now the engine temp is a full 195*. Could this just be the ECM and TS MVP trying to cooperate with one another? I have never had anything like that before. The power still kicks in at about 11lbs, but she's quiet and smooth all the way through.

I like it, :thumbsup: but that surge and loud engine noise worried me. I plan on stacking this with a Dr. Performance module this summer, if I can get them to respond to me.

Sorry for essay.

·
Registered
523 Posts
my truck does the loud clattering thing when its cold if i give it to much skinny pedal. its always done that . its just cause its cold. once it warms up a bit its fine. hope that helps a bit:thumbsup:

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
Apparently the TS MVP has a pretty aggressive timing map. Mine does the same thing when cold. I rarely turn up the dial just daily driving. The fact that it "kicks on" (or gets aggresive - for lack of a better term) at around 8-10 psi makes it a pain in the but sometimes when cruising on the interstate. It will develop a rhythm of kicking in and back out. If you are in a situation where your Boost is holding steady over 10 psi, you can turn it wide open, the boost will drop and hold about 2 psi lower, and the egts will drop about 100-150 degrees (in my case) and let the timing rattle begin. Now for playing, Crank it up, and it feels awesome for WOT runs.

Works really well stacked with a fuel only box.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Might be a stupid question but what do you mean by timing rattle?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Apparently the TS MVP has a pretty aggressive timing map. Mine does the same thing when cold. I rarely turn up the dial just daily driving. The fact that it "kicks on" (or gets aggresive - for lack of a better term) at around 8-10 psi makes it a pain in the but sometimes when cruising on the interstate. It will develop a rhythm of kicking in and back out. If you are in a situation where your Boost is holding steady over 10 psi, you can turn it wide open, the boost will drop and hold about 2 psi lower, and the egts will drop about 100-150 degrees (in my case) and let the timing rattle begin. Now for playing, Crank it up, and it feels awesome for WOT runs.

Works really well stacked with a fuel only box.
My experience was very similar when I was still VP'd...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a few questions for the op or anyone else that wants to chime in, I really want to buy an mvp but the price seems very high. Even the used ones (if you can find one) are high! So I was going to buy a new one for the price difference compared to a used one.
I know that TS advertises 100 horse power, I have read an article in diesel power that said they gained 65 horse from it. Has anyone dynoed the box and have a number that points one way or the other.
How is the performance of the box, does it hit hard, was there a noticeable difference to any other timing boxes that you may have tried?
Would you buy the box again if you had a chance to?
Do you think the box was worth the price?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mine does the same thing some times when the truck is cold an its below 30* outside.
I also have Dr.p module by the way. I got a good deal on the tst so I upgraded to that. Pm me if ur interested in it.

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
I have a few questions for the op or anyone else that wants to chime in, I really want to buy an mvp but the price seems very high. Even the used ones (if you can find one) are high! So I was going to buy a new one for the price difference compared to a used one.
I know that TS advertises 100 horse power, I have read an article in diesel power that said they gained 65 horse from it. Has anyone dynoed the box and have a number that points one way or the other.
How is the performance of the box, does it hit hard, was there a noticeable difference to any other timing boxes that you may have tried?
Thank you in advance!
I have run most of the CAN BUS boxes ( Edge EZ, QUAD XZT+, TS MVP, ) Never ran Smarty personally , but been in lots of Smarty trucks. All of these boxes give you around 65 hp... they all give it to you somewhat differently.

I sold the XZT+ to try the MVP and was happy happy happy! The TS box has the biggest "top end" and a strong bottom and mid. All by the seat of the pants dyno of course.

ben has some great dyno charts, maybe he'll see this

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have read alot of reviews on this box and have yet to find a bad one. Also the fact that it is hard to find a used one I think it will be my next box purchase for sure. Then I will have 3 timing boxes(edge ez, Van Akain, MVP) and need to go get some dyno time to see which one is going with the fms!

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
Just keep in mind that the MVP is not the smoothest out there, like i said above.

At least it never made my truck shut off randomly:titanic:

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you in advance!
If you followed the Diesel Power Magazine, they state that there VP was weak and going out, so Im sure this would have something to do with the 65hp gain they saw.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think on bens dyno sheet it showed about a 100 HP gain. Maybe he will chime in.
Any way. I think its a great timing box only other one I ran was a puck an while I liked it the mvp is a lot better. It hits very hard an pulls really well with a fuel box. It also cools egts with heavy fueling. Also best box for towing in my opinion

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
This just makes me want to purchase it more and more, dang you people! LOL. I'm hoping it will stack well with my Smarty and TST Comp...more so the TST, I need the top end :D

Glad to see you fellas are enjoying it!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
This just makes me want to purchase it more and more, dang you people! LOL. I'm hoping it will stack well with my Smarty and TST Comp...more so the TST, I need the top end :D

You'll have to be careful about how high you turn up the MVP... I was running a TS MVP, Smarty(no timing), TST Comp and an HRVP44 and it was rough, rough, rough with the MVP turned up much over about 50%...

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
You'll have to be careful about how high you turn up the MVP... I was running a TS MVP, Smarty(no timing), TST Comp and an HRVP44 and it was rough, rough, rough with the MVP turned up much over about 50%...
Its not too bad on the SO pump.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I was wondering why my ears were burning....:D

My experience is that the MVP is a 65 hp box not 100.

The box does pull well, but I just cant get past the 7/8 psi hit. And I mean hit with the box turned up.

Towing with the gooseneck, I thought the truck was going to rip in half when that hit came on, not too fun.

Cruise control became interesting also. Entering a 90 degree sweeper at 65mph at 5psi to hit a headwind right before the apex and all of a sudden be at 20 psi. Giddyup...:shock:

Anyways...here's the goods.

My Smarty/DDP 150's/Super B as the inital dyno to compare the MVP to.

Now here's the MVP/150's/Super B and SMARTY,MVP stack /150's/Super B done on same day.

The red box is what I feel is the difference between the Smarty and MVP and when stacked the Smarty took over that part of the curve for some reason.

If I would of had more time, I wanted to make runs with the different knob settings. But after seeing the sheet, I feel that the knob controls the part that is outlined in the red box. I believe that with the knob turned down, you would see less power in that area. Just a guess on my part.

As I was going through the posts, something got me thinking. I wonder if there would be a drastic difference between an HO and SO. Maybe there is more to be had.

I am most likely going to be getting an SO pump this spring, maybe I'll dig the MVP out of it's box. As you guys know by now with me, if something gets changed the truck gets dyno'd. :thumbsup:

All in all, I think the MVP is a great box for the money and one couldn't go wrong getting one. Good power and pulls strong.

A much better choice than an EZ in my opinion.

For me, I just like manners of the Smarty better.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

I kinda have a sheet for you also. :thumbsup:

Standard PM3/Smarty #8/MVP Cranked/SDX 100's

Keep in mind my truck is an HO and I don't get bubkas from the PM3 compared to what it is capable of. This is part of me wanting the SO pump this spring and PM3 comp

·
Registered
634 Posts
So you gained about 30hp from adding the ts mvp on top of the smarty and the tst correct?
You dont have a stock run or a run with no programing correct.
How come you have no runs without the smarty? forget the programer at home?

Would be great to see a stock run compared to mvp only run an then with the mvp an tst only.

guesss i should stop complaining an get on a dyno huh. lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.